Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pot Hole Repairs

• 09-02-2011 1:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭

Folks be careful out there the Council are starting the highly technical engineering project of pot hole repairs.

Was in Swords this morning and passed a crew working on filling pot holes at the entrance to Kinsealy Inn/Melrose Estate on the Feltrim Road.

Four lads, a JCB with a bucket full o cold tar,two spades and a brush. :(

Procedure as usual:
    1. Shovel cold tar into pot hole which is currently filled with water, road muck and loose bits of broken up old tar.
    2. Build this into a lumpy mound approx 50 to 75cm proud of the original road surface. (County Council believes it is the job of the road users and their vehicles to flatten out lumps.)
    3. Sweep all road muck, water and any other detritus into this mound. Thus clearing road, i.e. double jobbing ;)
    4. Pat the mound with shovel(s) other members of the crew can join in at this stage if they so wish. Otherwise they will remain at the edges of the activity breast feeding spades, smoking and telling jokes.
    5. Shuffle over to the next pot hole en masse and have a meeting to discuss how it should be filled. Light up smokes, breast feed spades and tell more jokes. Tea break is optional but usually taken at this stage.
    6. While at the next pot hole observe traffic now driving over first filled pot hole and pull faces and point when a tipper truck removes all of the loose tarmac, etc. in one go. Turn back on now emptied pot hole as this is another days work.
    7. When consensus has been reached on how to approach filling the next pot hole, i.e. tea is finished, smokes are finished, jokes are wearing thin and the smell of Paddy's fart makes everyone move see point number 1 as above and repeat as necessary until all pot holes are filled or its now three hours before finishing time when it's time to start packing up for the day and drive back to the depot.

Hilarious? No not at all if a biker or cyclist comes around that corner/junction later on when I guarantee the tar will be everywhere except in the damned holes they are going to go on their ar$e. Other vehicles will not be amune to the loose stones everywhere either

I will be sending an email to the Fingal CoCo and local councilors/TD's when I get home later. They say they have no money yet they still do this stupid procedure which has never worked and only makes a bigger more dangerous mess for all road users. :mad: AAARRRGGGHHH

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I reckon its the same story countrywide. I know local to me all the roads are a patchwork of holes, grit, broken surface and dodgy tar patches. I can barely drive my car on it, and have ruined one of my alloys, so I dont know how anyone on a bike could navigate it.

And the road crews are just as inefficient here as you describe above. Doing a patch job that is gone again the first time it rains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Count yourself lucky OP. Up here they just neglect to repair them altogether

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Same thing near home. Pothole filled on Monday with loose cold tarmac and gone by yesterday, except the gravel all over the road.

Waste of time, energy and money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Same **** around where i like dude.
    The main road is in crap, the pot hole is more like a bloody crater. They come out and fill it on maybe once a month for the last 2 years... Waste of time!

If they just filled it properly once and stopped being bloody lazy if would be grand. And sure the backroads out of my eatate to head for the motorway are a disaster. Same situation there, was all filled in 2 weeks ago and most of the holes are back and bigger than before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

goodlad wrote: »
    Same **** around where i like dude.
    The main road is in crap, the pot hole is more like a bloody crater. They come out and fill it on maybe once a month for the last 2 years... Waste of time!

If they just filled it properly once and stopped being bloody lazy if would be grand. And sure the backroads out of my eatate to head for the motorway are a disaster. Same situation there, was all filled in 2 weeks ago and most of the holes are back and bigger than before.
    Shur if they filled it properly once they'd have no jobs:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement