Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling to Dublin Airport -Is there a better way?

Options
  • 09-02-2011 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

Cycled to Dublin airport from Killester dart station the other day. My route followed Collins Ave., then Swords road. Wasn't too bad traffic wise. But until I actually got to the airport, cycle path was either non-existant or piss-poor. Swords road in particular had very poor surface. Is the Swords road the best way to cycle from city centre to Airport? If so the facilities for cycling to the airport really need to be improved:

A) loads of people work in the airport.

B) Ireland is actually being promote as a cycle-tourist destination.

Tell me there's much better route I don't know about!

Here's the route I took-

http://tinyurl.com/killestertoDubairo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I'm always using this website to plan my journeys:

http://www.nationaltransport.ie/walk-cycle-planner.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Any time I cycle to the airport I use the Swords Road. I stay on the road, but keep an eye behind for buses and pull in right against the footpath as they approach so they can't buzz me to teach me a lesson about using cycle lanes. Has worked fine for me so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭spokeydokey

Yes, it is really the only option I think. I just use the bus lane too as the cycle lanes are a joke.

You're right though. Leaving Dublin airport is not a pleasant start for a cycling holiday.

What are the cycle lanes in the airport like? any use?

Cycle lanes in the airport not very good.

For example:
    4753075514_437d190f40_m.jpg

Yes, just roll onto the road in one of the places motorists will be least expecting you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I use the old Swords road. Traffic volumes tend to be reasonable due to the motorway. There is far worse in Dublin, IMO, so not sure what the issue is... Of course I ignore the cycle tracks and use the road.

• Advertisement

Quote from the comment section of Copenhagenize.com about that cycle lane (the site's proprietor think it's "brilliant" since all cycling facilities are "brilliant"):
    David Hembrow said...
    Mikael, I really think you need to exercise a bit of quality control.

The picture you snapped out of the window is a good example of truly awful junction design. Exactly how is anyone to get onto or off that cycle path, in that location, without doing something unexpected in front of cars on the road ?

I'm very pro cycle paths, but not just any cycle path. This is the sort of rubbish which gives cycle paths a bad name. You won't find "design" like this in the Netherlands.

http://www.copenhagenize.com/2010/07/dublin-rolls-from-past-to-future.html

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭weaselman

I cycle that to the airport from rathgar daily and the road from Santry to the Airport is one of the worst stretches of tarmac i've to face. Stick to the bus lanes and you'll be fine. Luckily the lanes are pretty wide so taxis and buses give you a good bit of space (not counting for the occasional psycho).

New bike paths were put in all around the airport which are a massive improvement on what used to be there but like most planned cycle lanes in this country they leave a lot to be desired when it comes to junctions. Stick to the roads again is my advice once within the airport campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

blorg wrote: »
    I use the old Swords road. Traffic volumes tend to be reasonable due to the motorway. There is far worse in Dublin, IMO, so not sure what the issue is... Of course I ignore the cycle tracks and use the road.

Well if you ignore the cycle tracks (and I don't blame you), the only issue is the road surface which is pretty bad. Far worse in Dublin, no doubt. But traffic level aside I'd say Swords Road is worse than the following (bad as they are): N11, Rock Road, N4, Howth Road, Clontarf Road.

What's my issue? You'll notice that like in most big cities a lot of money has been put into good road links to the Airport. It was ever so, as far as I know the airport road was one of the first dual carriage ways in Ireland. I think this is done not only because of traffic volumes but also to put a country's 'best side' to visitors. In 2 3rd world cities I've been in Addis Ababad and Port-au-Prince the best roads were also to the airport. Believe it or not the Ballymun flats were actually built near the airport to impress. Anyway my point is the govt. is spending money promoting cyclo-tourism - but if you fly into Dublin airport and cycle out of the place you'll be greeted with appauling cycing facilities even by Dublin standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Cycle lanes in the airport not very good.

For example:
    4753075514_437d190f40_m.jpg

Yes, just roll onto the road in one of the places motorists will be least expecting you.

I agree, the surface etc. is fine. But as usual very poor integration at junctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

you could come up the road from the Hilton Malahide Road and turn in by Baskin then across and in the back of the Coachmans.

TBH I like that strech of road on old Swords Road there's not many lights and is time to get some speed up on the way home. It's reasonably quiet compared to rest of commute from town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 oOjimbobOo

Ive cycled to the airport from Santry for years. It is the only way apart from the road at the back of Coachman's, but Id imagine that there is fast traffic on this road.

Was stopped by two German tourists outside AALSA recently who were on a cycling trip. They wanted to know how to get into the city centre and where the cycle-lane started......"Well, I wouldnt start here anyways!" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Sorry to bring up a very old thread, but the info is relevant. I'll be moving jobs soon, moving to the airport, and considering cycling from Glasnevin to the airport via the swords road. Has the situation improved since the info in this thread?

