Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sufjan Stevens - Olympia - May 17th/18th

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Beautiful. Hadn't heard the newest album so I was a bit shocked at first. Fun though.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

One of the best shows I've seen. The music meandered at times but I enjoyed his personality and they looked like they had a blast and got a great reception! If only people'd not talk through half the songs I'd have no complaints!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

sad i missed this but prima next week should help some...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

dan185 wrote: »
    I didn't have to worry about my 2 ft tall girlfriend

Harsh on your gf !!

Amazing amazing gig last night, I'm still coming to terms with it. Loved the meandering speech, the music, the tongue-in-cheekiness, the stage production. Great to see performers viewing the tour as an event rather than just an "oh yeah let's play the album live" kinda deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

I'm glad I hadn't read too much about this gig before going - it really was an experience and the most unusual show I've attended at in the Olympia in some time. The whole band were really into it - those girl dancers/singers made the show and I hadn't seen balcony climbing action since AF!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,884 ✭✭✭sporina

OMG - i neraly died last night - not only was the gig amazing but I met Sufjan himself in Brogans before the gig, then the nice security staff in the Olympia let me into the standing area even though I had a ticket for the circle!!!

Thoughts and video later...

I will live through the imprint of this gig for hours more, if not a few days. I woke up with impossible soul in my head this morning..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Good to see performers with a sense of fun. Very enjoyable gig.

A nice security guy let myself and my girlfriend into the front section without wristbands too.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

It was possibly one of the greatest gigs I've ever been too!!! I love the new album but i think it translates even better in the live show, the thought and effort having gone into the show was immense and puts many performers to shame. Enjoyed the talking in between too, good to get a bit of understanding behind the music and appreciate some of the difficult times he's been through in the past couple of years, he was humble and humourous and not reverential at all (of course he was in on the joke!). For those who were disappointed at a lack of old stuff and who hadn't heard the new album, what did you expect from the 'Age of Adz' tour? - Maybe keep an eye out for Coldplay tickets next time they're in town!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

S.M.B. wrote: »
    You wouldn't want to be following nialler9 on twitter

correct

kellso81 wrote: »
    It was possibly one of the greatest gigs I've ever been too!!! I love the new album but i think it translates even better in the live show, the thought and effort having gone into the show was immense and puts many performers to shame. Enjoyed the talking in between too, good to get a bit of understanding behind the music and appreciate some of the difficult times he's been through in the past couple of years, he was humble and humourous and not reverential at all (of course he was in on the joke!). For those who were disappointed at a lack of old stuff and who hadn't heard the new album, what did you expect from the 'Age of Adz' tour? - Maybe keep an eye out for Coldplay tickets next time they're in town!

FFS, people have every right to voice their opinion, you liked it others didn't. Also Suf is quite the coldplay fan...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

No Get Real, Get Right on the first night? Wouldn't be happy with that.

Not sure he's really "In on the joke" though. I think he's quite serious about everything he says/does but fully understands that others might think otherwise.

Not sure he's really "In on the joke" though. I think he's quite serious about everything he says/does but fully understands that others might think otherwise.

I'd be well pissed off at that.

I dunno - I think he's tongue in cheek a lot of the time. He referred to his show as a capitalist pop extravaganza at the start last night.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Of course he's in on it. The whole thing is a big ball of irony. Had a blast

man, my head is still buzzing from last night.
    The show was amazing.
    I cannot get impossible soul out of my head. And words are indeed futile here.

here is a clip..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbFH3DKYn8Y

I dunno - I think he's tongue in cheek a lot of the time. He referred to his show as a capitalist pop extravaganza at the start last night.
    Tongue in cheek maybe but I see it more as being an over-the-top theatrical look into his mindset rather than a "big ball of irony".

And if it is laced with irony I find it very hard to determine where the seriousness ends and the irony begins. There's very much a blurring of the lines imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Placid_Casual

He definitely played it on Tuesday, i'm pretty sure right after the whole spiel about Royal Robertson. Great show anyway, though I thought it was merely very good up to Impossible Soul from where it really took off. I also enjoyed the between song ramblings. I'm pretty sure he's in on the joke - it's perfectly possible to be serious about something while having a sense of humour about it. Some of the stuff was too obviously funny not to be intentional.

Only gripe was only two songs in the encore. He's been playing 3 for most of the tour and I was hoping to hear Casimir Pulaski Day or John Wayne Gacy Jnr. Time constraints I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

He definitely played it on Tuesday, i'm pretty sure right after the whole spiel about Royal Robertson. Great show anyway, though I thought it was merely very good up to Impossible Soul from where it really took off. I also enjoyed the between song ramblings. I'm pretty sure he's in on the joke - it's perfectly possible to be serious about something while having a sense of humour about it. Some of the stuff was too obviously funny not to be intentional.

Only gripe was only two songs in the encore. He's been playing 3 for most of the tour and I was hoping to hear Casimir Pulaski Day or John Wayne Gacy Jnr. Time constraints I guess.
    is there an 11 curfew in the olympia? He only came back on for the encore at about 5 to 11 on Tuesday, and seemed to be rushing 'concerning the ufo....' a bit.

Then on Wednesday he was finished up everything, including encore, by 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭glanman

He played it at the very start on the weds, 2nd song iirc

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

glanman wrote: »
    He played it at the very start on the weds, 2nd song iirc

It was played during the encore

• Advertisement

Why didn't it just start earlier? We got a full 2 and a half hour set in London. He came on at 8.30 on the dot and played until 11.00. Got the 3 song encore in then.

dan185 wrote: »
    is there an 11 curfew in the olympia? He only came back on for the encore at about 5 to 11 on Tuesday, and seemed to be rushing 'concerning the ufo....' a bit.

Then on Wednesday he was finished up everything, including encore, by 11.

He was on 10 minutes earlier on Wednesday. Took to the stage about 8.35 and finished up just before 11 I think so nearly the same length set.

Tongue in cheek maybe but I see it more as being an over-the-top theatrical look into his mindset rather than a "big ball of irony".

Oh yeah, I didn't mean tongue in cheek as him being ironic. I just meant he was having a lot of fun with it and wasn't taking himself really seriously.

i think this album and performance shows us a more mature Sufjan.. like he has realised that his strengths can also be a limitation to his creative ability. As in, he acknowledges that he is quite structured and methodical in his thinking and doing, but by doing so, he is also missing out on creativity and perhaps fun. But now he has managed to balance the two. So I do not think that he is being ironic or anything. I think what you see is what you get - a merge of fine format with the ability to let go and use your imagination and most of all, have fun. His use of Royals work as a metaphor is brilliant, allowing him freedom to express himself as well as his imagination.

I saying that, I do not think that he looked so comfortable dancing on stage. But musically and as a visual artist he has certainly let himself go. And I would say he is pretty chuffed with himself. There is a sense of forgiveness about it all.

Advertisement