Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Let there be light! (Attic to Game Room Conversion Status)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'd be happy to see everything bar the crotch grabbing.

So we'd have Cribs with Enternow, followed by Pump My Console with Enternow...

"This guy has a busted, tired old 91 Sega Megadrive, and we is gonna pump that muthu fo him"
    "We gonna set him up with 10 more Hz of refresh"
    "Now we put in a brand new SPDT switch, dumping the dumb ass Pal and setting him up with full ntsc compatibility"
    "Also we have a RGB cable for some sweet video"
    "So, here you go man, your pimped Megadrive!"
    Queue a loser to jump around like a moron....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    "This guy has a busted, tired old 91 Sega Megadrive, and we is gonna pump that muthu fo him"
    "Now we put in a brand new SPDT switch, dumping the dumb ass Pal and setting him up with full ntsc compatibility"
    Queue o1s1n to jump around like a moron....

FYP :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'd be happy to see everything bar the crotch grabbing.

So we'd have Cribs with Enternow, followed by Pump My Console with Enternow...

Queue a loser to jump around like a moron....

Ah yes, the tired rantings of someone who doesn't see the difference in 60Hz :D You'll learn, you'll learn. I was near Crumlin today, so said I'd pop into Radionics to pick up 4 switches (2 4 U 2 4 O(1s1n)).Do you think I could find the place? Must have drove past it 3/4 times looking for the entrance, I wouldn't mind but I've been in there before! I'll order them off the bay anyway, should be cheaper.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It is obviously some sort of uber nerd den, only accessible by the few who are worthy, and have multiple burns to their fingertips...
    Did they check on the door if the scars were present before they let you in??

Master of the Universe

Switches for....? oh! The Super Famicom! I'd forgotten about that. Another console freed from the shackles of region locking.
    It is obviously some sort of uber nerd den, only accessible by the few who are worthy, and have multiple burns to their fingertips...
    Did they check on the door if the scars were present before they let you in??

Uber nerd den?

You have seen your attic...Right? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

EnterNow wrote: »
    Ah yes, the tired rantings of someone who doesn't see the difference in 60Hz :D You'll learn, you'll learn. I was near Crumlin today, so said I'd pop into Radionics to pick up 4 switches (2 4 U 2 4 O(1s1n)).Do you think I could find the place? Must have drove past it 3/4 times looking for the entrance, I wouldn't mind but I've been in there before! I'll order them off the bay anyway, should be cheaper.

Google Maps Streetview :
    URL

Some collection of connectors etc !

I have seen my attic, it is, after all, my attic!
    And what of it?
    Not necessarily a nerd,
    a collector perhaps..
    a hobbiest certainly..
    a curator of weird and wonderful digital doo dads, a bit
    a nerd, feck it, probably!

I have seen my attic, it is, after all, my attic!
    And what of it?
    Not necessarily a nerd,
    a collector perhaps..
    a hobbiest certainly..
    a curator of weird and wonderful digital doo dads, a bit
    a nerd, feck it, probably!

It's less nerdy to just admit it. Denying it makes you even more nerdy, I'll no doubt have to adopt the same technique when the time comes :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Being a Nerd is the new "Being cool", all these poser nerds everywhere now thinking they are great. I was a NERD before all these people jumped on the nerd bandwagon.

Collected Star Wars Figures - Check
    Collect Transformers Comics - Check
    Sat in my room alone watching scifi - Check
    Play games constantly - Check

Nerds these days arent hardcore! :pac: These days Avril Lavigne et al stick on a pair of nerd glasses and all of a sudden being a nerd is cool!

• Advertisement

keithgeo wrote: »
    Being a Nerd is the new "Being cool", all these poser nerds everywhere now thinking they are great. I was a NERD before all these people jumped on the nerd bandwagon.

Nerds these days arent hardcore! :pac: These days Avril Lavigne et al stick on a pair of nerd glasses and all of a sudden being a nerd is cool!

Amen to that. We are the original dorks :D You can't become a nerd just by impersonating one, you have to be a nerd. The copius amounts of model starships in the above pics buy me a ticket on the nerd express...what about the rest of you huh? Thougt so....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

I'm not a nerd.......................................still telling myself that.
    Off to browse electronic websites.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Still a virgin... CHECK..

:(

The copius amounts of model starships in the above pics buy me a ticket on the nerd express...what about the rest of you huh? Thougt so....:D

I spotted all the model Star Trek ships alright, Im trying to think what the biggest nerd thing i have is, I have a signed photo of shatner and nimoy from the original series, and a Return of the Jedi framed pic signed by David Prowse. I guess they are probably the "nerdiest" thing i have. apart from the Serenity from Firefly spread across my office wall! oh and there is a framed pic of Mace windu signed by samuel L Jackson in the attic somewhere too haha.. dont ask.

Master of the Universe

I think for something to be truely nerdy it has to have as little cool factor as possible.

Therefore most consoles and cabs really can't count as nerdy. Having a big assed arcade cab in your house is the coolest thing ever..and I think most people would appreciate that. Although the more obscure they get the more nerdyness probably creeps in.

All Star Trek stuff on the other hand definitely counts as nerdy :p

Im a total nerd so haha, i have a captain kirk figure from star trek the motion picture! The first film :o

• Advertisement

I simply must have the signed Mace Windu pic for the freshly wooded walls :( Offer 1 soul for the item?

You can have it for nothing, its sitting in the attic about a year. the colour in the photo is slightly washed, but its yours if you want it.

You can have it for nothing, its sitting in the attic about a year. the colour in the photo is slightly washed, but its yours if you want it.

If...I...want...it?? No way man, not for nothing. Even a mod or two on the house or something but absoloutely I'll take that! Are you sure??

Yeh seriously, its in bubble wrap in the attic. Dont get too excited until you see it, honestly the image is slightly washed, which is why its in my attic!

Yeh seriously, its in bubble wrap in the attic. Dont get too excited until you see it, honestly the image is slightly washed, which is why its in my attic!

Take note budding nerds, the above it's how it's done. To summarise:

Nerd A - I have cool star wars pics.
    Nerd B - Want.
    Nerd A - You can have it.
    Nerd B - Guilt upon free picture..."I'll modify your electronic console in exchange for the cool Star Wars pic.
    Nerd A - Deal.

Ubernerds at work :D:D

Got a bit more done today, will post pics later or tomorrow. Almost done, it feels like Xmas '95 again with the anticipation of Megadrive & Snes goodness building up.

• Advertisement

I can come to your house and... um...

help

<_<

>_>

Tallon wrote: »
    I can come to your house and... um...

help

<_<

>_>

Female? By all means. Male? Bye

:D

Female? By all means. Male? Bye

:D
    16/f/cali

Master of the Universe

Tallon wrote: »
    16/f/cali

:eek:

So you're the girl I keep randomly bumping into in chatrooms. I always thought it was amazing how you never aged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

If I'm a theoretical physics postgrad who obsessively collects anything electronic with the phrase 'nintendo' stamped on it, am I a nerd...or god help me...a geek?!

o1s1n wrote: »
    :eek:

So you're the girl I keep randomly bumping into in chatrooms. I always thought it was amazing how you never aged.

Flashback to the a/s/l days :D

ghostchant wrote: »
    If I'm a theoretical physics postgrad who obsessively collects anything electronic with the phrase 'nintendo' stamped on it, am I a nerd...or god help me...a geek?!

I think it's safe to say, your one of us :D Don't go too far down the geek road though, it doesn't end well :D

Master of the Universe

I think it's safe to say, your one of us :D Don't go too far down the geek road though, it doesn't end well :D

Amen to that. I think I'm about 2-3 consoles away from being single :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

/nerd hat on

Oooh interesting, any particular area?

/nerd hat off

Back on topic, hows the sound proofing in the attic EnterNow? Nice and quiet up there? Actually, can you close back up the ladder from the attic side or would that lock you in?

Andrew76 wrote: »
    /nerd hat on

/nerd hat off

Back on topic, hows the sound proofing in the attic EnterNow? Nice and quiet up there? Actually, can you close back up the ladder from the attic side or would that lock you in?

The difference in sound is immense, it was one of the first things I noticed after the insulation went in. Traffic noise outside is just a quiet hum now, as opposed to being able to identify what cars were going by, by the engine note :D

The plasterboarding & wooden panelling make it very very comfortable up there from a noise point of view. Regards the door, there's no way of closing it while up there (which is a good thing when there's gonna be an 8 year old gaming up there)...but being locked up there may not be so bad :pac:

• Advertisement

/nerd hat on

/nerd hat off

Theoretical/computational biophysics - protein folding simulations basically. Bags o' fun.