I'll trial a few routes some weekend before committing to it as a viable option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

It's vastly improved. There's no cycle track/lane from Collin's Avenue to Northwood(ish) via Santry but once past that it's actually pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

2 good options:

#1 Add some distance and head along the coast road via Portmarnock and Malahide to Swords and then down the old airport road to the Airport for 29km

#2 Head up the Malahide road to Kinsealy and then come out at the coachmans and head down to the airport roundabout for @ 11km

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I do it daily from Killiney and it's grand malahide road - Collins Ave-santry
    When you cross over the cross roads at Collins ave and the old airport road so into the housing estate and the road runs parallel to the main road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

budhabob wrote: »
    Sorry to bring up a very old thread, but the info is relevant. I'll be moving jobs soon, moving to the airport, and considering cycling from Glasnevin to the airport via the swords road. Has the situation improved since the info in this thread?

I'll trial a few routes some weekend before committing to it as a viable option.

don't use the cycle track outside Airways industrial estate. Its on the path and brings you down into the people at the bus stop at high speed. Stay in the bus lane.

Similarly going the other way past Northwood ,stay in the bus lane as cycle path brings you into conflict with bus stop and left turning traffic into 2 industrial estates.

watch out for the green cycle light at Northwood. Gets you away before the motorised traffic and gives you a head start over buses ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    ....Similarly going the other way past Northwood ,stay in the bus lane as cycle path brings you into conflict with bus stop and left turning traffic into 2 industrial estates.

watch out for the green cycle light at Northwood. Gets you away before the motorised traffic and gives you a head start over buses ect.
    That green cycle light is only applicable to cyclists using the cycle track. If using the bus lane, you're legally obliged to go with the normal traffic lights.

That green cycle light is only applicable to cyclists using the cycle track. If using the bus lane, you're legally obliged to go with the normal traffic lights.

I'd call that a footpath rather than a cycle track.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I cycle from Terenure to Swords most days. I head north via Dorset St, Drumcondra, Whitehall, Santry and out past Dublin Airport.

In general the cycle lanes on my route that are on the road are OK but I avoid the ones that are on the footpath with the exception of the one up the drag to Whitehall as I got sick of being blasted at with car horns.

Out by Dublin Airport is fine and I use the cycle lane for a short spell but I get back on the road just before the ALSAA junction to avoid loss of priority.

don't use the cycle track outside Airways industrial estate. Its on the path and brings you down into the people at the bus stop at high speed. Stay in the bus lane.

Similarly going the other way past Northwood ,stay in the bus lane as cycle path brings you into conflict with bus stop and left turning traffic into 2 industrial estates.

Interesting point.
    had a closer look at this on the commute this morning. When the green cycle light comes on you can proceed in the cycle lane across the junction. The cycle lane only splits into bus lane/on path cycle lane again after the cycle light so I presume its perfectly legal as you have cleared the junction before you decide whether to use the bus lane or cycle lane again.

• Advertisement

Interesting point.
    had a closer look at this on the commute this morning. When the green cycle light comes on you can proceed in the cycle lane across the junction. The cycle lane only splits into bus lane/on path cycle lane again after the cycle light so I presume its perfectly legal as you have cleared the junction before you decide whether to use the bus lane or cycle lane again.

By using the bus lane you cut across the pedestrians crossing the road as they also have a green light there

ted1 wrote: »
    By using the bus lane you cut across the pedestrians crossing the road as they also have a green light there

but that happens when using the cycle lane as well??

you just cut across them on the footpath/cycle path instead of the road.

Its a bad design. I am not sure what the point of the cycle light is in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....Its a bad design. I am not sure what the point of the cycle light is in this situation.
    Yes it's not a great design.

My interpretation is that the cycle light dedicated for those who have chosen to utilise the segregated track (on the footpath) several hundred meters prior to reaching the junction.

Those who use the bus lane track (myself included) must wait on a red with other vehicles even though the green cycle light in on.

(The cycle light is also several meters to the left and forward of the standard lights which to me indicates that it is for separate 'traffic').

but that happens when using the cycle lane as well??

you just cut across them on the footpath/cycle path instead of the road.

Its a bad design. I am not sure what the point of the cycle light is in this situation.

Doing it in the shared surface is legal, doing it in the bus lane is illegal.

It is a bad design, they shook have just left out the foot path part if the bike and Eliminated the concussion by keeping bike in the bus lane

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I agree, the surface etc. is fine. But as usual very poor integration at junctions.

That's always the way. It's infuriating cycling around with the kids when you actually make an effort to keep them safe and use the lanes. You get a grand wide lane on a straight stretch of road sometimes and then you get to a busy junction - exactly where a cyclist needs a bit of help or protection or guidance and the fcukin lanes just disappear into the ether with a virtual "shrug" and a "you're on yer own for dis bit Bud".

"If you make it out the other side alive then we'll pick up where we left off again for the straight easy bits"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Yes it's not a great design.

My interpretation is that the cycle light dedicated for those who have chosen to utilise the segregated track (on the footpath) several hundred meters prior to reaching the junction.

Those who use the bus lane track (myself included) must wait on a red with other vehicles even though the green cycle light in on.

(The cycle light is also several meters to the left and forward of the standard lights which to me indicates that it is for separate 'traffic').
    ted1 wrote: »
    Doing it in the shared surface is legal, doing it in the bus lane is illegal.

It is a bad design, they shook have just left out the foot path part if the bike and Eliminated the concussion by keeping bike in the bus lane

I agree with the above for this particular junction.

If you're on the road then you obey the traffic signals that are applicable to road traffic. If you're on the segregated cycle track then then use the cycle lane traffic light.

Advertisement