Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

calling/txting the uk

Options
  • 09-02-2011 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

girlfriend now works and lives in the uk, so am wondering what's the best rates i can get for txting and calling? we are both O2. what about Maxroam?, can get txts there for 13c, would it be better to get a phone/sim over there and have some kind of roaming package for me to use here? currently use a workphone that is 21c a txt to uk but only 3c internally! cant change it tho! cheers D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

I would say 3 are your best bet. When roaming on 3 UK your girlfriend will be charged as if she is at home and obviously you will be charged as if sending to an Irish number.

The other alternative would be apps on Smartphones. Apps like Whatsapp send text/MMS/Location free of charge to Nokia/BB/Android/iOS smartphones, just using data from your bundles. Viber is available for iPhone and will soon be on Android. BBM on a blackberry would also be free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

skype skype skype

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

dexty wrote: »
    girlfriend now works and lives in the uk, so am wondering what's the best rates i can get for txting and calling? we are both O2. what about Maxroam?, can get txts there for 13c, would it be better to get a phone/sim over there and have some kind of roaming package for me to use here? currently use a workphone that is 21c a txt to uk but only 3c internally! cant change it tho! cheers D
    if you both have smartphones dl whatapps
    free texts,and i think mms. over wifi or thru your data allowance:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

bd250110 wrote: »
    I would say 3 are your best bet. When roaming on 3 UK your girlfriend will be charged as if she is at home and obviously you will be charged as if sending to an Irish number.

The other alternative would be apps on Smartphones. Apps like Whatsapp send text/MMS/Location free of charge to Nokia/BB/Android/iOS smartphones, just using data from your bundles. Viber is available for iPhone and will soon be on Android. BBM on a blackberry would also be free.
    my bad you beat me to it,didnt read thru the thread.
    props:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I use the Jelly SMS app on the IPhone.

It sends texts from your web account via an app.

Also look at VOIPbuster.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭number_1

The best option is to buy two cheap UK phones (I saw one in a Carphone Warehouse for £1!). You each keep 1 Irish phone and 1 UK phone.

When you want to text her, you text from your Irish phone to her Irish phone. When she wants to text you, she texts from her UK phone to your UK phone.

This works on the principle that it is free to receive a text when you are roaming. This way both of you just pay domestic text rates, and if you're on a plan with unlimited texts then you can text each other all day for no extra cost! The only drawback is that you need to have 2 phones, but in the grand scheme of things it's not a major drawback.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dexty

many thanks everyone 4 the replys, all great. like the last idea of gettin a irish and english phone each, sounds like it cud work!
    bought some skype credit 2 and calls to her landline are less than 2 cents a minute however 22 cent per min to the mobile, so need to look at that! Trying to get an app 4 my palm pre that will let me use skype from my phone, trying out IM+ talk, it's web based tho and needs at least 3G, is there an an app 4 the palm pre for skype yet that i cant fid?

cheers 4 all,
    D

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dexty

So if i bought a 39 euro pre pay O2 phone here and she took it to the uk with 20 quid credit on it, i cud sms it costing me 3 cent a txt, but would it eat into the 20 quid call credit everytime it received a txt from me as it's roaming? or when roaming, is it free to receive an O2 txt on a prepay O2 phone?? cheers, D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

would 2 flexi fix 15's work? Free calls & Texts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

do the free text work when roaming?

Advertisement