Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking your horse on holiday - in Ireland?

Options
  • 09-02-2011 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi all

In the last few years, when my OH and I go on a holiday, I try to get in some horseriding at a local stables - enjoy new scenery, practice riding different horses, fun beach riding, etc. Now that I have my own horse, I was thinking how novel it would be to bring him along for a weekend someplace, just for something different and relaxing

Out of curiosity, I googled if there was anyplace where you can bring your horse on holiday in Ireland. I found Slieve Aughty in Loughrea, but nothing else (as far as I could see). There were loads of results in England, and even the BHS has a site "Horses Welcome" listing B&Bs where you can bring your horse in England, Scotland or Wales http://www.horseswelcome.org/

Anyone know places in Ireland that do this as a holiday package of sorts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Kens

You could try Flowerhill in Galway & Castle Leslie I'm sure there are others but these are the only ones I know of :)

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ems_12

Maybe try the Sligo Holiday Horse Farm or Annaharvey Farm in Tullamore? I know they both offer 'horsey' holidays but I'm not sure if they can accommodate your horse too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

It's not an actual equestrian centre but Harvey's Point Hotel in Donegal allows you to take your horse with you and offers livery in the hotel grounds to go out on hacks. As far as I know anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Around the corner from me:

http://www.riding-centre.com/

Ring and ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Annagharvey Farm is superb for your horse holiday, Castle Leslie too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Determined to bring my horse to Castle Leslie some day . . . before I die. Also if you are a BHS member, keep your eyes peeled on this:

http://www.bhsireland.com/summercamps.asp

IIRC their prices were fairly reasonable last year. Pony camp for Adults :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭wosheen

Great suggestions! Must look into Annaharvey Farm and Castle Leslie, sound great, and I love Harvey's Point in donegal so will check that out too. All these places should market the idea of bringing your horse on holiday for us horsey people :D There may only be a limited audience, but it's a novel idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Everytime I have gone down to annaharvey farm one of the friends brought their horse with them, great experience for them. Instructors were very helpful with any issues that came up on the cross country course

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

I think Grace's in North Tipperary offer this too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭cookerj

The Eclipse is in Kenmare, I brought my boy there twice with a friend and her horse, we had an absolute ball. They're right on the Ring of Kerry and you can do loads of other activities in case you've a non horsey partner or want to bring children - archery, assault course, canoeing, cyling, golf, yoga and even something called mudsurfing which I didn't get to try! Highly recommend it. They often have demonstrations and courses going on, all 5 star reviews on TripAdvisor and cute website as well - www.eclipseireland.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 merj

www.mweelreaholidays.com is a place in louisburgh Co.Mayo, where you can take your horse on holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭weeginger

I have a place in donegal if you want a holiday cottage with stables and great hacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 danielletutty

weeginger wrote: »
    I have a place in donegal if you want a holiday cottage with stables and great hacking.

Hi,

I would be very interested in this. I hope to bring my horse on holidays with me this summer and I have relative in donegal

Is this still available?

Danielle

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭mariannewims

A gang of us from my yard went to Carlingford for a weekend in February and stayed here. We didn't bring the horses with us but they did say we could stable them here if we ever wanted to. Lovely place, down quiet lanes and a quick hack to the beach.
    http://www.thecourtyardcarlingford.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 danielletutty

A gang of us from my yard went to Carlingford for a weekend in February and stayed here. We didn't bring the horses with us but they did say we could stable them here if we ever wanted to. Lovely place, down quiet lanes and a quick hack to the beach.
    http://www.thecourtyardcarlingford.com/

Thanks so much, I'll check them out. I love Carlingford too.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 amandajkeating

I have stables and outdoor arena in Co Waterford area, if anyone is interested in bringing their horse or kids pony on holidays, lots of countryside trekking and beach rides

No problem!
    We loved Carlingford and will definitely be back, hopefully with horses this time!
    That accommodation is lovely too, nice owners and their yard is fab!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

There is a yard practically on the beach at the end of the main street in Courtmacsharry Co Cork that will board your horse - you would have to arrange your own accommodation in the village but there are plenty of options within a stones throw of the yard.

There are stunning beach rides on in the area.

Also if you have companions who wouldn't be bringing their own horse they will provide hirelings and more or less let you off if you know what you are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    There is a yard practically on the beach at the end of the main street in Courtmacsharry Co Cork that will board your horse - you would have to arrange your own accommodation in the village but there are plenty of options within a stones throw of the yard.

There are stunning beach rides on in the area.

Also if you have companions who wouldn't be bringing their own horse they will provide hirelings and more or less let you off if you know what you are doing.

Oh could you pm me the details of that please we are looking for somewhere like this

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭patspost

http://renaissance-resorts.com/

This place in East Clare seems to be a sporting estate with self catering accomodation, 5 star, with livery nearby, might be worth a look.

Have no connection to it, just came upon it recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Clonshire Equestrian Centre in Limerick allow you to bring your horse, 120 acres of parkland and cross country, 2 indoors, a large outdoor, and a beautiful hacking estate just 5 minutes ride away. Family run, and very friendly!

www.clonshire.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Shelliewinter

Flower hill is awesome and so is Clonshire. The facilities in both are great. Clonshire has a bit more though and is a bit easier to get your horse into for a holiday, But if you were staying in Limerick city anyway Clonlara Equestrian Centre,
    http://clonlaraequestrian.com/asp/section.asp?s=1
    would be closer and the people there are really friendly and accommodating for anything you every need. You could bring friends without horses and join in with them or potter away and do your own thing. Lots of people who go to college in Limerick bring there horses there for college term.
    Don't know if that's any help?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

monflat wrote: »
    Oh could you pm me the details of that please we are looking for somewhere like this

Sorry, cant remember the name of the place but if you ring any hotel in the area I would imagine they would have contact details. Its right at the very end of the village on the beach.

I haven't been but just came across this place and it looks great!
    http://www.theoldforgeglamping.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭plannerscanner

I haven't been but just came across this place and it looks great!
    http://www.theoldforgeglamping.com/

Just back from a week at The Old Forge and didn't want to go home. 12km of cross country, great hacking, wonderful atmosphere. Horses loved it - we even went to the beach in Wexford one of the days - highly reccommended

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

I have been to crossogue, I didnt bring my own horse but they have the option to. The food there is amazing!

There is also a spot in connemara that looks great, I havent been myself but interested in it. I'll try and remember the name of it!

Advertisement