I find the obsessive nintendo collecting side of me to be far more interesting :P

The difference in sound is immense, it was one of the first things I noticed after the insulation went in. Traffic noise outside is just a quiet hum now, as opposed to being able to identify what cars were going by, by the engine note :D

The plasterboarding & wooden panelling make it very very comfortable up there from a noise point of view. Regards the door, there's no way of closing it while up there (which is a good thing when there's gonna be an 8 year old gaming up there)...but being locked up there may not be so bad :pac:

Ah defo correct there. I was just thinking maybe when the little lad is fast asleep you could entertain a few ladies up there in private! One flick of a button and the room tranforms Austin Powers like into an "entertainment" area. :pac: (Yup, quite a boring day at work today!)
    Theoretical/computational biophysics - protein folding simulations basically. Bags o' fun.

I find the obsessive nintendo collecting side of me to be far more interesting :P

Damn, thought it might have been something around quantum energy levels and Riemann zeros. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭yrwhu8jxtni06a

Spending time in attic with all machines and games around you-

Ah defo correct there. I was just thinking maybe when the little lad is fast asleep you could entertain a few ladies up there in private! One flick of a button and the room tranforms Austin Powers like into an "entertainment" area. :pac: (Yup, quite a boring day at work today!)

Privacy is a rare thing these days man, especially living at home :( Nevertheless, it's obtainable but the attic sadly won't provide that kind of fun, well, sometimes maybe :p
    Spending time in attic with all machines and games around you-

On the contrary, the sun was blinding up there today being south facing et all :D

Ok todays work involved starting the final hurdle, the panelling around the water tank which has a door for maintanence/storage/access.

Before

8x6d55.jpg

Because this is a fairly light structure, I'll be relying on the platerboard to hold the wooden panelling, with fewer tacks than normal. In light of that, some bonding adhesive was applied for strenght, particularly because of the door being opened/closed.

2557ria.jpg

Starting from the top, working down

246jbpc.jpg

Reaching the top of the door now, however the next lenght of wood will overlap onto the door by about an inch. Two choices, cut the lenght of wood to fit around the door (I would if my measuring skills were better), or cut the door by about an inch. I cut the top of the door down by about in inch, so it's perfectly in line for the next piece, without having to cut wood.

148gn6s.jpg

11r40ba.jpg

Here you can see, the next piece of wood will sit perfectly on the door & all will be well.

2r762kj.jpg

Continuing on, leaving the door covering until last.

2nkp2l1.jpg

Slow and steady...

n50gg8.jpg

...wins the race

1z3cy9f.jpg

Onto the door now, the first two lats placed, starting from the top down

ou0goy.jpg

Repetition

kd9ukh.jpg

Finito

a2x63q.jpg

Open sesame

fylmdi.jpg

That's it for today, I've a handle to put on the door which I'll do at the end along with all the other finishing touches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

I am so Jealous. I have a trussed Roof so I am unable, without spending a lot of money, to connvert my Attic. Blast !!!! :(:mad:

Damn, thought it might have been something around quantum energy levels and Riemann zeros. :o

Nothing that exotic I'm afraid, but from my undergrad I know a good bit about anything that tickles your fancy in QM. I don't know much beyond popular science about the Riemann hypothesis though!

Master of the Universe

Nothing that exotic I'm afraid, but from my undergrad I know a good bit about anything that tickles your fancy in QM. I don't know much beyond popular science about the Riemann hypothesis though!

My cat's breath smells like catfood.

I reckon all this Quantum Chromodynamics and M-Theory is nonsense, I think its all about pixies and elves, they're there, pulling the strings, like the whole universe is their own private LBP level, mark my words....

Little sh1ts, keep hiding my car keys!

• Advertisement

I knew it!
    Vicious little buggers!

I reckon all this Quantum Chromodynamics and M-Theory is nonsense, I think its all about pixies and elves, they're there, pulling the strings, like the whole universe is their own private LBP level, mark my words....

Little sh1ts, keep hiding my car keys!

The masters behind string theory? There you have it, a unified theory that allows pixies & string theory to co-exist. Pfft, who needs particle accelerators...boards answers all.

