Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Let there be light! (Attic to Game Room Conversion Status)

• 09-02-2011 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

Ok I'll throw a few snaps up the general progress of this long standing project. I'm almost there, a bit more woodwork to do, get some carpet & a few shelves etc.

Back near when it all began. The white sheeting is a breathable membrane, so the rafters don't rot. This is rolled into place, preferably in one long piece so there's no gaps. Once it's in place & tacked down, the insulation can be rolled in (which is a filthy, messy & highly irritating process due to the itchy effect).

1y4805.jpg

Velux windo installed (not by me, professional install)

m79z15.jpg

Both sides now fully membraned & insulated from top to bottom

1pb9lc.jpg

Closer look, you have to pck that stuff in tight. But the difference is amazing.

2agrka8.jpg

This is where you start to see things coming together, the wonders of plasterboard. My original plan was to plasterboard the whole place, and use plaster/filler to get an even surface. That changed later on however.

k1oys6.jpg

Plasterboard all the way, there's now three layers of protection at this point (membrane, insulation, & plasterboard).

otnqsx.jpg

I'm missing a few pics due to a memory card failure :mad: But the whole attic is done in this manner, from top to bottom. The next problem was the water tank. Moving it was out of the question, so I chose to build a small structure around it, while leaving access to it through a door (for maintainence & storage.

209n312.jpg

2ii8qco.jpg

1ihny8.jpg

It's worth noting I had the floor in place a few years before this, so it was one headache I didn't have to contend with. I also redid the wiring in the attic, allowing for more liveable lighting choices (3 different light circuits available, depending on the need).

Also, you can't see it here (it's one of the lost pictures) but you see where the vertical wall I put in place meets the floor? Well the that's split into three sections that you can't see in the pic. The middle part is hinged, & folds out allowing for access/storage behind the new wall. Ideal for suitcases etc, as it's not high enough in that area to be able to stand etc.

15gq8gz.jpg

That comparison shot. This is as far as I'm currently at. I dropped the plaster/filler idea when I seen Ciderman's attic. This tongue & groove wooden paneling is so much better, and the finish is very very impressive. You simply cut to lenght, apply bonding adhesive to the back of it, clip it into the previous one and tap it home. I use small nails every few boards, just for a bit of added strenght.

4zt56t.jpg

The water tank is now nicely hidden away, and the door I made is closed in this pic (which it will be 99% of the time anyway). I'll put the wood on this section last & that should finish it.

1zz0zv8.jpg

2j300p2.jpg

So far so good.

ojfm2x.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

:eek: :eek:

That's mighty impressive looking dude! Awesome. Looks like a proper job of it, no half assed measures. The panelling and lighting looks lovely. Nice one on the water tank room too. Now I know where to go if I need my attic done! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The lighting and the wood look brilliant together. Nice work :) can't wait to see that when it's finished with consoles and all set up.

Still amazed you managed to get that TV up there without the use of a crane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Andrew76 wrote: »
    :eek: :eek:

That's mighty impressive looking dude! Awesome. Looks like a proper job of it, no half assed measures. The panelling and lighting looks lovely. Nice one on the water tank room too. Now I know where to go if I need my attic done! :pac:

He he he, oh you :o

Ah it was trying at best man, believe me. I'm on the home straight now, the insulation was hell on earth at times. Especially when doing near the bottom of the apex, you have to lie down on your back & work overhead. All the while with gloves on to protect your hands, goggles on to stop all kinds of cr@p falling into your eyes (which fog up after 10 seconds :mad:), your mouth full of tacs because you need both hands to roll & hold the insulation in, & a hammer balancing on your chest :pac:

It needs to be done though, if you've any intention of playing a game without a duffle jacket on :D

o1s1n wrote: »
    The lighting and the wood look brilliant together. Nice work :) can't wait to see that when it's finished with consoles and all set up.

Still amazed you managed to get that TV up there without the use of a crane.

Actually my plan is to mount maybe a 26" widescreen lcd on the chimney breast wall behind the Sony. I'll mount it up high, & on a bracket that angles the tv down towards the ground. I'm wondering if the Sony will fit under it, if not then it's too big :o I'll address that at a leter time though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Looking sweet I'm feeling jealous, must get my game room underway as I have a large room in my house that I never even go into and the missus said I should turn it into a games room but I'm incredibly lazy:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

You store all your toilet paper in the attic?

