Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you be nervous going to a pub/club alone?

• 09-02-2011 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

I don't think I could hack drinking alone or dancing on a disco mat by myself anymore, its much more fun and safer to go out with a few others. Few times Ive made the venture its turned out more awkward then sociable though the odd time going out by myself ive met some interesting carachters.

Do you go out by yourself? Would you be botherd drinking/clubbing alone or are you the sociable type who can talk to a wall even when your sober?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭George83

I've no problem going to the pub on my own.

Don't care for clubs all that much tbh but would feel more uneasy going to one on my own than a pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Sometimes go to the pub on me own! If it's usually up the local I'll end up meeting someone I know!

Wouldn't dream of going to a club on me own tho, infact these days I wouldn't dream of going with someone else :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i never go to a pub/club on my own.
    i have friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Have gone to the pub alone but wouldn't go clubbing alone, but i prefere pubs to clubs anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Don't think I ever went to a club on my own, often went to the pub though. Most of my friends are in Oz so if I wan't a few pints there's not much choice, even in the local.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

SparkyTech wrote: »
    I don't think I could hack drinking alone or dancing on a disco mat by myself anymore, its much more fun and safer to go out with a few others. Few times Ive made the venture its turned out more awkward then sociable though the odd time going out by myself ive met some interesting carachters.

Do you go out by yourself? Would you be botherd drinking/clubbing alone or are you the sociable type who can talk to a wall even when your sober?

It's just not comfortable for a chap like myself to go for a quiet drink alone anymore, it is just constant hassle from sleazy drunk women trying it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I went to a club in Germany by myself once, it was grand for a while but when they chained me to the wall and the whips came out I started getting a bit nervous alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

I go to the boozer on my own to watch football. I hate the pain in the arse of texting and ringing people just to go to the boozer for 2 hours and then there are gimps that want you to meet them or call into them on the way how we can walk to the boozer together. WTF is that all about :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I'd go to a pub alone if I wanted, just sit at the bar. Have a few pints, maybe watch whatevers on the TV. Although tbh i'd rather stay home and drink then go to the pub on my own, what would be the point really.

I definetely wouldn't go to a club on my own, you'd just end up standing around looking like a sap with a drink in your hand. Unless you get a good seat but they tend to be pretty packed and you're usally left standing/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

short answer - pub yes club no way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

Luckily I have friends so I'd only see the need to go to pub with them otherwise I would be an alcoholic!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

I've no problem going to the pub on my own, probably wouldn't bother with a club though unless I was meeting friends who wanted to go dancing. I much prefer the pub or some live music or a decent atmosphere with a match on.

I get very impatient waiting for other people to get ready and get their acts together to go out, so I usually end up in the pub by myself for an hour (sometimes longer) while I wait for them with a pint (or five).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I wouldn't be nervous, but I don't like sitting by myself having a drink, even if I'm waiting for someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Do swingers' clubs count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Depends on what town it is. If it was a place I haven't been before then yes I would but if it's my local then not really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Depending on the club tbh, if its a themed night or something then why not, theres something going on you want to see.
    Pubs yes though, why wouldnt you go on your own too?! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Strip club - yes!
    Nightclub - no!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

No bother going to a pub alone,but would be wary about walking home alone these days

Do swingers' clubs count?

They don't let guys into them by themselves.

eh.... a friend told me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

I do feel like a twat sitting on my own in a pub, even my local.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Nope, have done a few times. Wanted to go out, none of my friends around, went anyway, had a laugh. Did when I was in the States too but people are way more approachable over there, and once they hear you're non-American accent people start conversations with you.

I know people who cant walk in the door of a pub without someone having to come out and meet them, thats pretty pathetic tbh. I like my own company at times, wouldnt have a problem sitting in a cafe alone or having a quiet drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

I wouldn't ever go to a club on my own.
    I might possibly go to a pub on my own, but it would have to be something like if I was early and meeting my friends there soon. Think I could manage one drink by myself whilst waiting. [that has never happened though, because I'm always the latest one getting ready :-)]
    Before I moved away from home, I used to be the type that would even be too self conscious to go to a cafe, or somewhere to eat on my own. That changed when I moved to a different city at 18, nobody knew me so I didn't care and would often go to grab a bite to eat on my own during a break if I was in the city.
    This has stuck with me, and now would have no problem with going anywhere by myself for something to eat.
    This only applies to luch/early evening hours though. I wouldn't feel comfortable going to a restaurant at night that was full of couples and groups.
    I usually just have lunch with friends at college, but when I was on work experience last year, I would often go to pubs that had nice food for lunch on my own. I wouldn't have alcohol though, just a coke or water maybe.
    It's kinda strange really when you think about that people are too shy to to go places by themselves, mainly for the fear that complete strangers who have no consequence in their lives, might think that they are a "loner" or a "weirdo".
    I prefer going places with my boyfriend or friends, but could go most places by myself too. I have some friends that won't even go to the bathroom or the smoking area on their own on a night out, and I find that very silly and annoying.
    Is the dislike of going places by yourself as common in different countries?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Talking to a friend of mine about this the other day. He was saying how you can go to a bar in New York alone and you'll end up chatting to a bunch of people and have a great laugh. But if you go to a pub alone here you'll mostly be ignored and some people might even think you're a bit weird.
    He was telling me an American girl he knows was asking him what is up with everyone here, She came over here by herself and went out to bars and no one chatted to her the whole time.