Update from a few days ago, I forgot to throw up the pics. Starting now on the other side of the water tank surround, & onto the final hurdle...trigonometry :eek:

Normally I've been working from the top down, but as I'm working into an apex now, I decided to start at the bottom & work up

34j5400.jpg

15xag54.jpg

Now as I'm rapidly running out of wood, I'm gonna use some of the cuttings from previous pieces to save as much full lenghts as possible. Once they were cut straight, they sit together very well

6pcihj.jpg

14myrfp.jpg

See, there's no noticeable joins between two halves

2qdoh6s.jpg

Speaking of science/physics earlier...it actually turns out that X + Y does infact = Z :eek: I'm as shocked as the rest of you. I never understood the point of adding letters together, until now!

f2q3k7.jpg

2uxv5nk.jpg

m9vtc8.jpg

That was one of the trickiest parts of the whole part of putting the wood in. There's no margin for error, as the wood is the finished product. With plasterboard you don't have to be too accurate as yo uknow it's getting covered, but the wood is the covering & you've got to live with whatever way you fit it. Hard part done, the rest is simply working up to the apex.

33k3dlg.jpg

Nice and neat man, looking good. In the last pic, top right, is the panelling a different colour or just a trick of the light? Or have you varnished it?

Nice and neat man, looking good. In the last pic, top right, is the panelling a different colour or just a trick of the light? Or have you varnished it?

Just noticed that now lol, nah they all came from the same packets so it's a combination of light tricks & not every piece being a replica of the last kind of thing. There's a grain that runs through them, & some pieces are shaded slightly differently, but in a natural way. I guess the light in the pic just emphasises it, but when you see it in person it all blends together nicely :)

• Advertisement

Cool, not like it makes any difference anyway. Heh another thumbs up is the plug sockets having a good clearance from the floor. :)

So after the panelling, you mentioned carpet was going down, is there much to do after that? Any ideas on the tv & console setup you want to have or too early to worry about that?

Cool, not like it makes any difference anyway. Heh another thumbs up is the plug sockets having a good clearance from the floor. :)

So after the panelling, you mentioned carpet was going down, is there much to do after that? Any ideas on the tv & console setup you want to have or too early to worry about that?

Oh I've used enough console psu's to know that sockets too near the floor are a non runner. As I said previously, a huge advantage about doing stuff like this yourself, is you can choose when/how/where to put the things you want without watching someone rubbing their beard & inhaling sharply.

The sockets you see there are mainly gonna be for chargers (psp, dsi, nomad etc) and further down I'll have the main power outlets for the tv's & consoles. Yep I'll finish the wood, maybe touch up the paint again, & lay carpet down. From there I'll start looking at shelving & then it's just a matter of setting what I can up. As to the setup, I've no idea yet. For sure the 16bit kings will have a permanent presence, I'll just have to see how I'm fixed for room etc.

...without watching someone rubbing their beard & inhaling sharply...

Hahaha that made me laugh. Someone else posted something similar today about paying good money to stare at someone else's arse crack to fit a washing machine. :pac:

Balancing space and consoles you think you might want to play can be a pain. I go through cycles of boxing stuff away to replace them with other consoles, always end up with a mess of cables at the back of the tv. Keep meaning to label the plugs with their console names but never fecking do. :rolleyes:

You forgot the scratching the head under the cap.and the whistle backwards, as they proclaim that they don't have the part in the van and how unlucky you are to have model of (insert appliance name here).
    Feckers!

Ok I finished off the apex wall today, looks better than I hoped it would. I've been dreading that mad angle at the girder since I started the panelling, but it worked out well.

291kity.jpg

Onto the final wall, in between where the door opens & the recently finished wall. Rather than cutting around the lightswitch, I decided to just remove it & refit it over the wood. I didn't do this with sockets though, as I needed maximum strenght for plugs being constantly plugged in & removed etc.

eskirp.jpg

A quick clean up & on with the first piece.

f06e4z.jpg

Switches removed, & piece ready for marking/cutting.

21lj3ep.jpg

Next piece test fitting, hole cut for wiring, & two holes for remounting the switches.

efic6c.jpg

Sorted, just need to refit the switch

28bcy6s.jpg

Done, the rest will fly up from here.

2a5eljl.jpg

Half way up

2ljrpzk.jpg

Almost there

2vkmhx5.jpg

Epic. I'm done.

vndsuw.jpg

• Advertisement