Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vmware vsphere 4.1 install configure exam

Options
  • 09-02-2011 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

I'm looking for some advice. I recently completed teh above course through work. I work as a system admin but not in a virtualized environment( just basically chanced my arm in work and they agreed to send me on it) I have done MS courses windows 2003 and SQL courses before but have to say the VMware was by far the most complex and hard.

I was planning on doing the exam but the instructor did alot of scare mongering in relation to the exam ,and that has really put me off doing it, plus therese no vmware on the platform i work on to practice.

has anyone done this exam and cane you tell me how hard it is and if you used braindumps to study ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I know you have to do a training class,3-5 days that counts for VCP exam.
    Without the class,no exam.The fee for class is around 2k.

the reason why they push for class is because,compared to other certs,you need exposure to the OS in order to get exam and real world exposure.

braindumps...not sure i know of !

goodluck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

rolion wrote: »
    I know you have to do a training class,3-5 days that counts for VCP exam.
    Without the class,no exam.The fee for class is around 2k.

the reason why they push for class is because,compared to other certs,you need exposure to the OS in order to get exam and real world exposure.

braindumps...not sure i know of !

goodluck

That's not correct. You can sit and (hopefully) pass the exam, there is no prerequisite to do the official course for that.

You will only be awarded the VCP certification if you have passed the exam and have attended one of the official VMware courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭swampgas

You can download a free trial version of ESX and vCenter from VMware, IIRC you can run in eval mode for 60 days. If you have a spare server where you can install it, you can play around with it to consolidate your training.

Install ESX or ESXi on a server, and install VC as a VM on the same server.
    Create a linux VM to act as an NFS / iSCSI server and you can have some fake datastores to play with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Make sure the server meets the hardware requirements since ESX(i) 4.x is pretty selective. Alternatively you can run ESX(i) inside VMware Workstation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

The exam is hard. Definitely

I would suggest you buy VMWare Workstation.

You can install ESXi inside VMWare Workstation, you will need two of them and an NFS datastore to practice vMotion.

You need to know about FC SANs as well.
    Braindumps are pointless, if you ever need to work with VMWare you will be outed in minutes. Its a specific type of system. You need to understand it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭swampgas

Best thing you could do would be to convince your boss to do a pilot project with some VMware servers. Maybe a 2-node HA cluster for some critical apps. This would require vCenter, some ESX or ESXi servers, and some shared storage. After all, you have had the training - maybe they should get some return on their investment :-)

If you get the opportunity to work with VC and ESX for a while the VCP exam gets a lot easier.

Advertisement