Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any Van Nicholas riders out there?

• 09-02-2011 10:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

Any reviews of the Van Nicholas Ti from owners?

I know that there are lots of Planet X Ti lads about.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Blorg has a VN Amazon tourer. It's worn quite well considering it's probably been round the earth a couple of times by now.

weJ5nq2Z.png

(hope he doesn't mind me posting this, he's a bit offline at the moment)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

Very good review by 220 Triathlon magazine here...http://www.vannicholas.com/reviews.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I'd love a Van Nicholas.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Guybrush T

This won't be much help, but if you hang around a couple of months I'll let you know. I've got a Zephyr frame and I'm currently getting the bits together to make a sportive/ old man racing bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

As Lumen says I have a Van Nicholas tourer. It's a nice bike and I'm happy with it. Seems solid and lighter than a traditional steel tourer. I also have a Litespeed Archon Ti road bike- I am guessing you are looking for a road bike rather than a tourer. IMO for a road bike you will get a better bike for less money in carbon. If you are not that concerned about price or weight and want a bike that will look the same in ten or twenty years as it does the day you buy it though, Ti is a good option. I don't think there is any other good reason to buy Ti.

• Advertisement

blorg wrote: »
    I don't think there is any other good reason to buy Ti.

Money surplus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Yeah id like a bike that will handle abuse for the next 20 years. Not worried about weight really. Im a heavy guy myself!

Want a high handle bar position for comfort. slopping top tube design.

looking at the mistral on fat birds.

http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/detail.asp/sku=VN-Mistralbike/Van_Nicholas_Mistral_Titanium_Road_Bike

I dont have an excess of money, I just want one bike. My current bike is six years old and is starting to wear pretty bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

blorg wrote: »
    ...... Ti is a good option. I don't think there is any other good reason to buy Ti.

The SR71 is made from titanium -
    - Since 1976, it has held the world record for the fastest air-breathing manned aircraft;
    - Studies of the aircraft's titanium skin revealed that the metal was actually growing stronger over time, because of intense heating due to compression of the air, caused by the rapid flight of the vehicle - I hope to achieve the same effect by repeated descents of Howth;
    - called the Habu by its crews, referring to an Okinawan species of pit viper.

EDIT:- I purchased mine through fatbirds - not a bad lot to deal with.

I've a Sabbath Silk Road - and love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

Van Nicholas MTB owner here. Although I have no experience with their Ti Road Bikes, their MTB was a great little hardtail. I rawed the frame as the paint tended to melt off in bad weather:

photo-1.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I got mine (frame+fork) from Fatbirds too, incidentally. They were good to deal with and had the lowest prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Raam wrote: »
    I'd love a Van Nicholas.
    I'd like one too, but don't call me Nicholas.

I'd like one too, but don't call me Nicholas.

http://www.libraryonline.com/default.asp?pID=33
    h) To separate the name of a person that is addressed from the rest of the sentence.
    Example:
    We welcome you, Jane, as the newest addition to our team.

Yes, I went there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Raam wrote: »
    Surely you shouldn't have done that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Kayaksurfbum, if this thing is still for sale...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056100778

It wouldn't be a bad machine for you. I used to have one and was very happy with it. It's in your size, looks like it's sold but if not, its cheap enough that you don't need to worry about having it for years. You can pretty much ride it for a year, park it under a bus and still have gotten your moneys worth

Apart from that though... if you are set on ti (and I wouldn't mind one myself now that I have cleared out half of my collection and have a bit of space)... did you see Sean Kellys old Merlin ti training bikes are for sale ? Worldwide cycles have them on their facebook page and possibly their blogs, not sure on how the sizing would suit you but the pricing is in the ballpark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I believe there is one for sale on Bike Radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Guybrush T

Guybrush T wrote: »
    This won't be much help, but if you hang around a couple of months I'll let you know. I've got a Zephyr frame and I'm currently getting the bits together to make a sportive/ old man racing bike.

If you're still interested I finally built the bike, I've done a couple of hundred kilometeres so far and I'm very happy with it. Very light, handles beautifully and hopefully will last as long as my old steel bike (20 years)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Ryath

If you're still interested I finally built the bike, I've done a couple of hundred kilometeres so far and I'm very happy with it. Very light, handles beautifully and hopefully will last as long as my old steel bike (20 years)

Very nice need a pic from the drive side though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I think these were Airbourne in a past life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭bonzie1

Hi Iv been looking at the Zephyr my self. Id be very interested in seeing the finished bike, or even having a look at the frame. Just to have a close up. Would be a great help to me making up my mind. Any pics. Cheers

Advertisement