Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revit '09....'10......'11?

Options
  • 09-02-2011 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Does anyone have experience on these versions of Revit?

I have a revit '09 and am thinking of upgrading to '11. The only thing is that it's VERY expensive. Is there much difference between these versions?

From what I have read, the new 'ribbon' interface is the main thing?

The other issue I have is that I need to go for lessons as I haven't had much experience with any of the releases. So, if I was to get lessons on '11 would it be a waste of time if I was to go back to '09?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

You can download a 30day trial from the autodesk site, should give you a nice intro to evaluate what you think you need to do.

I doubt you would need additional training to use 10/11 version of revit though, there's more to them but you already have the 09 background to help you with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭armchairninja

Be careful with this though, as there is no compatibility between versions. Unlike AutoCAD where you can downsave a DWG, or open an ACAD 2005 file on 2008.

Revit doesn't provide this feature. If you create a model in 2009, you wont be able to open it in a later version and you wont be able to downsave it for an older version, so if you have many jobs done in revit, it might be safer not to bother upgrading, as there really is very little different between them from what I can see...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,250 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Be careful with this though, as there is no compatibility between versions. Unlike AutoCAD where you can downsave a DWG, or open an ACAD 2005 file on 2008.

Revit doesn't provide this feature. If you create a model in 2009, you wont be able to open it in a later version and you wont be able to downsave it for an older version, so if you have many jobs done in revit, it might be safer not to bother upgrading, as there really is very little different between them from what I can see...
    I'd be very surprised if Revit couldn't open models made in previous versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭armchairninja

Mellor wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if Revit couldn't open models made in previous versions.

I wouldn't, I've tried it, and it doesn't work...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,250 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Well i haven't used the new one, so like i said surprised. Seams terrible from AutoDesk's point of view.
    Did you try to import rather than open. That could potentially convert it to a modern format it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement