Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE11 - Ask the Candidate - Justin Collery

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Sully wrote: »
    15 posters because thats all he can afford :) I would imagine he would, if he could, dot them all around the place like the other parties.
    Which still leaves it as 15 posters. Saying he could put them all over the place if he had the money is just an assumption. If he had drilled some into walls as a banner like Cullinane and Halligan then I can understand the assumption for more posters, but the fact is he's only put up 15. Feels like you're trying to make a mountain out fo a molehill :/

Over 100 posters around the town = Thats a problem!
    15 posters dotted around the town = Don't see the harm,regardless of the beauty contest comment.

He said we wouldn't see posters around, and I've yet to see one of his. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

enough with the 15 posters, looking reallly petty

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Okay, we will leave it at that and move on from the posters. :)

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

It looks to me that sully is trying to de-rail this thread, Sully, im not sure if youve indicated in this thread already or not, but for those that are unaware, Sully is an active member of Young FG, and hence in my opinion has is own agenda by trying to derail this thread.

Justin, fair play to you for answering each and every question put to you in this thread, I would like to wish you the very best of luck on Friday.

What a blueshirt trying to divert attention away from the joke of a job they did in opposition , where the role they were meant to play was to hold the majority alliance of TDs to account.
    Does the Independent know about this:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Aquos76 wrote: »
    It looks to me that sully is trying to de-rail this thread, Sully, im not sure if youve indicated in this thread already or not, but for those that are unaware, Sully is an active member of Young FG, and hence in my opinion has is own agenda by trying to derail this thread.

Justin, fair play to you for answering each and every question put to you in this thread, I would like to wish you the very best of luck on Friday.

Derail? Hardly! The topic is asking questions to Justin. Nothing else. Thats what I am doing.

If any other politician came onto this forum, id challenge them also. But neither did, as many refused to attend the WIT Debate. Likewise, and I have choice words for candidates in Fine Gael also (it was mentioned in the local press before), if they come to my door ill speak with them there also as will most others.

He has got it fairly light so far here and myself and others have a lot of respect for Justin. So there are a few issues that I wanted to push him on, and see how he reacted. His posters are not going to sway mine or any other persons vote. Forgive me for trying to put him under a bit of pressure and seeing how he handled it! Nothing wrong with it either.

My membership of YFG and FG have nothing to do with this thread, and I am very open about my connections politically. Even on Boards. In coverage of the WIT Debate, it was stated that I was a member of Fine Gael. Most politicians acknowledged this. This topic (and forum) is riddled with memebers of a lot of candidates in the election, some not as open as others.

Anyway, lets just leave it and move on. It wasn't a personal attack and it was petty for a reason!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I never said it was a personal attack, I just felt that in the interests of fairness, your party affiliation should have been made aware thats all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Sure oftentimes I think his avatar is a picture of Enda Kenny. It may as well be :p .

Dont want to bring the thread off topic anymore than it has , but if Kenny is as good a T-shock that FG can muster up after the armageddon that FF has left us with well then that says it all, that puppet has been a waste of space in our Dail for what 35 years only after inheriting his fathers seat, not content with that but he has audacity to be on a leave of absence from his teaching post in mayo for 35 years and was only working for four.
    I've more respect for a man working and signing(which is very little)than I have for these parasites of professional politicians, think carefully about who and what you vote in.

Ill happily chat away with you about FG/Politics etc. in another thread, but lets leave Justin have his Q&A thread. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Sully wrote: »

If any other politician came onto this forum, id challenge them also.

What would you challenge the FG ones about,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Justin Collery

Hi All,

Well, we are into the last week of the campaign! I do not take any of the comments here personally and am happy to let people make their own minds up about 'postergate'. :) Lets move on and get some more questions. There was a lot of talk in the papers over the weekend about the state of the banks, political pensions (Kenny to defer?!?) and what the IMF may force the political parties to do after the election despite what they have promised. These I feel are the substantial issues for the country right now, and on these issues, what's good for Ireland will be good for Waterford.

Keep the questions coming!
    JC

What are your views on Enda Kenny Comments about Irish in the Leaving Cert. Surly such a move could be the start of the end of language and we have lost enough in the past.

Deise Tom wrote: »
    What are your views on Enda Kenny Comments about Irish in the Leaving Cert. Surly such a move could be the start of the end of language and we have lost enough in the past.