RichieC wrote: »
    I do feel like a twat sitting on my own in a pub, even my local.

You probably feel like that in company too though. ;)

That's what a local is for - a pint, the paper or a book - some idle chat with the barman, a quick trip to the bathroom every so often to fight back the stinging tears of loneliness and regret. She's not coming back, face it - you screwed it up, it's been 5 years, time to be tough. Just snap out of it man. For f*ck's sake. Go back out there, order another pint and maybe at closing time that young barmaid will touch your arm as she helps you off your stool. That'll keep you going for a while, yeah, just the touch of another human however brief, oh god I'm so lonely. *ahem* Another pint there Paddy! Jaysus - the f*cking government are ruining us, wha?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Not a chance of me going alone.

I am not a good looking girl and *still* sitting by myself in a pub will quickly get me hit on by some drunk aul fella who sees "sitting alone" and "heavily tattooed" and thinks "desperate" and "dirty".

I will usually wait elsewhere if my mates are running late

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'd feel a tiny bit self-concious at night-time maybe - unless there was a game on - but a quiet pint alone with a book, paper or phone during the day or waiting for friends in the early evening is one of life's great pleasures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Ghost Estate

no.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

I wouldn't go to a club alone, the simple reason being that I wouldn't go to a club at all if it weren't for my friends dragging me to them. The idea of being frightened wouldn't even occur to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

No I wouldn't be nervous going to a pub on my own to a club maybe unless there was a party and I know some people going to it I go on my own and just meet them in the club then. I go to a pub for a quiet, quick drink and see if there is anyone I know or would like to get to know etc. Sometimes I just enjoy the atmosphere and paddle my own canoe. Nothing wrong with it for a short while, it be like you are waiting for someone and then you leave. I'd often be in a pub and be waiting for who ever I be meeting up with so its no bother being on my own for a short while then. I just take in whats happening around me and get used to being where I am. At least I might find decent seats or nice corner to chat to who ever is joining me. I generally go with my friends for the most part anyway so wouldn't go to a pub on my own that often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Talking to a friend of mine about this the other day. He was saying how you can go to a bar in New York alone and you'll end up chatting to a bunch of people and have a great laugh. But if you go to a pub alone here you'll mostly be ignored and some people might even think you're a bit weird.
    He was telling me an American girl he knows was asking him what is up with everyone here, She came over here by herself and went out to bars and no one chatted to her the whole time.

The picture I get of American bars from American people I know is that unless they're student bars, where everyone is drinking for the first time, they're mainly used as a pick up method. The people I know say they'll always get something going, but it's not to have a laugh or see the night away, it's because people are looking for girlfriends/boyfriends. I guess pubs aren't see as an aggressive dating opportunity over here.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    You probably feel like that in company too though. ;)

That's what a local is for - a pint, the paper or a book - some idle chat with the barman, a quick trip to the bathroom every so often to fight back the stinging tears of loneliness and regret. She's not coming back, face it - you screwed it up, it's been 5 years, time to be tough. Just snap out of it man. For f*ck's sake. Go back out there, order another pint and maybe at closing time that young barmaid will touch your arm as she helps you off your stool. That'll keep you going for a while, yeah, just the touch of another human however brief, oh god I'm so lonely. *ahem* Another pint there Paddy! Jaysus - the f*cking government are ruining us, wha?

Exactly, that's what my local is for. I haven't been on there on my own for longer than an hour or so, but I can sit myself down, tap into the wireless, go for a smoke and have a chat with the regulars in there. Grand way to spend a pint or two, and there's plenty of other people in there like that as well. Just looking for a way to have a pint and read a book, their smartphone, the newspaper or whatever. But I think it is dependent on having a local. Going into a trendy bar and doing it would just be a headwreck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i have no problem going into a pub on my own, its great sometimes when its just myself and the racing paper
    i hate clubs so i wouls feel slightly uneasy going in on my sweeny todd

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ForceOfNature

when i am in new york i love going into bars on my own - most of the people over there love chatting to irish people in the irish bars.. and you can meet some genuinely nice people..

would go to a nightclub over there no bother (although i havent)

going to a nightclub all by your lonesome in ireland....... no way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Actually, the opposite is often true. Even a man often can't just pop into some Dublin pubs for a quiet solo pint without somebody striking up a conversation with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Wouldn't be my cup of tea at all. In fact i'd rather have a cup of tea than go to a pub by myself! I hate been in a pub alone even for a half an hour waiting on someone to turn up. I get all self conscious and think everyone is looking at me!
    Could be some sort of latent mental problem, or maybe the f'uckers do just look at me.
    Either way, i don't like it:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I like enjoying a pint or 2 to myself in a pub, I'd have to have a crossword or magazine or something with me though. As for a club, I wouldnt even go into one WITH people let alone by myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Pub wouldn't bother me at all and I've often done it. Was working in Dublin city a few weeks ago and was meeting a friend that night, rather than go all the way home and back in I just got a few pints and some dinner in a pub and read my book. Went travelling on my own around Europe when I was 20 so obviously ended up in many pubs and restaurants on my own. Would meet a lot of people in the pubs or hostels too and would head out with them some nights too but they weren't necessarily better nights, just a bit more crazy. I enjoyed the solice.

