Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steyr Pro Hunter

Options
  • 09-02-2011 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hi all....

i have a Sako 75 Varmint in 6.5x55, but i was looking for a Steyr Pro Hunter in he same calibre....i had one before, but the model im after now would be a Heavy Barrel model?

i thought i saw them advertised a while back, but no web sights seem to have them listed as a new option now...

anyone know anything on a Pro Hunter heavy barrell 6.5 x 55??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Tac wrote: »
    Hi all....

i have a Sako 75 Varmint in 6.5x55, but i was looking for a Steyr Pro Hunter in he same calibre....i had one before, but the model im after now would be a Heavy Barrel model?

i thought i saw them advertised a while back, but no web sights seem to have them listed as a new option now...

anyone know anything on a Pro Hunter heavy barrell 6.5 x 55??

What about here
    http://www.steyrarms.com/products/hunting-rifles/pro-varmint/

http://www.steyrarms.com/products/hunting-rifles/pro-hunter/

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Tac

Thanks for that. The varmint dosent come in 6.5x55 as far as i can tell. The pro hunter is the same as the one i already had, it dosent have the heavy bull barrel, what im lookin for now is the heavy barrel pro hunter in 6.5x55.

Thanks for that. The varmint dosent come in 6.5x55 as far as i can tell. The pro hunter is the same as the one i already had, it dosent have the heavy bull barrel, what im lookin for now is the heavy barrel pro hunter in 6.5x55.

never seen pro-hunter with heavy barrel, i have the pro hunter in 308, love it. I love the heavy barrels so if i knew it could be got i would have got one instead. i am hoping to swap mine for a steyr ssg69 with heavy barrel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

this is the steyr i have

http://www.steyrarms.com/products/sporting-rifles/steyr-elite/

i had the pro-hunter before but i found the stock a bit to flexible at the front where the bi-pod attaches and can sometimes cause the barrel and stock to touch

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    this is the steyr i have

http://www.steyrarms.com/products/sporting-rifles/steyr-elite/

i had the pro-hunter before but i found the stock a bit to flexible at the front where the bi-pod attaches and can sometimes cause the barrel and stock to touch

ya the pro hunter 1 I believe was like that but was rectified and they brought out a pro hunter 2, i never had that problem

• Advertisement

ya the pro hunter 1 I believe was like that but was rectified and they brought out a pro hunter 2, i never had that problem

great. the rifle its self was an excellent one thats why i bought another one. the elite has the same action but a heavier barrel. and a different stock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭GixxerThou

Dont think you will get one in heavy barrel.. how about a sako 75 varmint in 6.5?? I know of one second hand in mint condition.. its a real shooter too..

why does it have to be 6.5x55, if you dont mind me asking.
    there are plenty of other calibers out there.

i'm not against the cal, i'm a fan if anything. but if you want a rifle i would go for another cal and there are plenty of good ones out there.

just in case you have never heard of it the 7mm 08 is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

I have prohunter 2 in 6.5 and had the same problem with flexible forend, couldnt even manage 4 inch group. Solution was 2 stainless steel rods and some epoxy putty, sorted it good :D

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/RICHAR%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
    forendbefore.jpg

forendafter.jpg

tfox wrote: »
    I have prohunter 2 in 6.5 and had the same problem with flexible forend, couldnt even manage 4 inch group. Solution was 2 stainless steel rods and some epoxy putty, sorted it good :D

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/RICHAR%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
    forendbefore.jpg

forendafter.jpg

That looks like an excellent fix. Did it work.
    The one I had was not that bad as 4" groups but when using a bipod sometimes it would put pressure on the barrel and cause a flyer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    That looks like an excellent fix. Did it work.
    The one I had was not that bad as 4" groups but when using a bipod sometimes it would put pressure on the barrel and cause a flyer

when I moved house i put my gun safe on the ground inside the hot press so I think when the rifle was lying horizontal it bent the flimsy forend bit more, was rubbing off the barrel the whole time !!

Stiffening it up has totally tranformed it, 1/2"groups when I make the effort :D Feels much more solid now and the extra weight keeps it all much steadier :)

tfox wrote: »
    when I moved house i put my gun safe on the ground inside the hot press so I think when the rifle was lying horizontal it bent the flimsy forend bit more, was rubbing off the barrel the whole time !!

Stiffening it up has totally tranformed it, 1/2"groups when I make the effort :D Feels much more solid now and the extra weight keeps it all much steadier :)

you should send steyr the fix and get some credit. everyone i know that has or had a prohunter said the same thing, flimsy fore end of the stock.

great rifle other than that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Rifle like paulos .308 in Dave Mulvihills in ballymahon (or so i heard)

Not 6.5 I know, but might be of interest

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Tac

thanks for all the info folks. i have a sako75 varmint in 6.5x55 and i love it, was thinking if i could get a pro hunter in a heavy barrell i'd go for it. Im nearly certain i saw them advertised in the UK a few years back. the nearest steyr is the SSG 04, but thats not available in that calibre....I might just re-stock the Sako with a synthetic one..

oh, one more Q, anyone know where there is a Tikka T3 Tactical in .300 Win Mag for sale?...and what money too??? thanks again for the info!! ! :)

thanks for all the info folks. i have a sako75 varmint in 6.5x55 and i love it, was thinking if i could get a pro hunter in a heavy barrell i'd go for it. Im nearly certain i saw them advertised in the UK a few years back. the nearest steyr is the SSG 04, but thats not available in that calibre....I might just re-stock the Sako with a synthetic one..

oh, one more Q, anyone know where there is a Tikka T3 Tactical in .300 Win Mag for sale?...and what money too??? thanks again for the info!! ! :)

your a man after my own hart. i have a tikka tac in .223 and i toyed with the idea of getting it in .308 before i found the steyr elite, and i thought i would be a bit weired to have 2 the same .
    i have never seen it for sale but if you find one please let me have a go of it. i love tikka tac. i have always said if i ever buy a winny i would have to look at the tac

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kjhavoc

Hi tfox. Noticed the job you did on the pro bunter. I have a pro hunter with the same problem forend. Could you PM me some more details on how you fixed the rifle maybe some more images. It would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisement