Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban on Fox Hunting

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Leopardi

Snip.You were warned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Yes
    Anyone shooting deer on coiltte lands have to pass a course which covers that EGAR. There are courses that cover species recognition and seasons, as well as laws regarding firearms and the wildlife act, I have them done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭carraghsgem

Yes
    EGAR wrote: »
    Well, ex-OH isn't, and he was moaning about having to get a gunlock etc last time it was renewed (last year sometime).

Handling the gun is one thing but what I like to see included in the course is information on wildlife. You would be surprised how many people haven't got a clue when it comes to that. What's protected, what isn't, when it's allowed to hunt what and why.

I can shoot at the bullseye no bother, however, I would not know where to aim at on a deer to kill it quickly. You get my point?

through the heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

homerhop wrote: »
    Anyone shooting deer on coiltte lands have to pass a course which covers that EGAR. There are courses that cover species recognition and seasons, as well as laws regarding firearms and the wildlife act, I have them done.

So the goat hunters employed by Coillte who kill the goats, cut off an ear and leave the *rest* behind do COURSES??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Yes
    So the goat hunters employed by Coillte who kill the goats, cut off an ear and leave the *rest* behind do COURSES??
    I said deer hunting, I never mentioned goats. Personally I do not agree with doing that, there are plenty of people that would be glad of the extra meet to feed their animals.

• Advertisement

Sorry, read Coillte and overread deer. My apologies.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Leopardi--Ive removed you last post and also Homerhops response in order to clean up the thread.

If you cant debate without resorting to anti-hunting insults then please do bow out at this stage.

Yes

not all shooters cut the ear off goats and leave the carcasses to rot, i get them to drop in useable carcasses (youngstock) i then do a rough job on butchering them and use the best bits to make stews and the rest is dogfood

dont look at these pics if you are easily offended.

Carraghgem, what do you hope to achieve by posting images like that on an animal/pet forum or what made you take them in the first place, is beyond me.

Yes
    if you eat meat at all those images shouldnt offend you, as for taking pics, it was my first attempt at butchering a large carcass, a way of charting progress. or would you rather i post step by step pics of the same carcasses rotting away in a field or woods somewhere wasted?

part of hunting is not letting it go to waste if at all possible.

• Advertisement

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Leopardi--Ive removed you last post and also Homerhops response in order to clean up the thread.

If you cant debate without resorting to anti-hunting insults then please do bow out at this stage.

That's fine, Hellrazer - and eminently understandable too, especially given your willingness to "thank" Homerhops following his first response. Whatever about my "insults," it's interesting to note the removal of the video I posted. While your neutrality might be in doubt, your power is not. I realise my fate is sealed!

if you eat meat at all those images shouldnt offend you, as for taking pics, it was my first attempt at butchering a large carcass, a way of charting progress. or would you rather i post step by step pics of the same carcasses rotting away in a field or woods somewhere wasted?

part of hunting is not letting it go to waste if at all possible.

I don't eat meat and find images like that offensive.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Leopardi wrote: »
    That's fine, Hellrazer - and eminently understandable too, especially given your willingness to "thank" Homerhops following his first response.
    I thanked homer because I agreed that your post wasnt in the spirit of the debate.
    Whatever about my "insults," it's interesting to note the removal of the video I posted.
    I removed the whole post --I didnt even look at the video.

While your neutrality might be in doubt,

For what its worth I dont agree with Fox hunting with hounds.So dont judge me if you dont know me.
    your power is not. I realise my fate is sealed!

I warned you once,when you didnt heed that waring I removed your post.Again for what its worth I didnt remove your first post and in my opinion the more offensive one.
    Cant get any fairer than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

Yes
    Discodog wrote: »
    So has Bear baiting, Cock fighting, Dog fighting, etc etc. People were opposing fox hunting long ago in the UK.

Hounds may not be trained to kill but they do kill.

Any vilification here is no different to that given to one of us posting in the hunting forum.
    i do not post on the hunting forum, your answer gives me the impression that you only require like minded posters here, anyway this is my last post here as a reasonable arguement is not achiveable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I don't eat meat either, and I don't see why pictures like that are allowed to stay on a thread that is supposed to be about foxhunting.

Yes
    I don't eat meat and find images like that offensive.
    you didnt even view the images! so i cant even see how you could find them offensive. double standards and hypocrite come to mind.

Ahm, entitled *Head in Bucket*?

One doesn't have to have much imagination ;).

Yes
    planetX wrote: »
    I don't eat meat either, and I don't see why pictures like that are allowed to stay on a thread that is supposed to be about foxhunting.
    i didnt bring the topic up, so as long as the entire thread is all about mean hunters killing things for no reason etc etc your happy, pretty 1 sided argument.
    the images are no worse than what you'd see hanging in the back of a butchers van.

For those of you who didnt view the pictures--They are no worse than what you would see passing a butchers shop/butchers counter in Tesco.

You cant even see the head in the "head" one to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,721 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Carraghsem, stop acting like a dick, you warned people not to open them if they are easily offended, then you accuse her of being a hypocrite and having double standards for not opening them, your pic names are enough to stop her. Although the images look like any butchers, some people just don't want to see them. If you are going to argue for your fellow hunters, do it properly, will you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Yes
    I've viewed the pics - am I allowed to express my distaste?

You can clearly see the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

i didnt bring the topic up, so as long as the entire thread is all about mean hunters killing things for no reason etc etc your happy, pretty 1 sided argument.
    the images are no worse than what you'd see hanging in the back of a butchers van.

well I don't go around looking in the back of butchers vans. It's a pet forum, why not take yourself over to the hunting one.

Yes
    planetX wrote: »
    well I don't go around looking in the back of butchers vans. It's a pet forum, why not take yourself over to the hunting one.

its a hunting related thread, in case you hadnt noticed,
    and i am on a hunting forum as well as watching this particular thread,
    its called multi-tasking

Funny that, we had a half ways decent discussion on this thread without anyone acting the maggot and then along came Carraghsgem and de-railed the whole lot.

@hellrazer, you deleted the video without watching it, yet you allow the pics to stand? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,721 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Whispered wrote: »
    I've viewed the pics - am I allowed to express my distaste?

The floor tiles in the bathroom? I know... And, what were they thinking putting those handles on that bath?

:)

@hellrazer, you deleted the video without watching it, yet you allow the pics to stand? :confused:

Cmon Egar you know me--The user was warned to tone it down and didnt--I removed the whole post-absolutely nothing got to do with the content of that post.

Yes
    John_Rambo wrote: »
    The floor tiles in the bathroom? I know... And, what were they thinking putting those handles on that bath?

:)
    :eek: Cheek of you - I have the same floor tiles :mad:

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Cmon Egar you know me--The user was warned to tone it down and didnt--I removed the whole post-absolutely nothing got to do with the content of that post.

I questioned your neutrality not on the issue of hunting itself, but on the exchanges between myself and the poster in question. In the post that you deleted, I stated why I considered a "debate" on the issue to be futile - had the thread been advertised as a debate, I would not have expressed my opinion. I understand why my language may have proved unsettling, but measured words are hardly equal to the spectacle presented by this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7PK3E982Bw

Here I make my exit.

Leopardi wrote: »
    I questioned your neutrality not on the issue of hunting itself, but on the exchanges between myself and the poster in question. In the post that you deleted, I stated why I considered a "debate" on the issue to be futile - had the thread been advertised as a debate, I would not have expressed my opinion. I understand why my language may have proved unsettling, but measured words are hardly equal to the spectacle presented by this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7PK3E982Bw

Here I make my exit.

And this time in the interest of balance the video can stay.

• Advertisement

Yes
    Oh god - you have to be over 18 to view that video. :(

I'm not signing into youtube to watch it, but wanted to state my position. I disagree with graphic images and videos from either side of the fence. In my opinion it turns what could be a rational debate into an emotional argument.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement