Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vista and SMART

• 09-02-2011 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the right forum but I'm sure mods will move it if necessary.

I just got my Thomson router yesterday and set it up on my windows 7 laptop.

I went to connect my vista laptop and it wouldn't connect. After a small bit of research I discovered the router was using WPA-PSK security which vista can't use, so I went into the settings on the router and changed the security type to open with WEP encryption. My 7 laptop was easy enough to change to the new settings, as was my DsiXL. However, Vista is still being a pain.

I have tried to connect to the network but it just says it can't connect, it won't say why tho. It is not giving me an option to remove the settings it saved for the WPA security in order to change it to WEP.

When I go to network and sharing center and manage wireless networks the thomson name is not appearing there as a profile, however when I try to connect to the signal it won't even let me enter a key, it either fails in a few seconds or takes 'longer than usual to respond'.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I'm new to both vista and 7. I had xp till a month ago.

I'm at work now so I can post some shots of the errors etc when I get home.
    I don't even know is this the router or vista thats the issue.:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

kiddums wrote: »

I went to connect my vista laptop and it wouldn't connect. After a small bit of research I discovered the router was using WPA-PSK security which vista can't use, so I went into the settings on the router and changed the security type to open with WEP encryption. My 7 laptop was easy enough to change to the new settings, as was my DsiXL. However, Vista is still being a pain.

Vista does support WPA-PSK, so switch it back to WPA on all devices, and don't use WEP whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

Spear wrote: »
    Vista does support WPA-PSK, so switch it back to WPA on all devices, and don't use WEP whatsoever.
    I was trying to connect vista to the WPA-PSK initally, but it was having none of it.
    The connection was just timing out.

I'll change it back when I get home and see exactly what it's saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 pigck29

Did you try to change different wireless channels?

pigck29 wrote: »
    Did you try to change different wireless channels?
    On the router?
    Vista won't let me change any setings for tis network. Or I just can't find where to change them.

Ok so Ive tries WPA+WPA2, WPA, WPA2 & WEP security and there is no difference. It gives a 'taking longer than usual to connect' error. And when I try to diagnose the problem it says it 'failed due to an unknown reason'.

I've also tried 4 different channels and there is no difference.

Edit: I've attached a pic of the current settings.

Edit2: I also just tried to connect to it without any security and it gave me the same problems. I don't even know where the problem is now then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 pigck29

kiddums wrote: »
    Ok so Ive tries WPA+WPA2, WPA, WPA2 & WEP security and there is no difference. It gives a 'taking longer than usual to connect' error. And when I try to diagnose the problem it says it 'failed due to an unknown reason'.

I've also tried 4 different channels and there is no difference.

Edit: I've attached a pic of the current settings.

Edit2: I also just tried to connect to it without any security and it gave me the same problems. I don't even know where the problem is now then.

did you try reset modem or try on different vista laptop?
    if that still not work, just give smart support a ring.They may be replace a new modem
    :)

pigck29 wrote: »
    did you try reset modem or try on different vista laptop?
    if that still not work, just give smart support a ring.They may be replace a new modem
    :)
    I've tried resetting it already. And I don't have another vista laptop.
    I'll give them a ring on Monday if I can't get it sorted over the weekend.
    I think its the laptop thats the isue tho as there is a DsiXL, an Xbox360, a SE phone and a 7 laptop connected to it right now, with no problems.

Just to update on this, i still can't get the vista laptop to connect, but I have got my hands on another vista laptop that connects to it.

Is there some way I can copy over all the relevent settings?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Do you use the Vistal laptop in any other location where you may have had settings installed to allow it to connect in that location?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 toffeesfan

go into manage wireless networks,remove all networks,disable/enable wireless network,search for networks again,enter key for thomson network

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 toffeesfan

oh and make sure wlan is set to dhcp

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I got this working. Some combination of optional updates, avti-virus updates and flash updates last night did the trick.

Advertisement