Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading an old(ish) PC...

Options
  • 09-02-2011 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Looking for some advice in regards upgrading an older PC. Took a look around in regards building a new machine from scratch and I just can't justify the cost, even though I'd love to.

So, I'd like to see what the opinion is in regards upgrading my current rig:

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (2.2GHz, Socket 939, 512KB)

Motherboard - Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, nForce4 SLI (Socket 939, S-ATA, Dual-GbLAN, Firewire, PCI-EX16)

Graphics Card - Club3D Radeon X800XL (256MB GDDR3, 256bit PCI Express, DVI, VGA)

RAM - 1GB DDR PC3200 Dual Channel OCZ Premier

Most amount of RAM I can add is 4GB so I'd be looking to go the whole hog on that side of things.

I'd be willing to spend in the region of €400-500 but if longetivity can be achieved by spending a bit more then I'd be open to that.

Thanks in advance....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Well the fastest chip you can upgrade to will still bottleneck your machine for current gaming

And for 600 euros (500 + 100 for machine sold) you can get a v nice budget machine that will run all games - Have a look in the budget sticky

If however you decide to stick with the current machine, yah do a cheap ram upgrade, pick up the fastest 939 chip for 60ish euros (4800+) I believe and then get budget graphics for 100 euro
    Heres a quick list
    http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ASUS/A8N-SLI_Deluxe.html

Upgraded to the highest chip possible plus 4 gigs ram plus 100 euros on a graphics card, will run todays games.. but will be a bottleneck definitely at the cpu. Still, wouldn't be dreadful. If you have the cash I recommend the 500 to 600 euro budget build, that machine would be 2 or 3 times faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭BULLER

Ditto. You'd get much better improvement by building a new PC for 500-600 than what you can upgrade that to. There's a host of websites out there you can buy cheap parts from. That old mobo would just be extremely constraining...
    If you wanna play BF3 you've plenty of time to get you're act together. The GTX460 might come down in price by the summer if past trends are anything to go by, and that would get you great framerates if coupled with an i3 on a cheap new mobo.

Advertisement