I have two young kids so I am deeply interested in this. Irish is important, but students should be allowed to concentrate on other subjects should they so wish. Personally I was better at maths than at languages. I would have preferred to take another technical subject. I'm not fluent in Irish now, but that does not make me any less Irish and proud to be so. That being said, there are bigger fish to fry much more quickly. Doesn't matter what you are learning if your in a class of 40 with the school building falling down. Thats where we're headed.

Thanks,
    JC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭wfman

Hi justin got your postcard style leaflet in the post today.Is this a free service for candidates or how does it work?

wfman wrote: »
    Hi justin got your postcard style leaflet in the post today.Is this a free service for candidates or how does it work?

You pay a certain amount to the post office, dont you and when you are getting post, the post man/woman leaves it in with it.

wfman wrote: »

The one that has your name on it. The candidate pays for the printing, but An Post deliver it for free. Every candidate has the right to one free mailing. I can tell you from experience however that organising it is not easy. It's there on the citizens advice page, you are enitled to one free mail shot, but when you start asking how to go about it...very hard. I guess elections do not come around that often so unless you have the knowledge yourself already it is very hard to find the information, I got mine done just in time.

Anyway, I hope you read it as I think it sets out my stall pretty clearly, any questions, just let me know.

Thanks,
    Justin

The one that has your name on it. The candidate pays for the printing, but An Post deliver it for free. Every candidate has the right to one free mailing. I can tell you from experience however that organising it is not easy. It's there on the citizens advice page, you are enitled to one free mail shot, but when you start asking how to go about it...very hard. I guess elections do not come around that often so unless you have the knowledge yourself already it is very hard to find the information, I got mine done just in time.

Anyway, I hope you read it as I think it sets out my stall pretty clearly, any questions, just let me know.

Thanks,
    Justin

Good to see you are keeping the printing in Waterford, and have this on the card. Others are not saying where they got theres printed. It would be interesting to find out. We have some top printers in Waterford County and City and it only right to give them support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

I don't believe in gender quota's. I don't believe that candidates should make an issue of what sex they are (and some are!). The best person should get the job, regardless of sex. It's time to move into the 21st century where it's your ability that counts.

With regard to independent candidates, I agree that gender isn't an issue, although Art 41 of the Constitution, still exists and the traditions which allowed for the sentiments in this article to be passed on through out the years in all areas of Irish life has allowed for positive discrimination to exist for Irish men. The long established parties allowed for this mentality to exist and the positive discrimination which existed for men for so long and allowed for them to have such a dominant positions in Irish politics should, in my opinion now be extended to women. I don't think men have fully represented women especially when you consider that Art 41 has yet to be amended.
    The Seanad clearly isn't performing any useful roll presently. I would be slow to completely abolish it though. I think there are many useful purposes it could serve, such as scrutinising political appointees etc.

Agree with you here, its about time the Seanad served the actual purpose it was intended for, although its numbers could easily be cut by a third
    As the country is rapidly running out of money, I'd prefer to spend my money on education and hospitals than new prisons.

Or we could take on the recommendations of the IPRT and the LRC among others, who state that too many people are being imprisoned for minor crimes and imprisonment as a sanction just makes the problems worse.
    Also Minister for Justice and Law Reform Brendan Smith gave the figure of 6,681 people imprisoned for non-payment of court ordered fines in 2010, this desipte the discussions and introduction of the fines bill 2010.
    A look the more humane policy and recidivism rates in countries like Norway and Sweden standing at 20% as oppossed to our 84% shows radical changes are need in this country, changes which may cost less but can bring about massive changes for the benefit of all

Again thanks for your reply

I don't believe in gender quota's. I don't believe that candidates should make an issue of what sex they are (and some are!). The best person should get the job, regardless of sex. It's time to move into the 21st century where it's your ability that counts.

Spot on. Gender, Race, Religious beliefs, do gooders, arse lickers etc should not come into who we send to Dail Eireann. It should be the best person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Your the only man who is giving the right answers to the important questions facing this country. My friends and family and I are all giving you #1, I hope you are celebrating this weekend, Waterford needs smart politicians, with an industry track record such as yourself:D:D.

Best of Luck

Your the only man who is giving the right answers to the important questions facing this country. My friends and family and I are all giving you #1, I hope you are celebrating this weekend, Waterford needs smart politicians, with an industry track record such as yourself:D:D.

Best of Luck

It is easy for existing politions and those hoping to become one to have all the answers now, but when they get into a position of power its a different thing, as we will see Next week when Enda becomes Taoiseach unless some sort of miracle happens. Didnt he and Eamon have all the answers and solutions all along. I am not saying that Justin will be like this however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Deise Tom wrote: »
    It is easy for existing politions and those hoping to become one to have all the answers now, but when they get into a position of power its a different thing, as we will see Next week when Enda becomes Taoiseach unless some sort of miracle happens. Didnt he and Eamon have all the answers and solutions all along. I am not saying that Justin will be like this however.

The simple "answer" was to run the country for the good of the people, i.e. all of the people, and not the good of the ones who frequented the tent. FF are solely responsible for the insanely pathetic, 'I'll look after ya..' decisions that spiralled out of control.

Would FG/Lab have done any different? Who knows. Maybe not. The reality is though, when FG/Lab last left government, they left with a budget surplus.

Im having none of the drivel that the mess we're in right now is anything other than the fault of people who tried to look after the small group that they considered their own kind.

When Enda becomes Taoiseach, I will be happy. I will expect him to run the country for the good of the people, and will respect any tough decisions he makes for the good of the people.

Power may turn any candidate into a useless tool.. but lets not divert from the reality that theres a massive difference between "tough decisions" to mind one's own pals to the detriment of society, and tough decisions to try and undo what FF did to us all.

In that regard, I'd like to ask Justin how he would encourage the un-linking of bank and soverign debt, as so many of the parties fail to make enough of a commitment to do so in my opinion. So many say it cannot be done.. Does Justin know how it could be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

...and I'd like to know how he would bring the banks into line? The hard-working people of this country are suffering now so that the money borrowed to keep the banks afloat can be repaid. These same banks are now increasing their interest-rates because they feel like it, or are introducing ridiculous bank charges for transactions. They were given their lifeline, and are now taking the piss, and there's nothing we, the public, can really do about it. If Permanent TSB increase their rates, my mortgage goes up, and there's nothing I can do bar default. The effect of this is further tightening of the purse strings, less money being spent in local businesses, which will inevitably lead to further closures.

Any fool knows that the way to get out of this mess is to encourage spending and saving, but people have less money to spend and save because the banks are taking our money the easy way for them, and the harder way for peripheral business.

What are your thoughts Justin? An ombudsman to oversee the way the banks are treating their customers as a condition of their bailout? A reduction in VAT to make purchasing more attractive?

I'll admit to not having any business nous, but as far as I'm concerned, anyone taking my money without my say-so is stealing from me. Banks need to be accountable for decisions like this. :mad:

With regard to independent candidates, I agree that gender isn't an issue, although Art 41 of the Constitution, still exists and the traditions which allowed for the sentiments in this article to be passed on through out the years in all areas of Irish life has allowed for positive discrimination to exist for Irish men. The long established parties allowed for this mentality to exist and the positive discrimination which existed for men for so long and allowed for them to have such a dominant positions in Irish politics should, in my opinion now be extended to women. I don't think men have fully represented women especially when you consider that Art 41 has yet to be amended.

I'm not familiar with the article, but certainly the constitution (of all things!) should be blind to sex when it comes to opportunities.
    Agree with you here, its about time the Seanad served the actual purpose it was intended for, although its numbers could easily be cut by a third

Agreed.
    Or we could take on the recommendations of the IPRT and the LRC among others, who state that too many people are being imprisoned for minor crimes and imprisonment as a sanction just makes the problems worse.
    Also Minister for Justice and Law Reform Brendan Smith gave the figure of 6,681 people imprisoned for non-payment of court ordered fines in 2010, this desipte the discussions and introduction of the fines bill 2010.
    A look the more humane policy and recidivism rates in countries like Norway and Sweden standing at 20% as oppossed to our 84% shows radical changes are need in this country, changes which may cost less but can bring about massive changes for the benefit of all

I'd agree with that.
    Trotter wrote: »
    Would FG/Lab have done any different? Who knows. Maybe not.

Actions speak louder than words. The bank guarantee without a bank resolution scheme is what lost our fiscal sovereignty. If FG/Lab understood this (and you cannot change something if you do not understand it) they would have shouted this from the roof tops. They did not, so I am inclined to believe they would have walked the same path by and large.
    Trotter wrote: »
    In that regard, I'd like to ask Justin how he would encourage the un-linking of bank and soverign debt, as so many of the parties fail to make enough of a commitment to do so in my opinion. So many say it cannot be done.. Does Justin know how it could be?