What if you run out while you're on the job?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Is the kitten soft there to clean up after any nerdgasms that visitors might have? Looking really good, nice little den to retreat into :)

DinoRex wrote: »
    You store all your toilet paper in the attic?

What if you run out while you're on the job?

Forward planning, unlike you lot when

asteroid-hits-earth-2.jpg

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Is the kitten soft there to clean up after any nerdgasms that visitors might have? Looking really good, nice little den to retreat into :)

Not really, two bedroom houses tend not to have a lot of storage facilities :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

never mind that it's gonna be a gamesroom ... fair play to ya for doing it by yourself!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

That is brilliant !! I know what you mean by the insulation, I've done all that in my attic, and i didn't go through the plasterboard yet.
    The itchiness gets everywhere and i mean everywhere. Well worth spending a few bob on getting a sealed suit !!

Id say your house downstairs is even warmer because if it all,

I will have to move some struts because it is shaped like this :
    73591.jpg

But again great job, looking forward to the updates, the more the merrier.

eddhorse wrote: »
    That is brilliant !! I know what you mean by the insulation, I've done all that in my attic, and i didn't go through the plasterboard yet.
    The itchiness gets everywhere and i mean everywhere. Well worth spending a few bob on getting a sealed suit !!

Id say your house downstairs is even warmer because if it all,

73591.jpg

But again great job, looking forward to the updates, the more the merrier.

Yay, another soul that bears the burden of that dreaded stuff :p It remains in all clothes throughout many many wash cycles too, so use old clothes & bin them when done. I found this out the hard way one day when I threw on a jumper I had on while doing the insulation, only to be tortured for four hours with my arms being eaten alive as the stuff survived in the sleeves somehow.

I only had to remove two beams (in the first pic you'll see the one that has the goggles hanging on it, & then the one behind it with the socket on it). I did consult a roofer though prior to this to make sure they wern't load-bearing struts. Once I got the all clear I cut those bad boys out. The difference was unreal. It was no longer like the Krypton Factor getting from one end to the next. It also meant the chimney breast wall was free for a tv bracket at whatever stage.

Actually the plasterboard is a fairly enjoyable stage. You get to cover large areas with minimal effort & it all comes together and takes shape with every piece you hang. As above, once that itchy stuff is done, the rest is enjoyable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have to say, it looks like you have kinda the headroom I have in my attic, looks great, nice to see the wood panelling idea has worked out for you too.
    If I might suggest find some good spots for the surround speakers and the sub!
    And plenty of custom storage for the consoles/games!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have to say, it looks like you have kinda the headroom I have in my attic, looks great, nice to see the wood panelling idea has worked out for you too.
    If I might suggest find some good spots for the surround speakers and the sub!
    And plenty of custom storage for the consoles/games!

I've headroom in the middle only :( Kinda of a sitting down/lying down place though I reckon ;):p

I have good spots for 5.1 picked out, nice thinking though :) Custom storage may be a problem, I'll have to see how I set up the tv's etc why options are open to me.

Actually another idear I had was to leave a little hole in the panelling around the water tank, and fit a projector in there with the lens just sticking out. It lines up perfectly with the chimney breast wall. Argh, dunno, have to finish the damn thing first :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

A HD capable projector if you can stretch to it, it's solve the need for a large flatscreen up there, also make sure you blinds on the velux are good enough as, due to the orientation of my house, the sun comes streaming through my velux's and you can't see much even on the Sony crt! Imagine it bleaching out a projection screen!

EnterNow wrote: »
    Yay, another soul that bears the burden of that dreaded stuff :p It remains in all clothes throughout many many wash cycles too, so use old clothes & bin them when done. I found this out the hard way one day when I threw on a jumper I had on while doing the insulation, only to be tortured for four hours with my arms being eaten alive as the stuff survived in the sleeves somehow.

Indeed, any clothes that goes into attic gets burned, I did the exact same as you. Wash the jumper and then put it on a month down the line...AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH.

Might as well go for a 3D HD projector if you win the lotto

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Actually another idear I had was to leave a little hole in the panelling around the water tank, and fit a projector in there with the lens just sticking out. It lines up perfectly with the chimney breast wall. Argh, dunno, have to finish the damn thing first :pac:

Thats a great idea! Id love to do that, you could stick a framed poster up on the wall to cover the hole when not in use! i have a huge attic but there are beams all over the place in it.

keithgeo wrote: »
    Thats a great idea! Id love to do that, you could stick a framed poster up on the wall to cover the hole when not in use! i have a huge attic but there are beams all over the place in it.

