Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spain Ireland wc2002 on ESPN Classic now

• 09-02-2011 4:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭

Harte just missed the penalty. Oh, the memories...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

God it was horrible watching that game.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Robbie Keane scoring the last minute penalty was my favourite memory from watching Ireland

I was very young at the time but I just about remember Ray Houghton's goal against Italy. It was a few years later before I realised how big of a deal it really was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Hierro trying to take the shirt off Quinny. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I'd kinda forgotten just how good Duff was at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

AgileMyth wrote: »
    I'd kinda forgotten just how good Duff was at the time.

Did ye not see him last night? Bombin about like there's no tomorrow, legend :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Get in, Keano!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Keano's goal in the last minute of the game versus Germany was the highlight of that World Cup for me. Ollie Kahn was near ****ing invincible then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,397 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Ah memories. I nearly wet myself when Duffer cut inside in injury time and had a go. Thought it was destiny :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

cson wrote: »
    Keano's goal in the last minute of the game versus Germany was the highlight of that World Cup for me. Ollie Kahn was near ****ing invincible then.

I was in an exam for my Junior Cert when that happened!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

We should have gone a lot further in that competition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

We should have gone a lot further in that competition

Yeah, you really have to wonder. Even without Keane, we had a cracking squad with a lot of belief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,447 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I was on a flight back to the US from Japan when this game was played.

I have never seen even a single second of it and that is the way I wish to continue me life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Harte just missed the penalty. Oh, the memories...

My main memory of that WC is when Harte missed the penalty, but more importantly Kilbane shanking the follow up wide from about 4 yards :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I was on a flight back to the US from Japan when this game was played.

I have never seen even a single second of it and that is the way I wish to continue me life.

If that is true, you really are missing out.

I've always felt we could have won this world cup. Beat Spain and we meet South Korea who we were better than. Beat them and its Germany who we'd already matched in the group. Then a Brazil team in the final that were good but could definitely be rattled as was proved by Turkey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Be honest I dont think we would have beaten South korea on basis that they had ref and linesmen on there side also.

Italy and Spain were both robbed by some harsh decisions against Korea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Afair Spain lost a man due to cramp in the last ten minute of ET and didn't have any subs left - so they went to ten men. Mick never told the team to push on at this point and seemed happy to take the pens - I never forgave him for that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Come on Ireland!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭CharlesHaughey

I Roy was there who knows what could have happened.

Unfortunately that eejit Mick McCarthy scruffed the chance of any of that happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

It was the most awful football experience I have ever had in my life. Even more so considering that in my heart I knew we'd lose, despite the fact we were battering the Spanish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

I remember the game well. Couldn't believe it went to penalties. Once the game had finished, due to the fact that my father is Spanish, the derogartory texts started to arrive:p Was to be expected;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,447 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It was the most awful football experience I have ever had in my life. Even more so considering that in my heart I knew we'd lose, despite the fact we were battering the Spanish.

And that why I don't ever wish to watch it.

Knowing that Ireland threw it away is enough, I really don't need to see exactly how they threw it away.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Watched the game in Vicar St at the time, great game. Ireland hanging on in the first half with the offside rule and throwing it away and then Mendieta's penalty bouncing over Given's leg.

Great tournament. Best football tournament I've watched..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

That was a 7am kick off on a Saturday wasn't it? I used be demented from teh night before watching those games.

I don't remember that being a 7am game, but maybe it was. I watched all the games in a pub in Waterford when I lived there. They gave out a free breakfast/lunch to everyone in the bar during the games, was quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Defo wasn't 7am. Was 12 or 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

SantryRed wrote: »
    Defo wasn't 7am. Was 12 or 1.

I was still rotten with the drink either way.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

It was an afternoon kick-off; I remember there was an Ulster Championship match on at the same time (when I came home from the pub) and the GAA wouldn't call it off!

I've always wondered, if we had have won that penalty shoot-out, would it have been as fondly remembered as the Romanian one in Italia 90?
    I don't think it would have, despite it being against a better team; the stuffing had been knocked out of everyone after the events in Saipan and there just wasn't that same sense of euphoria around the country for the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It was the best worlc cup for us in the type of football we played anyway. Duff should have been on the all-star team from that world cup.

He was robbed of that. Duff was just unreal in that world cup, everytime he got the ball, he got all our hearts beating faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

2002 was one of the better World Cups IMO.

There were some big shocks (France going out early doors, South Korea and Senegal getting so far), lots of goals, dramatic extra time victories and penalty shoot-outs and the hosts certainly put on a cracking event. The only thing that wasn't good from a European point of view was the games kicking off so early, put of course that can't be helped.

Even though it was disappointing for Ireland to get knocked out in the way that they did, I look back on the 2002 World Cup with only good memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

It was the best worlc cup for us in the type of football we played anyway. Duff should have been on the all-star team from that world cup.

He was robbed of that. Duff was just unreal in that world cup, everytime he got the ball, he got all our hearts beating faster.

He was picked on the team of tournament I think. He was amazing back then, and still is as he proved on Tuesday night. Has crazy pace still for a 31 yo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

should have beat spain that day,the one we left behind.It was 12.30 ko sunday morning.we were lucky all are games were 12.30 except the cameroon game that was 7.30a.m on a saturday morning ,my local opened at 7.never seen so many people locked watching a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Was living in Melbourne at the time and watched the game in an Irish pub. Was devastated after we went out. We played so well though I often think it was better losing honestly to Spain than it would have been losing to what would have surely been a series of astounding refereeing decisions against South Korea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Was sitting on a plane in Malaga going back to dublin and we were taxiing to the runway. I was the only person on teh plane with an FM/AM radio (it was a tape walkman with a radio) and I shouted out the Ireland had gotten a penalty in the last minute. The whole plane was looking at me to see if it went in. When it went in i cheered and teh whole plane cheered with me.

We then had to take off and I had to turn the radio off obviously so nobody knew what way ET or Penalties turned out. Then teh Spanish pilot got on the radio and announced the penalties 1 by 1... Heartbreaking.

Advertisement