Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eye hallucinations

• 09-02-2011 4:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Xivilai

If I massage my eyes and gently press on them with my hand I always get weird flashes of light and odd shapes appear. When I woke up this morning it happened when I was rubbing my eyes.

It can be very vivid sometimes - this morning for example, a fuzzy ball of light with a black circle in the middle appeared. As I concentrated on it, I was able to make it brighter. I could then open and close my eyes and get the same ball of light to appear. Often I just get a kind of shimmering fog or swirling streaks appear.

I mentioned it to the college nurse once when I was inquiring about my irritating eye floater problem :(
    (Floaters are those annoying squiggles and dots that can appear as you get older - they're cracks in the liquidy part of the eye or something. I'm only 22 but my eyes are riddled with them) She said it was normal.

So does anyone else experience this? I have very bad eye-sight so that might have something to do with it.

Did a google, and it shows up as "Closed-eye hallucination"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Lay off the ecstacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've been doing that since I was a nipper. AFAIK it's because when you press on your eye you're putting stress on your optic nerve and your brain interprets it as 'light'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

You know those little floaters that you talked about?

Imagine that they're all little parasitic worms that live on your eyeballs. At night they burrow around the back and feed on your brain, which is where their eggs hatch out.

Sleep well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Completely normal I'd say. I get the same thing and it never struck me as odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

You have 2 days to live.

• Advertisement

Xivilai wrote: »
    If I massage my eyes and gently press on them with my hand I always get weird flashes of light and odd shapes appear. When I woke up this morning it happened when I was rubbing my eyes.

It can be very vivid sometimes - this morning for example, a fuzzy ball of light with a black circle in the middle appeared. As I concentrated on it, I was able to make it brighter. I could then open and close my eyes and get the same ball of light to appear. Often I just get a kind of shimmering fog or swirling streaks appear.

I mentioned it to the college nurse once when I was inquiring about my irritating eye floater problem :(
    (Floaters are those annoying squiggles and dots that can appear as you get older - they're cracks in the liquidy part of the eye or something. I'm only 22 but my eyes are riddled with them) She said it was normal.

So does anyone else experience this? I have very bad eye-sight so that might have something to do with it.

So... you press on your eyes and strain them, see funny things as a result, and you also have very bad eye sight?
    Am I right so far

Do you stare at the sun too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Try putting liquid LSD on your eyeballs. It is an experience.
    Don't be stupid drugs are for losers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Xivilai

Interesting responses :)

The floaters are annoying. Especially if theres a lot of white paint. :eek: Like flies on your eyes.

Nothing warms up 2 cold eyes like watching the sun 8)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I like trying to focus my eyes directly on them, resulting in me visually chasing them around all over the place. Whenever I manage to look directly at one it immediately disappears or moves.

Sometimes they actually do look like little parasites as AnonoBoy so eloquently brought up. Or at least, little 3D tubey or circular-shaped looking things. Different to the light spots, can't remember how to get them though. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Xivilai

i know what you mean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

liah wrote: »
    I like trying to focus my eyes directly on them, resulting in me visually chasing them around all over the place. Whenever I manage to look directly at one it immediately disappears or moves.

Ha! I used to do that all the time as a kid. Don't seem to see them as much now that I'm older. It would to be like watching a bubble floating through the air but knowing it would never burst!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Entopic phenomena. Perfectly normal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Oh squiggly line in my eye fluid. I see you lurking there on the peripheral of my vision.

But when I try to look at you, you scurry away.

Are you shy, squiggly line?

Why only when I ignore you, do you return to the center of my eye?

Oh, squiggly line, it's alright, you are forgiven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I remember when I read online about eye floaters for the first time and found out that they were as common as the cold. It was a big relief, always thought I had wonky defective eyes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Xivilai wrote: »

Yes, everyone gets this, Newton nearly made himself blind experimenting with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

crazyderk wrote: »
    Oh squiggly line in my eye fluid. I see you lurking there on the peripheral of my vision.

Crazyderk's Ode to A Floater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The picture the human eye captures isn't all that good before the brain processes it. Your brain fills in a large black spot, sharpens the image (only a tiny part of the image the eye captures is actually in focus) flips it and merges it with the other eye to create a 3D image. There's some hardcore processing going on there and people reckon you don't really see with your eyes at all but instead with your brain.

So it's quiet likely there's nothing wrong with your eyes, it's your brain that's fudged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I get eye hallucinations in my ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

sometimes I can see intricate clockwork, cogs and wheels everywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Apparently some of it is radiation from the start of the start of the universe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

If it starts happening by itself without you touching your eyes it's called an occular migraine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Long time hallucinogenic users get them a lot. Are you a fan of the mushrooms, OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭gamgsam

The photo receptors hyperpolarise in reponse to light hitting them. This is signalled to the brain to give the sensation of light.

The beauty is that no matter what the stimulus at a particular receptor (mechanical deformation in your case) the sensation that arises will always be the same, so if you poke your eye, you'll see a flash.

There's another theory that the neurons in the retina fire frantically because the bool supply is temporarilycut off, though I'm not convinced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Jaafa wrote: »
    Apparently some of it is radiation from the start of the start of the universe.

You're joking right? If you squeeze an apple and watch how bruises develop in the affected areas you wouldn't put that down to cosmic radiation.. you'd put it down to the subjects own natural way with dealing with the changes caused by outside forces.

Closing your eyes and applying undue pressure to them causes your rods & cones (harhar) to adapt differently to the lack of light than they would without the added pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I thought this thread was going to be about eve out of adam and eve. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

...So you're squashing your eye and seeing weird shapes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

If it starts happening by itself without you touching your eyes it's called an occular migraine.

I get that if i'm exhausted, its like a big blotch of my eye has no vision, its not blurry, its just not there, like i look at something directly and it disappears, most annoying at work when i have to look at a screen and cant see what it is im directly looking at.

floaters I've had years, the more tired i am the more prevalent they are, or if its really bright light or looking at a plain white surface, theres they are. looking like a biology diagram of a germ or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,627 ✭✭✭veryangryman

crazyderk wrote: »

Beat me to it... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭whoopdedoo

I used to do this a lot on the yolks

would blow the head off ya flying thru space and then up, down and inside out thru tunnels at warp 9!!

I remember sitting a mate down one night and getting him to try it while we all looked on, he jumped up out of his seat when it started! was so funny haha

truely trippy stuff

Advertisement