Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deja vu - Labour - restricted breeds

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Still no reply to my email either. I couldn't bring myself to "liking" them on bookface in order to post on their wall :p they would've been my no. 2 vote but not now. Unless they state they won't be pursuing the ban and I might reconsider.
    Either way, what a pack of scrotes!

The list of parties/people deserving my vote diminishes yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

:eek: it was Fine Gael on stag hunting.....now who are we left with. the eegits who got us here, the ones who want to take our dogs or the ones who want to go back to the dark ages :(:(

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=144018371254&topic=43080

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Many many questions were deleted off their FB page. It goes to show what kind of respect they show their voters and how dedicated they are to the truth.

Too bad there is no puke smilie on here...:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Can I nominate my own candidate and just write it at the bottom? :p

<ETA> Can't actually say what I want to about my local labour candidate cause I'll end up in court :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

EGAR wrote: »
    Many many questions were deleted off their FB page. It goes to show what kind of respect they show their voters and how dedicated they are to the truth.

Too bad there is no puke smilie on here...:mad:

It seems like this Labour party are after pure populist agendas and little else. They seem perfectly happy to dodge issues, sit on the fence and abandon some of their 'principles' in order to gain popularity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I sent Labour an email recently btw, after I saw someone taking down their posters and suspected it was the FF crew that were putting the posters up in the same area.

3 days later I got a completely generic cut and paste "Thank you for your comment" reply back.
    I responded to that asking if this email could be used for campaign/policy questions too, and got no response (I didn't even get to ask any questions...)

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Just received this email from Fine Gael
    Many thanks for your email and your interest in Fine Gael policies.

The Fine Gael party has not proposed amending the restricted breed list. The Party is keen to overhaul outdated animal welfare legislation which extends back for more than 100 years. However, the Party is cognisant that this is a very complex area and please be assured that any issues affecting dog owners will be properly debated and discussed with stakeholders in the context of any future reforms.

Yours Sincerely,
    The Fine Gael Campaign Team 2011

At least they have the decency to respond

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I just posted on their wall. I'm interested to see how long it stays there. I live in an apartment block so I doubt I'll get canvassers but I'm going to email every candidate in my constituency to see what response I get.

ETA:
    I got a response! Not much, but this is what they said:
    "Hi Orlaith, thanks for your question. We have no current plans to change the legistion (sic) of restricted breeds at this time. However, we are open to suggestions, so feel free to mail us at info@labour.ie."

Of course, this is not what they themselves have said in the past, so I feel as though I'm being fobbed off a bit.

The day before polls open and finally a response from Labour
    Anthony,

Davina in my office relayed your message. Apologies for the confusion. Labour wants to see the Control of Dogs Regulations 1998 (SI No.442/1998) properly resourced and implemented on the ground. There is no committment in the Labour Manifesto to ban any type or breed of dog

I hope this clarifies our position for you

Best Wishes

Seán

Deputy Seán Sherlock
    Labour Spokesperson on Agriculture and Food
    Cork East

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

antomagoo wrote: »
    It can't really change my mind at this stage tbh. We would need at least 3 weeks to have a proper discussion about it to confirm his statement is true, or to hear from from someone in Labour with more authority. Like Eamonn Gilmore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

I still don't trust them. There's too many questions I want answers to on their plans for the cod act. I don't want the RB list enforced, I want it abolished and recognised as the useless piece of legislation it actually is. I couldn't in good conscience vote for a party that plans to merely enforce rather than improve our current control of dogs act. Again I'm referencing the RB list more than anything else

Well they have started responding to the question of BSL on their facebook page in the last 24 hours too

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/thelabourparty/posts/205110549502532

Even the staff in DTI are calling for people to back Labour now that they have said the will not introduce BSL as they dont think its a solution to the problem of bad dog ownership. That and they have also stated they will refuse to support any attempt to overturn the ban on stag hunting.

Still on the fence here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

This is very odd. So late in the day (last minute), and they suddenly actually start replying to these points, instead of deleting them? And claim their answer on it has been clear? Clear?? Lol!

Does not sit right with me, if your answer was clear and this was your policy, you'd answer people on it and actually make it clear, instead of deleting posts and ignoring emails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

Was going to vote labour, but i dunno now; they may have lost my vote. No chance i want my Staffie paying for the mistakes of others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I havent a clue who to vote for, labour has been out for me since I heard this crap about RB. They never replied to my posts on facebook or to an email I sent them. I email a loads of labour guys in my area and only one answered me. No faith in any of them.

Thinking of not voting at this stage.

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Thinking of not voting at this stage.

That won't achieve anything, turn up, draw a big giant X through the whole list of names and an angry face on the bottom, if more people did that the parties would have to seriously re-examine their whole policies.

Well they have started responding to the question of BSL on their facebook page in the last 24 hours too

There is a ban on all parties from using the media today so they are trying to win the last few votes via e-mail and facebook ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

There is no more passionate animal lover here than me & I will be voting Labour. I do not believe that they would instigate a ban. The only circumstances would be if there were a series of "attacks" as there were in the UK before their ban. If this happened any party would introduce a ban. In any event it would not necessarily be retrospective - the PR could be horrendous.

I would hate to see FG reintroduce Stag Hunting & a coalition with Labour would stop them. The Sunday Times suggested that FG must of received a serious incentive to bring Stag hunting back & I agree with them. I have a genuine fear of any party getting an overall majority. Enda with total, absolute power is a scary prospect as is a FG coalition with a bunch of independents. Also a coalition with Labour gives us two bites at the Cherry when it comes to lobbying for an Animal Welfare Bill.

Now here's a thought, did Enda agree to Stag hunting to get the dosh knowing that Labour would oppose it ?.

That won't achieve anything, turn up, draw a big giant X through the whole list of names and an angry face on the bottom, if more people did that the parties would have to seriously re-examine their whole policies.

Was thinking of doing that but have to drive 2 hours for that privilege.

Labour voted AGAINST a ban on staghunting last year.

• Advertisement

EGAR wrote: »
    Labour voted AGAINST a ban on staghunting last year.

Yep Nuala Donlon of the Greens challenged Gilmore on this during a radio phone in. He said that they voted purely to oppose FF. He also said & repeated that they would oppose the reintroduction of Stag Hunting. He added that the ban was existing law that had been voted in by a majority & that he would not overturn it.

Haha, what a hypocrisy. If FG had said they would uphold the ban then Labour would lift it to garner votes. Turn and Coats comes to mind and pretty low, even for an Irish political party.

Tens of thousands would have to do it otherwise it would make no difference. It just becomes a spoilt vote. I wonder if there is a minimum vote required to make an election valid ?.

I would never suggest that any of the parties are any good. To me it's about damage limitation & not wasting a vote on a party that hasn't got a chance of being in power.

Discodog wrote: »
    Yep Nuala Donlon of the Greens challenged Gilmore on this during a radio phone in. He said that they voted purely to oppose FF. He also said & repeated that they would oppose the reintroduction of Stag Hunting. He added that the ban was existing law that had been voted in by a majority & that he would not overturn it.
    Well IMO, if they're willing to vote against a stag hunting ban on that kind of flimsy PR basis, then they're equally likely to vote with FG to overturn the ban if a big enough carrot is dangled in front of them.
    They clearly don't consider it an important issue if they're willing to use it for a political game.

Does anyone want to share who they plan on voting for?

seamus wrote: »
    Well IMO, if they're willing to vote against a stag hunting ban on that kind of flimsy PR basis, then they're equally likely to vote with FG to overturn the ban if a big enough carrot is dangled in front of them.
    They clearly don't consider it an important issue if they're willing to use it for a political game.

Oh I agree. Every party breaks manifesto pledges. Gilmore said that he would not overturn the ban twice, once on RTE & on Newstalk. None of the parties can be trusted with animal welfare - even the Greens. We can only vote based on our opinion of what they say & then fight animal issues as they occur.

I'm fairly sure our local Green candidate is going to get my vote (I've been bouncing around for a while on what to do). The greens are really the only party that I can look at their entire policy document and not recoil in horror at any of their proposals. I don't necessarily agree with them all, but there's nothing there that I dislike strongly enough to make me not vote for them.

I already know that Labour and FG are going to run away with it in my constituency so although my vote won't affect the outcome in my area, at least I can say that "I didn't vote for them" when the FG/Lab coalition does something stupid. :D

I should be voting Green but my experiences & their utter cowardice over the Dog Breeding Bill prevent me. Having met some of their "senior team" I was left with an impression of total incompetence. I also wonder just how much money could of been saved if they had forced an election much earlier. They had a position of trust as FF regulators but their lust for power blew it.

We have a Stag Hunting ban that may be overturned & a Dog Breeding Bill that was never signed into law. Even, if a new government sign it, it excludes Greyhounds & will be totally ineffectual in preventing puppy farming.

I might have had a candidate worth voting for if the boundries hadn't been changed which puts me in a different constituancy now, it appears only 1 candidate is even aware that I am in their constituancy. I'll be voting on the individual not the Party as he is the only one which would have any value at all, it's just unfortunate that he's Fianna Fail :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Does anyone want to share who they plan on voting for?

I voted Green. I've done so as long as I've had a vote and I'm not going to stop now just to punish them for having the bad judgement to go into government with Fianna Fail.

As for putting an X through your entire vote - total waste of time. It'll just go into the spoiled vote pile, and they don't differentiate between those that were spoiled deliberately and those that were spoiled by accident, which are surprisingly numerous. You're not making any kind of statement by doing that.

Advertisement