Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone using QR Codes? What do you think of these 20 Ideas?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

mclpro wrote: »
    We recently put together 20 ideas that could generate web marketers ROI: http://www.mcloughlin.ca/insights/20qrcodeideas

Here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWh45xU9Pgs

Nice promo video, what's the music? It's on the tip of my tongue.

Getting back to QR codes though, for the life of me I really don't get them, what can they do that a URL,or a URL shortener link can't do? From a human, and a word-of-mouth marketing point of view a URL is far superior, it can be remembered.

All QR codes seem to do is create problems, I've used an iPhone and a Samsung Galaxy to try scan the codes and never managed to actually get one, plus pretty much all devices that can scan the codes can browse the web so why not just use a URL?

Is there functionality that I'm missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

I'd agree with the point of the iphone - qrcodes are useless on them!

What the qrcodes are cool at (with symbian) is v-cards. qrcode on the back of a business cards, scan it, and it puts the details (name address mobile etc) automatically in your contacts (permission based)

BTW - qr code with proper 'branding' attached - much better. Was used by Louis Vuitton in the orient.

The other bun fight has yet to materialise - qrcodes (vcr) and tipping away but Microsoft Tags (betamax) are gaining a bit of traction and may use their vast network to push them

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

cormee wrote: »
    All QR codes seem to do is create problems, I've used an iPhone and a Samsung Galaxy to try scan the codes and never managed to actually get one
    Really? Using a desire, I don't think I've ever failed to scan one.

They can be handy if it's directly related to a device which can scan (e.g. an app url for smartphones), especially where it's a long/difficult URL (I've actually got a FF add on that generates a QR code for any page I'm on, use it numerous times per day). For general use, not so much in my experience so far.

The QR codes on the business cards is kinda handy, but you can achieve pretty much the same thing with a standard business card using google goggles (not 100% accurate, but damn close) so not exactly 'required'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mclpro

Once people see beyond the basic functionality and all smartphones support seamless scanning, there should be less issues with QR Codes.

It's so new that the marketers who are using them don't quite understand what they are doing which is why you see so many brands fail here in the early going in North America/Worldwide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mclpro

Dan Smigrod has put together a little test to see how much you know about QR Codes- http://blog.greattv.com/2011/01/quick-response-qr-code-campaign-check-list-101-great-pointers-for-a-successful-launch/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Really? Using a desire, I don't think I've ever failed to scan one.

They can be handy if it's directly related to a device which can scan (e.g. an app url for smartphones), especially where it's a long/difficult URL (I've actually got a FF add on that generates a QR code for any page I'm on, use it numerous times per day). For general use, not so much in my experience so far.

The QR codes on the business cards is kinda handy, but you can achieve pretty much the same thing with a standard business card using google goggles (not 100% accurate, but damn close) so not exactly 'required'.

Regarding URLs, yes I can see why they'd be preferrable to a long URL but truncated URLs aren't difficult to generate and easier to remember, plus I don't have to start an app to remember a URL and I can pass on a URL to my mates. The vcard I suppose is one reason to use them but again you can embed a vcard on the landing page of your truncated URL.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

cormee wrote: »
    Regarding URLs, yes I can see why they'd be preferrable to a long URL but truncated URLs aren't difficult to generate and easier to remember, plus I don't have to start an app to remember a URL and I can pass on a URL to my mates. The vcard I suppose is one reason to use them but again you can embed a vcard on the landing page of your truncated URL.

The point of them is that they bridge the gap between print and web. I never bothered with online QR codes, easier to simply click a link on your phone.

QR codes should be more widely used in print IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

I think at this stage they are a busted flush.

I was a big fan - but more of the concept than the practical application.

What I like at the moment is the type of applications from Aurasma - it sounds fanciful, its augmented reality, but its the same type of concept - image recognition.

Works nicely in print as there is little to adapt and could have massive implications for, for example, the tourist industry here (virtual tours etc).

Anyway....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

QR is perfect for a vcard

Advertisement