You'll prob find a lot of those beams were only contrsuction aids & can be safely removed. The big load bearing ones obviously have to stay, but it might be worth consulting with someone who can identify such things :)

The projector idea is growing on me, it will save the need for a 16:9 lcd indeed. All movies/tv & newer gen games can go through it, while the Sony is there for the older stuff.

You'll prob find a lot of those beams were only contrsuction aids & can be safely removed. The big load bearing ones obviously have to stay, but it might be worth consulting with someone who can identify such things :)

Actually all the beams are doing something in the attic some are spreading the load of the floor as attic floor tend to be a lot less meaty then those of a standard house, also the crossmembers and other stuff is only necessary for times of heavy load on the roof such as snow and if anyone is removing and members then it's a safe bet to get larger mullions or a steel beam but then you get into the situation of how to spread a greater load across a smaller patch which can result in settling of walls etc.. So to summarise when making any adjustments to an attic a structural engineer is the only way to go do not consult a builder on this subject as they haven't a clue about the building regulations and load forces etc.

pdbhp wrote: »
    Actually all the beams are doing something in the attic some are spreading the load of the floor as attic floor tend to be a lot less meaty then those of a standard house, also the crossmembers and other stuff is only necessary for times of heavy load on the roof such as snow and if anyone is removing and members then it's a safe bet to get larger mullions or a steel beam but then you get into the situation of how to spread a greater load across a smaller patch which can result in settling of walls etc.. So to summarise when making any adjustments to an attic a structural engineer is the only way to go do not consult a builder on this subject as they haven't a clue about the building regulations and load forces etc.

Well I had a roofer look over mine before doing it, and his exact thoughts were those uprights (that were still in place at the time) could only have served as a construction aid. He checked them for load bearing & floor integrity as you mentioned and they were doing nowt. That's not to say every house is the same, but in my particular type of house & I was free to remove them. I did it one at a time over a few days to be absoloutely sure. With both gone, the roof had no issues with the heaviest snowfall we've seen in decades so I'm fully happy with my choice.

It is wise to consule someone, just no someone who's gonna charge more for looking than what it would cost to actually do the job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Man that is truely awesome.

Can't wait to see the finished product

Tallon wrote: »
    Man that is truely awesome.

Can't wait to see the finished product

High praise indeed, cheers dude.

Well I had a roofer look over mine before doing it, and his exact thoughts were those uprights (that were still in place at the time) could only have served as a construction aid. He checked them for load bearing & floor integrity as you mentioned and they were doing nowt. That's not to say every house is the same, but in my particular type of house & I was free to remove them. I did it one at a time over a few days to be absoloutely sure. With both gone, the roof had no issues with the heaviest snowfall we've seen in decades so I'm fully happy with my choice.

The members you speak of actually hold the roof on in high winds they spread the upward load on the roof structure.
    Having seen some of the houses around your way I'd say you'll be ok as most seem to be done in a similar fashion. The floor may also need strenghtening as most floor members are inadequate for high loads and people walking etc. If you want I could have a quick look over it just to make sure the floor is exceptable

pdbhp wrote: »
    The members you speak of actually hold the roof on in high winds they spread the upward load on the roof structure.
    Having seen some of the houses around your way I'd say you'll be ok as most seem to be done in a similar fashion. The floor may also need strenghtening as most floor members are inadequate for high loads and people walking etc. If you want I could have a quick look over it just to make sure the floor is exceptable

Yeah that would be great, cheers dude. By all accounts, the combined weight of the plasterboard (which weighs a ton) and the wood panelling (very light) should be enough to counter the missing struts though? (I have left two of them in place though also).

Also, you see the load bearers along the side? These run through the whole lenght of the attic & into the concrete walls (possible into next door too). The rafters are fixed to these also, which prevents them from moving up & down. But yep, if your volunteering a gander your more than welcome :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sketcher 29

brilliant idea on the water tank

Yeah that would be great, cheers dude. By all accounts, the combined weight of the plasterboard (which weighs a ton) and the wood panelling (very light) should be enough to counter the missing struts though? (I have left two of them in place though also).

