Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Few Questions

Options
  • 09-02-2011 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi there, i was just wondering if you guys could answer a couple of questions regarding building my own pc, i've browsed quite a bit today and yesterday over the FAQ's and some threads but i just have a couple of questions i couldn't find the answers to. Well first off i'm a complete novice at building pc's most i've done is put a DVD drive onto my old pc, so i was just wondering if i should try find someone to put it together for me (local pc shop or something) or juts read guides and try it myself. Secondly i'm still saving up at the moment for my computer and i want to be able to play games like Bf3 kinda games at high settings without any fps lag :-/ so i was wondering what would be a decent amount of money to save up for? not wanting to spend thousands before someone posts that kinda money lol :D keeping in mind i'm gonna need everything including case os all that stuff, (except mouse/keyboard/monitor already got these) And lastly my final question is, I currently have a 32inch hdtv in my room that i was hoping to use as a monitor and was just wondering if it's worth using this for a monitor or will it just look silly as a monitor and distort all my picutre? Didn't think i'd type this much but thanks for taking the time to read it and thanks in advance for any feedback. If i left anything out that you'd need to know please let me know and i'll edit the post as soon as i can. -Dean.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Build yourself! Its easy with a little research and patience. Decent money for a high end system would be around €1000, probably less if your willing to stay away from Sandybridge.

32" should be fine picture wise as long as you have a graphics card good enough to run games at max resolution. You need to think of the practicalities though, your going to have to be sitting a few feet back from a 32" monitor when your playing a FPS like BF3

• Registered Users Posts: 46 DeanH544

Hmm i see, One thing that's really scaring me about building it myself is my friend was telling me once about how you can fry your cards and stuff if you touch em with static on your hands or something o.O As for the practicalities of the monitor i currently play playstation on my tv so i was hoping to be using the pc from the same distance away, but i was worried the text on websites and stuff might be too small to read when im sitting that away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Yes static discharge can be an issue when building PC's but nothing major. You can use an Antistaic wrist strap if it worries you. I've never bothered myself, I usually make sure to touch something metal right before I handle anything like motherboard, graphics card, ram etc.

PC's in general were never really designed to be viewed from a distance like you would a television. Sure you can set the resolution really low and make everything huge and zoom in on webpages but it seems a bit ridiculous? If your going to playing a first person shooter it won't be like on a console where you sit 5-10ft away from the television and use a joypad. You will be using a keyboard and mouse and will need to sit in front of the monitor.

Have you ever used a PC for gaming? Seems like you haven't thought through the practicalities of this? Watching films etc should be fine if you want to sit 10ft away but for everything else you will need a desk and chair and be sitting right in front of the PC. Like this

img0231rh3vq1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 46 DeanH544

Ah i see, so if i like just touch the case while i'm handling the important stuff it should be fine? =o Yeah i used to only use pc / laptops but recently sold my laptop so i could invest in a new desktop, just got the ps3 as a birthday gift not overly happy about console gaming as opposed to pc gaming ~ I'll probably just use the tv for a while and see what it's like then if i don't like it just invest in a monitor for it :D That wrist strap looks like something i'll probably get to be on the safe side though, thanks very much for the response ^_^

Advertisement