Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Full Irish Car Licence = Prvisional Motorcycle Licence?

• 09-02-2011 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭

Hey lads,

Quick question for ye.
    Does a having a full Irish driving licence mean you automatically have a provisional motorcycle licence?

I'm pretty sure my pink licence doesn't show motorbike on it but I could be wrong.

Although I remember my blue provisional did have <125cc.

I'm going through the process of trying to get full motorbike licence in the UK and was told that first I need to exchange my Irish for a UK licence and then do the theory and CBT to get provisional.

I just phoned the DVLA and I've been told that when I exchange my licence it will mean that I'll have a provisional motorcycle licence automatically. :confused:
    Which would be handy but I'm still not sure if this is right and whether or not I'll need to do the CBT.

I know there's a lot of posts already about this, but I'm a bit confused and the link from the sticky seems to be dead.
    So does anyone know if the full Irish car means you have provisional motorbike? I mean if I can get a UK provisional licence straight off it should make things a bit easier.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

dioltas wrote: »
    So does anyone know if the full Irish car means you have provisional motorbike?

Thanks

No AFAIK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

No it doesn't. Think it used to years ago but not anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

short version of your question appears to be:

if you exchange your full 'B' category irish license for a UK one, what categories will it have

and tbh, I dont think there would have been any thing in the stickies covering that.. wouldnt really have any reason to doubt what the dvla are telling you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

I've had it before that someone from the DVLA will tell you one thing and then you phone and speak to someone else and you hear the opposite. Had a lot of fun importing a vehicle from Ireland before...

I just thought it stange that they would give you a provisional one in exchange for a licence that doesn't have one, so wanted to double check this.

Will just have to wait and see what happens I suppose.

Advertisement