Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

painting house with barges

• 09-02-2011 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

im thinking of painting my house which is 2 years old (hasnt been painted) as id rather do it myself than pay a painter- but i want to do it right- i remember painting a new house several years ago and all we did was 2 coats of white undercoat and then 2 coats of the colour- wasnt too picky at the time but is this the correct way or do the walls have to be sealed first? Also the window sills and barges- im pretty sure they have to be sealed but i heard a painter talking about sanding the sills first before painting? i just want to be sure that the paint wont come off after a few months- i notice a lot of houses where the paint has come off the barges and it looksterrible. any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Yup, sand any wood unless it's REALLY smooth. Mine were painted without sanding and it's still annoying me 4 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭hashey

lol should have said it- its the outside im doing- concrete sills and barges

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭FREDNISMO

Im going to do mine in summer time for the first coat i am going to use zinsser 1-2-3 primer its suppose to be a very good product for sills as well

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

I have precast concrete barges on my house. I used concrete stabiliser as a first coat.....its a kind of gloopy clear liquid. Then I just put normal house paint on top of that, I think it took two coats of white.
    Its lasted 3 years but I can see some paint blisters starting recently....I live in a very windy cold exposed place.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭hashey

my barges arent precast - managed to do the barges with concrete primer on the house (but not the shed) and i notice the shed barges that werent done are going reddish in colour- if i got three years out of the barges after painting i would be happy- i live in an exposed windy area near the sea but should the sills be sanded before the primer or is there any need?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

From my own experience with painting concrete I would suggest you use an alkali resisting primer on any bare concrete- this will resist the alkali salts which tend to leach out over time and cause blistering. Rub down with a wire brush or stiff scrubbing brush to remove any loose material before applying the primer, such as http://www.duluxtrade.ie/web/pdf/datasheets/technical/ie64.pdf

Check out Dulux's FAQs for more information.

Advertisement