1) Elect people like Justin Collery, Paul Sommerville and Stephen Donnelly with a large vote (mandate)
    2) We go to Europe and say we cannot pay the bank debt, none of it, not a red cent.
    3) Threaten to leave the Euro and repudiate all bank debt (catastrophic for Europe as well as Ireland as other PIIGS will come under great pressure)
    4) Negotiate a deal where the bank bailout costs are shared across 400m Europeans rather than 4m Irish

If you think this is unrealistic consider the alternative. We spend 3 years trying to pay the unpayable. Higher taxes, worse services, mass emigration. Then we default anyway, possibly in an unstructured fashion and the country is in a much worse position than it is now. In business you face up to your problems now and deal with them. Leaving them to fester makes them worse. I am advocating dealing with out problems now.
    gscully wrote: »
    ...and I'd like to know how he would bring the banks into line? The hard-working people of this country are suffering now so that the money borrowed to keep the banks afloat can be repaid. These same banks are now increasing their interest-rates because they feel like it, or are introducing ridiculous bank charges for transactions. They were given their lifeline, and are now taking the piss, and there's nothing we, the public, can really do about it. If Permanent TSB increase their rates, my mortgage goes up, and there's nothing I can do bar default. The effect of this is further tightening of the purse strings, less money being spent in local businesses, which will inevitably lead to further closures.

Absolutely, its a spiral of death. It ends with you and the bank going bankrupt. The only way to stop it is to crystalise the loss, both for you, if that is where you are, and the bank. Once the losses have been crystallised you recapitalise the bank and we are back to a normal banking system. Up until now we have been recapitalising the banks without the full extent of the losses being know and we have being living with the consequences.
    Any fool knows that the way to get out of this mess is to encourage spending and saving, but people have less money to spend and save because the banks are taking our money the easy way for them, and the harder way for peripheral business.

€80bn left the Irish banking system in December alone (thats 20k for every man, woman and child in the country!). We need to encourage that money to come back into the country. We do that by doing what I have said above.
    What are your thoughts Justin? An ombudsman to oversee the way the banks are treating their customers as a condition of their bailout? A reduction in VAT to make purchasing more attractive?

We have a regulator, but I do not think we need more regulation, we need an actual solution. I'm not sure about a reduction in VAT (part of the IMF deal I am afraid, we have no power over it) but we can do lots at the other end such as rates, water, ESB, etc. These are all costs that feed into the system and the net result is the same as you describe.
    I'll admit to not having any business nous, but as far as I'm concerned, anyone taking my money without my say-so is stealing from me. Banks need to be accountable for decisions like this. :mad:

Yip, tax is the same. We need people who understand the value of money at the top, it is clear that has been lacking.

Had a great debate last night with the other candidates, on WLR this evening at 5, be sure to listen in.

Thanks and regards,
    Justin

I'm not sure about a reduction in VAT (part of the IMF deal I am afraid, we have no power over it)

Enda Kenny spoke last night about reducing the tax from 13.5% to 12%. I'm not sure whether he meant VAT or Corporation Tax, but get the feeling it was the former.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Enda Kenny spoke last night about reducing the tax from 13.5% to 12%. I'm not sure whether he meant VAT or Corporation Tax, but get the feeling it was the former.
    He was referring to the lower rate of VAT that they plan to reduce from 13.5% to 12%. At the same time Fine Gael will be increasing the standard rate of VAT from 21% to 22% and 23% in 2012 and 2013 (or in 2013 and 2014, can't remember).

He was referring to the lower rate of VAT that they plan to reduce from 13.5% to 12%. At the same time Fine Gael will be increasing the standard rate of VAT from 21% to 22% and 23% in 2012 and 2013 (or in 2013 and 2014, can't remember).

Thanks. It's painful to know that the likely new government will be as clueless as the previous one. Unsurprising, but painful still.

Did he know himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

Thanks!

I am completely self funded. I'm using my life savings. I am literally putting my money where my mouth is, I feel that strongly about this issues I am fighting for. I don't have the money to put as many posters on poles as the big players, but I will be able to get my message out to every house in the city and county, and I would ask people to read the literature and make an informed decision.

JC

You are self funded?? Can i just say that is a breath of fresh air, had not realised that .... well done

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement