Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sufjan Stevens - Olympia - May 17th/18th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,884 ✭✭✭sporina

hmm - might have a word in one of the security persons ear

• Registered Users Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Just buy a standing ticket for the second date.

Win-Win.

I've decided I'm definitely going seeing him again at Primavera. Hadn't intended on doing so as you have deal with limited tickets/queueing etc but it should be worth it.

I've been listening to Age of Adz non-stop since Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭big_show

What time are doors and What time is he on stage?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭AhrSkidar

MCD on Twitter are saying doors at 7pm, DM Stith at 8pm and Sufjan at 8.45pm.

I'd better head for the bus so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,884 ✭✭✭sporina

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Just buy a standing ticket for the second date.

Win-Win.

I've decided I'm definitely going seeing him again at Primavera. Hadn't intended on doing so as you have deal with limited tickets/queueing etc but it should be worth it.

I've been listening to Age of Adz non-stop since Thursday.

i am only going to see him tomorrow night..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭iheartthailand

Mod edit: No ticket Sales
    adverts.ie / toutless.com

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Wildlife Actor

Can somepone post what time he gets on stage tonight... Running it fine tomorrow,...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Can somepone post what time he gets on stage tonight... Running it fine tomorrow,...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72272077&postcount=65

• Registered Users Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

You wouldn't want to be following nialler9 on twitter if you were interested in avoiding all talk of the show before tomorrow. Giving a visual commentary the past 2 hours.

No need for it.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    You wouldn't want to be following nialler9 on twitter if you were interested in avoiding all talk of the show before tomorrow. Giving a visual commentary the past 2 hours.

No need for it.

He spends so much time on his phone during gigs how does he get a chance to watch them?

Put the phone away and just enjoy being there for feck's sake Nialler.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

got myself a standing ticket for 30 quid!!! Outstanding is all i can say, had to leave before the end as i had no idea what was going on with my buses. id be tempted to go again tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Weepsie wrote: »
    id be tempted to go again tomorrow

Ditto.

Don't want to give anything away about the show for people going tomorrow night, so I'll hold off til then, but suffice to say, you're gonna have a great time.

Also, was anyone else surprised to learn that it's pronounced "Sooofjan"?

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

Again not to ruin anything but impossible soul is the single greatest performance of a song I have ever seen. Sublime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Popsicle

You are in for a treat tonight!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Wildlife Actor

Did he arrive on stage at 8.45pm? Please say no!

Did he arrive on stage at 8.45pm? Please say no!

According to Nialler9's minute by minute Sujan update twitter he went on roughly at 8.45 alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

8:50 latest iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

was it really 2 and a half hours? people must have been scrambelling like mad for buses and trains home! (damn no nitelinks!)

was it really 2 and a half hours? people must have been scrambelling like mad for buses and trains home! (damn no nitelinks!)

It was just over 2 hours. Onstage around 8.50pm and finished just after 11pm.

And it was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Fantastical even. Most psychedelic show I've ever seen. As he put it himself "a cosmic pageant"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Anyone else not think it was a bit of self-indulgent w*nk at times?

Strip away the confetti, tickertape, the tinsil spaceman outfit, neon suits and the music wasn't all that great I thought.

Great as a show... but I was there to hear the music.

Nearly left after the second last song, but glad I stayed on for the last two - just about made it worthwhile.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hmm very tempted to go now (was initially put off by the price and the new album) if it's as impressive as y'all say.

*frantically searches for tickets*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

leakyboots wrote: »
    Anyone else not think it was a bit of self-indulgent w*nk at times?

Strip away the confetti, tickertape, the tinsil spaceman outfit, neon suits and the music wasn't all that great I thought.

Great as a show... but I was there to hear the music.

Nearly left after the second last song, but glad I stayed on for the last two - just about made it worthwhile.

yes i agree with you but i still really enjoyed it. I didnt know any of the songs he played bar the encore ones (and seven swans)! I respect the fact he didnt do the older songs though even though thats what i wanted to hear! It was clearly a themed show he never promised to play your "favourites"
    to be a jerk i could say if you wanted to just hear "the songs" then just put on his albums.
    I dont think id enjoy listening to the songs he played outside the show

self-indulgent w*nkfest? yes
    great show anyway? yes

• Registered Users Posts: 21 fds

It was a fantastic show, everything I was expecting and so much more. the crowd up the front with me though seemed a bit dead. All acted a bit too cool for school really - maybe they were all expecting a nice quite instrumental gig.

Anyway, I am posting some ipod-recorded video on youtube from last night if you want to see it (second row from the front in the "pit")

http://www.youtube.com/user/msfblog

there are some more videos to go up but they are really taking their time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

i liked how everyone was laughing at sufjans between song rambling ie about the mind and body etc etc im not sure sufjan was in on the joke though!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Reaganomical

Thought it was an absolutely fantastic gig.

It was pretty clear from the start of the tour that it was gonna be the last two albums that he was playing. As he said himself last night, this is where his motivation is at the moment and that the folk music no longer appeals to him.

The live version of Impossible Soul was unreal.

Looking forward to seeing him again next week in Primavera.

adamski8 wrote: »
    i liked how everyone was laughing at sufjans between song rambling ie about the mind and body etc etc im not sure sufjan was in on the joke though!

I thought he was in on the joke. At the very least, if he is serious about all that stuff, then I think he does know that it sounds completely daft.

I thought some of the stuff was laugh out loud funny (e.g. the two horses on Levi's Jeans).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

just back from tonight's show. thought it was good. music was brilliant, the show was good, but if he shut the f**k up most of the time it would've been great.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

Went again tonight and again it was fantastic. Better than last night in fact as I was right at the front of qthe pit and I didn't have to worry about my 2 ft tall girlfriend not being able to see.

Again, impossible soul was amazing. Highlight of both nights.

The face masks if the queen and prince Harry that they had on his plinth and speakers made me laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Great show from Sufjan, bar the ramblng art history lesson he gave us in the middle.

He's got quite an opinion on himself , and I'm paraphrasing himself here, as a craftsman, bring us on a sonic adventure in musical experiment.

I'm disappointed he did not include Jacksonville in the encore, I think he might have hung up his banjo for good....

Advertisement