Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Put another Wireless Router downstairs

Options
  • 09-02-2011 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

I have an eircom wireless modem upstairs. It's in the corner of a room and often signal drops in certain parts of the house downstairs when using Wifi.

I have a set of homeplugs so that I can use a wired connection downstairs, but ideally would like to put another Wireless router downstairs where the second homeplug is currently.

Can someone suggest a router to purchase, when I can just stick in the ethernet cable from the downstairs homeplug?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Just get an access point so the existing modem handles all routing.
    http://elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE815874&productID=S1497288

You must make sure that both devices are on completely different channels, if the existing modem is on 11 put this on channel 1. Channels 1, 6 and 11 are the 3 non-overlapping channels in wireless "g"

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

does it matter if the router is a different make to the first router? to connect to the existing DSL , is a phone connection needed (as a starting point?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

DRice wrote: »
    does it matter if the router is a different make to the first router? to connect to the existing DSL , is a phone connection needed (as a starting point?)

does not matter if the router's are of different make. as long as you can configure one of them to work as an access point rather than a router.

as for the second question, not quite sure what you mean.

if you have eircom, then the phone line gets plugged into the eircom router.
    out of this, you can connect another router, and use it as an access point. you do not need to connect the second router to the phone line. you connect it back to the eircom router via ethernet cable (rj45 cable)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Declan Carey

does not matter if the router's are of different make. as long as you can configure one of them to work as an access point rather than a router.

as for the second question, not quite sure what you mean.

if you have eircom, then the phone line gets plugged into the eircom router.
    out of this, you can connect another router, and use it as an access point. you do not need to connect the second router to the phone line. you connect it back to the eircom router via ethernet cable (rj45 cable)
    Excellent, I shall be be investing in an access point soon enough. Thanks for the help.

Advertisement