Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you be nervous going to a pub/club alone?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

no way, i wouldn't go to a club on my own :eek: i go to throw some shapes with my friends, not stand at the bar alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I love my local, and its one of a dying breed.

Bearing in mind its in Dublin, its still got a snug.. Still sells groceries.. Sells Tayto 'Pub' crisps.. All the staff speak english.. No doorstaff and makes fresh sambo's to order and they provide the Evening Herald at the bar...

Love the place.

Oh yea, doesn't bother me in the slightest heading up alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Metallitroll

i tried that propping myself up on a barstool shít, drinking alone, but the big busom'd polish bimbo kept interacting with the barman n looking at me, i got paranoid n bolted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I'll never go out alone, I'll only go out if I have at least one person with me. I'd just feel really uncomfortable, and unsafe too. But I guess maybe being a girl'd add to me not feeling safe.

EDIT: I can't believe a forgoit about my local back home. I'd go alone there no problem. Know practically everyone in the place :p. But a club'd be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭George83

Bearing in mind its in Dublin, its still got a snug.. Still sells groceries.. Sells Tayto 'Pub' crisps.. All the staff speak english.. No doorstaff and makes fresh sambo's to order and they provide the Evening Herald at the bar...

Love the place.

Sounds like the ideal local to me:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

I wouldn't go on my own. It's not because I'd feel unsafe particularly, it's just that "socializing on your own" seems a contradiction in terms. What would be the point of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I wouldn't go on my own. It's not because I'd feel unsafe particularly, it's just that "socializing on your own" seems a contradiction in terms. What would be the point of it?

To meet new people?

"socializing on your own" seems a contradiction in terms. What would be the point of it?

Ah well it's about either having a bit of 'peaceful time' to yourself or having a bit of banter with the others there - it's amazing how easily you can get talking to folks & great conversations can be had.

liah wrote: »
    To meet new people?

Yeah, but you're not going to strike up a friendship with complete strangers who are most likely already in a group themselves. That's when I would get worried about safety. I'd prefer to meet new people in safer surroundings or through people I already know. I agree you can have a good laugh with people you've never met before, but anytime I've done that they've been either known to the friends I was with or I've been in a big enough group to not to feel threatened. Realistically, they could be anyone.

• Advertisement

Yeah, but you're not going to strike up a friendship with complete strangers who are most likely already in a group themselves. That's when I would get worried about safety. I'd prefer to meet new people in safer surroundings or through people I already know. I agree you can have a good laugh with people you've never met before, but anytime I've done that they've been either known to the friends I was with or I've been in a big enough group to not to feel threatened. Realistically, they could be anyone.

I have on many occasions :confused: 'Realistically,' the chances of you meeting a weirdo over a normal person are actually pretty damn slim.

George83 wrote: »
    Ah well it's about either having a bit of 'peaceful time' to yourself or having a bit of banter with the others there - it's amazing how easily you can get talking to folks & great conversations can be had.

Ok, I'll accept the peaceful thing. I do that a lot earlier in the day in cafes - I'll go off somewhere quiet on my own to clear my head. I don't think I'd work that great at night. Pubs and clubs are noisy.
    As for chatting, I'd feel uneasy striking up conversation with complete strangers at night. I suppose it depends where you live. I'm currently in quite a big city. It would just be too dangerous.

I have on many occasions :confused: 'Realistically,' the chances of you meeting a weirdo over a normal person are actually pretty damn slim.

Ok, I'm going to assume from your username you're a girl, so am I. Would you not agree that the chances of bumping into a wierdo are not the same from everybody? A girl on her own would be more of a target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Love the place.

All that is pretty standard around here for pubs out in the suburbs. But they seem to turn sh1t on weekend nights when all the "live for the weekend" people come out to have "OMG, best night ever".

Good during the week though usually.

I have no real problem going to a pub alone but prefer not to, I do hate waiting for someone in a pub though, I'd prefer to go out alone with no intention of meeting friends in the pub because they always take so fcuking long. But really, I am relatively social, will talk away to a barman if the pubs not too busy, and to whoever else if it is.

That said, I wouldn't go drinking alone often, just because it's more fun to go drinking with friends.

Ok, I'll accept the peaceful thing. I do that a lot earlier in the day in cafes - I'll go off somewhere quiet on my own to clear my head. I don't think I'd work that great at night. Pubs and clubs are noisy.
    As for chatting, I'd feel uneasy striking up conversation with complete strangers at night. I suppose it depends where you live. I'm currently in quite a big city. It would just be too dangerous.

Well, I go travelling a fair bit on my own - in fact I'll be over in Dublin again in a few weeks - and I wouldn't let being a lone female put me off chatting to people, sure you just have to use common sense. :confused:

Ok, I'm going to assume from your username you're a girl, so am I. Would you not agree that the chances of bumping into a wierdo are not the same from everybody? A girl on her own would be more of a target.

Yes, I'm female. No, I would not agree to that. Statistically it's just not very likely that you'll run into a weirdo. Most people are pretty normal, some deviate more than others but the chances of you running into a genuinely malicious person are very slim. I've never had more trouble meeting strangers in a pub than a few guys who won't get the hint to go away, but they were never bad.

I think this Stranger Danger hysteria thing has gone a bit out of control, for some reason people seem to think everyone you meet on the street is a weirdo. What they forget is all the horrible stuff they see on the news is in the news because it's rare, not common. I'd hate to live my life afraid of every single stranger, but that said I'm generally fairly good at gauging unsafe situations and the type of people I talk to. Instincts can help a lot.

Funnily enough some of the worst people I know are the ones I grew up with.

• Advertisement

George83 wrote: »
    Well, I go travelling a fair bit on my own - in fact I'll be over in Dublin again in a few weeks - and I wouldn't let being a lone female put me off chatting to people, sure you just have to use common sense. :confused:

I've travelled around the world on my own and consequently struck up friendships with many strangers. I'm not in Dublin. I have no fear of talking to strangers, but I think common sense dictates not doing it on my own at night where alcohol is involved. Fine if I've got 4 friends with me, I have no objections to talking to strangers per se.

Yes, I'm female. No, I would not agree to that. Statistically it's just not very likely that you'll run into a weirdo. Most people are pretty normal, some deviate more than others but the chances of you running into a genuinely malicious person are very slim. I've never had more trouble meeting strangers in a pub than a few guys who won't get the hint to go away, but they were never bad.

I think this Stranger Danger hysteria thing has gone a bit out of control, for some reason people seem to think everyone you meet on the street is a weirdo. What they forget is all the horrible stuff they see on the news is in the news because it's rare, not common. I'd hate to live my life afraid of every single stranger, but that said I'm generally fairly good at gauging unsafe situations and the type of people I talk to. Instincts can help a lot.

Funnily enough some of the worst people I know are the ones I grew up with.

There's a hell of a lot of assumptions in that. I've never said I live my life afraid of every single stranger. I merely said there are certain contexts, such as alone in a bar at night, that I think are more dangerous. I have often chatted to people I don't know in other contexts. I am equally not under the impression that everyone is a wierdo,

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Khyra24

I'm not really comfortable going alone because there are far too many weirdos here in the U.S. I did go to a pub alone last week just to have a couple of drinks to get my mind off of something personal but it didn't feel right at all. But I guess I was too sad at the time to be uncomfortable anyway. I don't know if I'd do it again though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sibylla

I've never done it don't think I would. A woman alone is probably going to draw some unwanted attention not worth the hassle tbh. It's more fun going with people you can have a laugh with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

To meet new people?

Just out of interest, did you meet people? (I'm assuming you did, seeing as you are here awhile!).
    And how was it, the first time that you went alone? Was it daunting? Did you break the ice with the conversation or did someone chat to you?