Club I definitely wouldn't. It's somewhere I go with friends because pubs close earlier and I can dance the night away. Saying that, I was away on the weekend with the lads and spent about an hour just dancing on my own, then again I was hammered and hyper on redbull and jager and needed an outlet for the energy :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Tubsandtiles

Pub-yes
    Club no :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Wouldn't be my cup of tea at all. In fact i'd rather have a cup of tea than go to a pub by myself! I hate been in a pub alone even for a half an hour waiting on someone to turn up. I get all self conscious and think everyone is looking at me!
    Could be some sort of latent mental problem, or maybe the f'uckers do just look at me.
    Either way, i don't like it:mad:

when i go to the pub by myself everyone there thinks i'm paranoid,
    atleast i think thats what they say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Surely going to a pub on your own is just a needless expense, if I'm looking to kill time I'll go eat or get coffee alone, can stay places for ages if I have a laptop or something to read. I still get ID'd way too much that I would feel odd in a bar on my own.

A club on my own, I don't think so but having said that it is good sometimes when there's less of you and you have a laugh with randomers. But when you meet a guy in a club who says they're on their own, how can you not think absolutely desperate as opposed to fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I've no problem going to the pub on my own, a few years ago I would have been. I'm now quite fond of relaxing with a book and a pint.

However, only sex criminals go to clubs alone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I wouldn't dance on my own or anything but that's just because I don't dance in the first place.

I have no problems at all going into a bar or club on my own and did it many, many times while I was in Ireland to meet new people. Unfortunately, people are really judgmental about it and think anyone who's on their own has to be weird instead of the possibility that they're just a foreigner who doesn't know anyone yet :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

liah wrote: »
    I wouldn't dance on my own or anything but that's just because I don't dance in the first place.

I have no problems at all going into a bar or club on my own and did it many, many times while I was in Ireland to meet new people. Unfortunately, people are really judgmental about it and think anyone who's on their own has to be weird instead of the possibility that they're just a foreigner who doesn't know anyone yet :(

Still pretending your'e a girl ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Kasabian wrote: »
    Still pretending your'e a girl ;):D

Drat, my cover has finally been blown! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭macquarie

If there's a really good DJ or band playing and no-one else is going then feck it, sure why not!

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    They don't let guys into them by themselves.

eh.... a friend told me.

They do in Amsterdam.

Actually could you go into copper's on your own and not look like a knob?

Actually could you go into copper's on your own and not look like a knob?

Alone or in a group, nobody can go into Copper's without looking like a knob.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

It's a tricky one , depends on if you mean being nervous about attention from people wondering who you are or if you've got bad intentions or if you're worried about getting abused physically or verbally. Generally going to your local on your own wouldn't draw too much attention unless you got steaming drunk and started making an a**e of yourself.

You tend to see fellas even in city centre pubs on their own just reading the paper and having a few pints on the way home from work. There's also those weird fellas who you see sometimes on their own at the bar just staring at groups of people. I don't think you'd want to be mistaken for one of those. There's certain pubs where I wouldn't feel comfortable going to alone but you'd generally be able to tell that from the vibe you get from the place.

Clubs are a different kettle of fish imo. You sometimes see the protagonist in films hanging around the club on his own and picking up a woman but I don't know how often this happens in reality. I don't really go to clubs myself so maybe I'm wrong on that one. I think people in Ireland would tend to see a lone male hanging out in a club as either a drug dealer or a Rohypnol creep. Maybe that's a sad indication of society though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

I have no problem going into the local for a few pints on my own, because I know i won't be on my own. There's always a few of the regulars there who I can have a chat and a pint with, while watching the matches on a sunday afternoon.

But clubs, no. You'd look like a right ejit in a club on your own i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I do it literally all the time at the moment, it's amazing craic if you get into it. My friends have turned into the most appalling bottlers recently so it's either that or don't go out at all! :D

It's much, MUCH easier to score if you're by yourself, this I will say. You have no choice but to talk to randomers - and also girls will talk more to you for some reason, I think possibly because it's less intimidating than pulling someone out of a group?

I don't think I've ever actually scored when I've been out with a gang. Maybe once but that time was questionable since I scored during a moment when I was away from everyone else - and when they saw it happening they all started dancing around us in a circle jeering. Real mature, I know :rolleyes:

I'd recommend it to anyone with the confidence. I built up the confidence for this in Thailand over the summer when I literally just talked to everyone I met at the tubing bars and later on the beach parties. It's an incredible buzz if you do it right.

One issue is that Dublin in particular has this serious clan mentality whereby people tend to stick to themselves and it can be harder to meet people when everyone's stuck in their own corner with their own crowd but it does happen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement