Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Applying for permit before turning 17

• 09-02-2011 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

Im 17 in June. Ive done my theory and past it a month or so ago. Once I have my eye test done and all the relevant information has been filled out. Can i post it away now before I actually turn 17 or do I risk having it just being binned (my theory test cert in particular)?

Another question, if that is possible seen as i've applied before the mandatory lessons rule kicks in is it avoidable? Lets say they process the application and have it due to be sent out to me on the date of my birthday?

Im probably dreaming :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

Sprrratt wrote: »
    Hi lads,

Im 17 in June. Ive done my theory and past it a month or so ago. Once I have my eye test done and all the relevant information has been filled out. Can i post it away now before I actually turn 17 or do I risk having it just being binned (my theory test cert in particular)?

Another question, if that is possible seen as i've applied before the mandatory lessons rule kicks in is it avoidable? Lets say they process the application and have it due to be sent out to me on the date of my birthday?

Im probably dreaming :D

Nope. You can't apply for your permit until you are 17.

And since your 17 in June you are affected by the mandatory lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sprrratt

mle1324 wrote: »
    Nope. You can't apply for your permit until you are 17.

And since your 17 in June you are affected by the mandatory lessons.

Theres a guy i know that i remember looking at the license and it said it was issued on his birthday. How did that happen if he is only allowed send it away once he turns 17?

Second opinion?

Theres a guy i know that i remember looking at the license and it said it was issued on his birthday. How did that happen if he is only allowed send it away once he turns 17?

Second opinion?

Just going by what I did a last month.

As far as I know you don't send it away. You apply at your local tax office. (what I did anyways)

Maybe his was processed on the day he applied ? I was told I would be be waiting two weeks for mine to arrive in the post but it arrived on a Monday when I only applied on the previous Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sprrratt

mle1324 wrote: »
    Just going by what I did a last month.

As far as I know you don't send it away. You apply at your local tax office. (what I did anyways)

Maybe his was processed on the day he applied ? I was told I would be be waiting two weeks for mine to arrive in the post but it arrived on a Monday when I only applied on the previous Thursday.

Oh perhaps thats how it happened. I wasnt aware you could do that.

Oh perhaps thats how it happened. I wasnt aware you could do that.

I reckon so. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

Second opinion?

Some MTOs used to issue the permits on the spot so was possible to get it on your birthday if you went in that day. More recently it became common to post out the Permit to you but the date may still be the day you apply if it was processed on that date.

As stated you cant apply in advance of your 17th birthday so have to wait until then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

It really depends on the local MTO and how busy they are. If you're extrordinarily lucky, they'll have a ~1 day turnaround and you'll get the licence on the day.

I had my full license about 4 days after handing in the forms

Also, even if you could apply early, your license would still be issued in June, so either way you'd fall under the new scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭augmented reality

If you drop in the forms a few days before you're 17, the woman in my local MTO said they would hold it and post it out the day before you turn 17 so You get it on your birthday.

Im fairly sure they have to post it the first time to confirm your address under registered postage, any time after that you can collect any licences in the MTO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭J_R

If you drop in the forms a few days before you're 17, the woman in my local MTO said they would hold it and post it out the day before you turn 17 so You get it on your birthday.

Im fairly sure they have to post it the first time to confirm your address under registered postage, any time after that you can collect any licences in the MTO.
    Hi,

Correct. You can apply before your birthday, either by post or in person. They will process it and usually post it out so that you receive it on your birthday.

• Advertisement
Advertisement