Genuinely interested :)

I have gone to a club once by meself (albeit in Glasgow) and I hardly remember any of it. It went like this:

- a few of us in a pub
    - copious amounts of alcohol
    - dead phone
    - we all left at last orders
    - ended up getting separated from everyone

Now, couple the loss with the dead phone and I just said to maself "**** this, I'm going to [nightclub]!"...ended up going on my own.

Granted, I know the barmaid in the club, but it was still kinda weird.

• Advertisement

Just out of interest, did you meet people? (I'm assuming you did, seeing as you are here awhile!).
    And how was it, the first time that you went alone? Was it daunting? Did you break the ice with the conversation or did someone chat to you?

Genuinely interested :)

I have gone to a club once by meself (albeit in Glasgow) and I hardly remember any of it. It went like this:

- a few of us in a pub
    - copious amounts of alcohol
    - dead phone
    - we all left at last orders
    - ended up getting separated from everyone

Now, couple the loss with the dead phone and I just said to maself "**** this, I'm going to [nightclub]!"...ended up going on my own.

Granted, I know the barmaid in the club, but it was still kinda weird.

Yup, I did meet loads of people. I'm probably a bit lucky in the respect that I never actually had to go up to anyone, the most I did was sit myself beside a group of lads watching a soccer match on a projector and they did the rest.. ended up pub crawling with them that night. :p Was my first night out on my own too so it ended well.

There were some nights when I'd be there for awhile without getting approached but it never bothered me, I only ever went out on my own for an actual reason such as seeing a band, so I was entertained regardless, never seemed daunting if I was there for myself too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

Never felt comfortable with it in Ireland. Hard to get strangers to talk. I go out on my own all the time in the states though and it's a blast. Sometimes I deliberately don't call any friends just so I can go out on my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

At night I wouldn't be nervous, I just wouldn't see the point in not meeting people.
    During the day just for a relaxing drink though - never done it alone, but yeah, I'd go for a coffee/quick bite to eat alone so why not a drink...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭idunnoshur

Good morning all.

Last night I went down to the pub alone, I mean that I walked down alone to see if there was anyone there. Is there a certain age you have to be before you canv do this? I ask because I got a few strange looks when I walked in. I'm 20 by the way and I'm friendly enough with a few of the lads in their thirties that frequent the pub.

Apologies if the thread doesnt make much sense, I'm still a bit drunk.

Regards
    ids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

There was a certain age; but you've just rewrote the whole script with last night foray.

You're like some kind of modern day Rosa Parks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

It must have been some night if you're only in at 9.30 in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

This thread doesn't really make sense, are you sure you're not still a bit drunk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

If they give you a strange look again, BLAST THEM WITH PISS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

idunnoshur wrote: »
    Good morning all.

Last night I went down to the pub alone, I mean that I walked down alone to see if there was anyone there. Is there a certain age you have to be before you canv do this? I ask because I got a few strange looks when I walked in. I'm 20 by the way and I'm friendly enough with a few of the lads in their thirties that frequent the pub.

Apologies if the thread doesnt make much sense, I'm still a bit drunk.

Regards
    ids

Children (anyone under the age of 18) are only allowed in licensed premises if they are with a parent or guardian, but this provision carries certain restrictions.
    Why did you get strange looks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

The pub hasn't lost its pulling power so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've gone to the pub alone but never stayed a whole night unless friends dropped in.
    I would not sit there alone drinking 6 pints. Maybe 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I couldn't give a toss, I would go to the pub, club, theater, the cinema, Holidays, anything really, on my own.

biko wrote: »
    I've gone to the pub alone but never stayed a whole night unless friends dropped in.
    I would not sit there alone drinking 6 pints. Maybe 2.

would you not strike up a conversation with someone ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

I quite enjoy having a few pints alone sometimes.

If you are in the mood for a relaxing few scoops then doing it alone is your best bet.

I hate nightclubs and havent set foot in one for years. Desperate people drooling from drink and sexual desperation and frustration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I've gone to the pub alone in Ireland during the day to read and have a pint and popped in a few times to Whelans in Dublin on my way home from a night out as my friends wanted to go home early and I didn't. Met some people in the smoking area and had fun.

I have a beer alone here all the time and have a read of my book but according to the locals, it's frowned upon for a girl to have a beer by herself in a bar but I like the idea what I'm essentially giving a middle finger to the old Spanish machistas. I've got chatted up by men 3 times my age and have had my tab paid for me without knowing by auld fellas. They sometimes make presumptions about me because I'm female in a bar and alone. They probably think I'm a prostitute :) Like the idea of being seen as some kind of scarlet woman round here just for having a beer and reading a book. Feck'em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

hondasam wrote: »

I found that was unavoidable in Ireland....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I do it absolutely all the time, great buzz.
    Usually I go to places where there'll be people I know hanging out anyway, but if I get there and no one else is out it's still a great night. Some places are more fun for this than others.

Also, if scoring is your intention, go out alone. Much easier: You don't have the option to stay in your comfort zone all night because you don't have your comfort zone with you, you have no choice but to either meet total strangers or languish in some corner by yourself all night, which eventually just gets so boring that even the shyest types will brave their fears :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭idunnoshur

Why did you get strange looks?

It was just from the old men, I hadn't been down there in a while and I don't think they recognised me. After I walked in it was grand though, they were all asking me about the old man.

I then played pool with those lads in their thirties and I won two pints out of them. It ended up being some night and I learned about a pool competition down there today at 3 pm, should be a sick laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

• Advertisement

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    I found that was unavoidable in Ireland....

It's great sometimes and other times it might get on your nerves.
    idunnoshur wrote: »
    It was just from the old men, I hadn't been down there in a while and I don't think they recognised me. After I walked in it was grand though, they were all asking me about the old man.

I then played pool with those lads in their thirties and I won two pints out of them. It ended up being some night and I learned about a pool competition down there today at 3 pm, should be a sick laugh.

It's one of those pubs where the locals have their own seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sure, for a drink or two. But I prefer getting drunk with friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

I wouldnt go to a regular nightclub by myself but ive gone to a gig in one where i really wanted to see the dj on.

Ive gone to the o2 by myself, no problem with going to a gig-not gonna miss out on omething because i cant drag someone along.(kasabian were unbelievable btw ;) )

Wouldnt go to the pub by myself, not because of the fact im by myself but if i want a few drinks by myself ill just have them at home, i go to the pub to see the lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Rich11

woulnt go on my own but you know when your in a nightclub, and cos it sooooo big:rolleyes:, you can lose your mates sometimes, or maybe they just dont like me:(, still have a great night, just talking to randomers bout random stuff:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

I actually quite like going to a pub by myself, you always get chatting to some wise old aul'fella talking sh!te:D Thats the unique thing about Irish pubs in Ireland, you can go on your lonesome and get talking to a drinking buddy.

You only realise that whe you emigrate and see how crap pubs are abroad! Clubs by myself? No, I don't like them at the best of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I only went to the pub alone for the first time a few years ago. It's actually pretty good. I wouldn't go to a crowded place at night without company, but popping in with a book on a weekend afternoon is a nice experience. No different to having lunch by yourself.

I go to gigs alone too, if I can't find somebody who likes the band/wants to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Pub? Yeah for an important match or something - not to drink though.

Club? Lol, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

Nah I'd feel awkward if I went on my own..
    I'm a girl, and it seems less socially acceptable for a girl to go to a bar on her own than a guy. I'd rather drink at home by myself than feeling awkward in a bar drinking alone. If I had to choose between going to a club or bar alone, I'd probably choose the club. I've lost my friends on plenty nights out in clubs and so been left on my own. It's not too bad.. you generally get talking to randomers since everyone there is drunk.. But in a bar people tend to be a bit more sober so talking to randomers is harder, if that makes sense haha.

Either way I still wouldn't go to either alone.. I think it's cool though if someone is comfortable enough to do that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

its all no problem to me, maybe i dont over think it like the rest :confused:

Advertisement