Also, you see the load bearers along the side? These run through the whole lenght of the attic & into the concrete walls (possible into next door too). The rafters are fixed to these also, which prevents them from moving up & down. But yep, if your volunteering a gander your more than welcome :)

I'll pop down the weekend and have a butchers for you no problem

There's nothing less fun than waking up after a stormy night with a suspicious draft coming from upstairs, ascending to find you now have a slighty more partial and moist collection of classic consoles and games, an open air partial and moist collection at that as well.
    Well, waking up to find your privates floating in a jar next to the bed with a thank you from a rabid ex-partner would probably trump it in the "Oh No, that didn't happen" stakes, but that's about all I can think of...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

73591.jpg
    Er, I'd say those struts are there for a reason! I have those in my attic and a carpenter told me you'd basically have to replace the whole roof to do a full conversion!
    My main problem is where would I put the 20 tons of crap that are in my attic right now?

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Er, I'd say those struts are there for a reason! I have those in my attic and a carpenter told me you'd basically have to replace the whole roof to do a full conversion!
    My main problem is where would I put the 20 tons of crap that are in my attic right now?

I wasn't talking about all of them :pac: Impossible to say from the little diagram, but it can be done. The real problem you have is the stuff you mentioned, it's a show stopper really if there's nowhere to put it all.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I'll be waiting outside your house during the next storm for all of your collection to blow down the street :D

o1s1n wrote: »
    I'll be waiting outside your house during the next storm for all of your collection to blow down the street :D

Lol, yeah :D Who needs VR, play video games in my attic during a storm! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

I gotta get me a house with an attic!

Then a ****load of consoles to put in the attic!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

I really annoys me chatting to retroheads from the US and Oz talking about their basement setups. I guess they'd just fill up with water if we had basements here.:mad:

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    I really annoys me chatting to retroheads from the US and Oz talking about their basement setups. I guess they'd just fill up with water if we had basements here.:mad:

The RAGE effect :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭Dark Savior

Wow,really fantastic job EnterNow,I'd tip my hat to ya if I was wearing one;).Cant wait to see the final photo's.

• Advertisement

@ Enternow, are you around tomorrow early afternoon and I will pop in to check your attic, it'll only take 5 minutes all I need is some measuremants

Got a bit done today, namely the area immediately over the stair entrance. I had this area wired for a small, overhead lamp to illuminate the entrance space at night etc.

This morning

op7lgy.jpg

Before fitting the lamp, I kept going with the wood panelling all the way to the main support beam. Mark where the wiring needs to exit the wood, & cut out a small square appropriately.

2ib2g75.jpg

A while later (still have to clean up the last wooden piece it's only resting in place there)

m9vdw9.jpg

Let there be light indeed

2hi3vjq.jpg

The light switch is within reach of a person still standing on the stairs, and within reach of roughly where I'll be sitting up there. This means when turning off lights etc there'll be no accidental falling down the stairs etc.

The switches control:

1) The entrance area light, (small low wattage bulb, diffused light so no glare in your eyes going up the stairs)

2) The 4 main uplighters for daily use (again low wattage, pearl effect bulbs so no glare. I also used uplighters as opposed to sunken spots because in the sitting position there's now now light shining in your eyes).

3) Two final spot lights, one on each side of the chimney breast. (Decorative uplighters, possible amber coloured bulbs for soft easy on the eys light. These arn't in place yet, but the wiring is in place & ready to go).

Three different lighting circuits

2up8y6c.jpg

The entrance light, as you can see there'll be no direct light shining in anyone's eyes going up the stairs.

taio11.jpg

Here's the storage hatches I was on about earlier in the thread. There's an identical one on the other side of the attic too, & as well as simply folding down, I can remove the door altogether very easily in needs be. My retro collection is on the opposite compartment at the mo, as a ten foot long three foot high giant lego kit (all interconnected & packed :D)

2pu0myh.jpg

Not bad for a mornings work. Now, I better get onto some of these consoles to repair/mod to clear the backlogue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ChnGamer

Gonna be sick! Dedicated games room (not being your bedroom ;)) is pretty much most gamers ultimate goal.

Had an awesomely converted attic in the last house that i rented which was transformed into an entertainment room. Was stupidly cold in the winter but pretty much heaven in Summer.

what is/was your budget for the conversion if you don't mind me asking?

Look forward to seeing your complete setup. :D

ChnGamer wrote: »
    Gonna be sick! Dedicated games room (not being your bedroom ;)) is pretty much most gamers ultimate goal.

Had an awesomely converted attic in the last house that i rented which was transformed into an entertainment room. Was stupidly cold in the winter but pretty much heaven in Summer.

what is/was your budget for the conversion if you don't mind me asking?

Look forward to seeing your complete setup. :D

It won't come anywhere near Ciders conversion, I simply don't have the area he has. But it'll be the best the house can provide, and hey, I didn't have it before and do now so that has to be a bonus :)

From the membrane stage to now came in at well under €1200 quid I'd say. That's including the Window & Staire installations too. It really pays to try your hand at DIY, it's an amateur conversion, but I can't even imagine what a full conversion with bay window extension costs these days. Plus this way I got to make it exactly how I wanted it, no beard rubbing and sharp breath's here :D

I've been doing it over the space of a year probably too, so the money was spread out as I needed new materials, it wasn't one big bill. Thats another advantage of doing it yourself, you can pick n choose when to throw an hour or two into it etc (although that's a bad thing really motivation wise :o)

I have to say it looks great, and well done.
    What furniture/seating are you considering?
    Some beanbags would seem ideal but might I suggest a futon, the type that folds into a low sofa, perfect for gaming or turns the space into an extra guest bedroom.

• Advertisement

might I suggest a futon, the type that folds into a low sofa, perfect for gaming or turns the space into an extra guest bedroom.

:eek::eek::eek::(:mad: What and have some smelly breath landing all over the modded consoles.....don't you know those are running 60hz:pac:

Yesterday & today's minor progress updates.

This is the storage are where all my retro goodness lives for the time being. It's all packed behind the nice wooden panelling, & ready to be unleashed when the room is done. I've an access hatch/door to cover the entrance when not in use.

33w02ol.jpg

The camera won't show the scale properly, but from here its about 4 feet down to the wall, & it's about four feet deep but the apex closes off the height the further you go in.

16207mg.jpg

Again, in the other direction, this way goes down about 12 feet, so plenty of storage for long term stuff like stuff you basically don't need to get at. My retro stuff goes down about 4 feet this way, & from there on out it's just stuff I never need to really get at. I'll fit a light in here at some stage incase I need to get travel down to the depths of storage.

v6uas7.jpg

They're like caged animals waiting to get out! I cannot wait to have somewhere to have stuff set up & ready for use.

14sdq3r.jpg

Ok, without further ado, lets get on with it!

29llk69.jpg

Now, we need a door. Here's one I made earlier (finally got to say that!! lol)

1zeut88.jpg

The plasterboarded side, have to woodify this side.

e6dmrd.jpg

Fixed to it's mounting point with two strong hinges (heavy enough door, which is why I chose to let it open with gravity, as opposed to making stilts etc to hold it open).

1220uq8.jpg

Closed, & ready for wood.

261cd46.jpg

Pencil line to allign the new piece to the pieces to the left & right of it.

kez2ia.jpg

Starting from the top down, measure to fit, cut & fit.

28w1oxx.jpg

Keep going. It's not a perfect fit, after all I'm no carpenter. But I'll clean all the rough edges etc at the end. I'll also use the adhesive decorative strips to match the wood, which will cover slight mismatches etc.

2d6qejq.jpg

Finito. The gap at the bottom has to be there, as the door pivots to open, I'll run carpet into it to neaten it up at the end anyway.

2z8xch3.jpg

That's the whole roof, both sides too from top to bottom done. Just gotta do around the water tank as shown earlier & I'm done. From there it will be decorated, carpeted & made into a living space.

2tcpk.jpg

This thread is the business :pac:

Love the updates, pretty good for a non carpenter.....:D

Love the updates, pretty good for a non carpenter.....:D

It's like a giant jigsaw puzzle, only I've to make the pieces too :D

Design the jigsaw, make the jigsaw, pay for the jigsaw, install the jigsaw, maintain the jigsaw !!!

Master of the Universe

Those storage areas look really secure. Should keep all your stuff safe when the roof blows off :D

When can we see the completed room?
    You'll have to make a video tour, post it to youtube and stick the link here.

When can we see the completed room?
    You'll have to make a video tour, post it to youtube and stick the link here.
    ^ This needs to happen

Like a cribs kinda thing?

"Yeah, sup yall it's EN here aka EnterNow aka biggie big dog aka ice cubey ice cube. Today I'm gonna show y'all round ma new video games arena. First ya have to get us this ladder man, then that's basically it. Ya can switch de lights on ba these three switches, this is where I get ma Super NES on, next to it is ma Megadrive with that Mega Cee Dee attachment (insert gripping crotch scene & bizarre hand gesture with three fingers straight, with the rest sideways). A also have a Nnn 64 here with Goldenaye yall, it's trick for multeye player gaming, and finally here's ma 'Trex. It's flash man, real flash."

That would basically conclude the tour, & the ghetto accent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement