Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Let there be light! (Attic to Game Room Conversion Status)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

A quick tour before I set about wrapping up on the wood tomorrow. I've still the interiour of the window to do around, & a handful of areas to patch but essentially it's finished. All in all the wood costs around €350 delivered, & gives a seriously nice finish for that money. The lighting makes it look much more orange than it is in reality, in normal light it's a nice pine finish.

i1hfeq.jpg

2r4hra1.jpg

1gp7a.jpg

3022psz.jpg

uljdw.jpg

do1ch2.jpg

I've to panel the inside of the window frame, amongst a small few other bits.

33lzhqe.jpg

2ij0ncn.jpg

317a25v.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Looks really well. The combination of panelling and the lights make it look nice and cosy. Hehe like the model Ferrari's, F40, Testarossa et al. Some beast of a CRT that.
    For some reason I keep looking at the slanted divide between the floor and ceiling panelling and thinking it would be a cool place to have a row of handhelds fitted to it somehow. Some sort of individual holders attached to it that you could sit handhelds in and take out whenever you wanted to play them.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Looks really well. The combination of panelling and the lights make it look nice and cosy. Hehe like the model Ferrari's, F40, Testarossa et al. Some beast of a CRT that.
    For some reason I keep looking at the slanted divide between the floor and ceiling panelling and thinking it would be a cool place to have a row of handhelds fitted to it somehow. Some sort of individual holders attached to it that you could sit handhelds in and take out whenever you wanted to play them.

Is that where the socket is? If so I was thinking the same myself. A few small shelves in there to hold hendhelds etc could be on the cards.

Edit - The Ferarri's are cool arn't they, I got them for free ages ago with a load of defunct Scalextrix parts/track etc.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Is that where the socket is? If so I was thinking the same myself. A few small shelves in there to hold hendhelds etc could be on the cards.

Edit - The Ferarri's are cool arn't they, I got them for free ages ago with a load of defunct Scalextrix parts/track etc.

No I meant here:

alonghere.jpg

That section that runs the length on both sides, just looked like a nice fit for storing handhelds without the need for shelving.
    You know in a mobile shop, for example, where they have those plastic holders the phones sit in? Something like that only nicer looking and something that goes with the over all look, maybe not even plastic. Rather than shelves that stick out that you might knock an arm or shoulder off.

Hehe certainly are. I've had to move my better ones out of reach of a certain 2 yr old. He's already destroyed an F40, F50 and 550 Maranello on me. Least he knows what an engine is though. :pac:

No I meant here:

alonghere.jpg

That section that runs the length on both sides, just looked like a nice fit for storing handhelds without the need for shelving.
    You know in a mobile shop, for example, where they have those plastic holders the phones sit in? Something like that only nicer looking and something that goes with the over all look, maybe not even plastic. Rather than shelves that stick out that you might knock an arm or shoulder off.

Hhhhhmmmmm...innnteresting :cool:

Hhhhhmmmmm...innnteresting :cool:

:pac:

Just thinking about maximising the space, they look like a good fit for something anyway.

:pac:

Just thinking about maximising the space, they look like a good fit for something anyway.

I could have all of the handhelds on that beam...no problem. I'm wondering now would the other side be good for games etc, if I put a bottom on it.

I could have all of the handhelds on that beam...no problem. I'm wondering now would the other side be good for games etc, if I put a bottom on it.

Yeah maybe. Or even the odd controller from different machines through the decades - like a mini museum piece. The choice is yours as they say. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If you ran a strip of perspex or thick enough mdf along there you could create enough space to hold all the handhelds and the games as well, create vertical dividers every now and then, perhaps use small block of wood with stick on velcro patches on the shelf and on the block and fix them that way, then you could move them easily, just replace the patch on the shelf in a new position.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

A quick tour before I set about wrapping up on the wood tomorrow. I've still the interiour of the window to do around, & a handful of areas to patch but essentially it's finished. All in all the wood costs around €350 delivered, & gives a seriously nice finish for that money. The lighting makes it look much more orange than it is in reality, in normal light it's a nice pine finish.

Roughly how much wood did you get for that? Seems like a fair amount for the price, all lookin damn well. :)

amacachi wrote: »
    Roughly how much wood did you get for that? Seems like a fair amount for the price, all lookin damn well. :)

I was trying to work that out actually.I think it was 12 packs, which include ten lenghts of 3 meter cladding each. Roughly around that anyway, very very reasonable price I though. Brooks builders providers on the old naas road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

How the hell did you manage to get such a massive CRT into the attic?! DId you set up some sort of temporary roof crane?

Lu Tze wrote: »
    How the hell did you manage to get such a massive CRT into the attic?! DId you set up some sort of temporary roof crane?

Took the back off it, all the weight is in the screen so with the back off it its much easier to actually get a grip on it.

I got carpet today up in Carpetright (I think is the name of it, beside Homebase on the old Naas Road). Lovely tan brown carpet to match the wood & brighten up the whole room. I got 8" x 12" to begin with, I may need more for patchwork. List price was €80 for that area, sale on brought it down to €36 something...:cool:

I'll post pics when itd down, later this evening or maybe tomorrow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Video, we need video!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Video, we need video!

As soon as Xzibit is free & wraps up Pimp My Loft Seaon 13 he said he can spare 30/40 seconds to do mine & it'll be live on MTV157 :D

Tried to take that tv down tonight, it just isn't happeing. Neighbour draftage tomorrow methinks...the weight in it is simply indescribeable :eek:

A suggestion is use a duvet cover as a hammock, put the tv into it and lower it down to an assistant on the floor below.
    Or just accept that you will live with the behemoth in your attic FOREVER!!!!

A suggestion is use a duvet cover as a hammock, put the tv into it and lower it down to an assistant on the floor below.

That's exactly how I'll be doing it tomorrow, with the use of ropes & all kinds of Rambo type toolage.
    CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Or just accept that you will live with the behemoth in your attic FOREVER!!!!

I wish, but it's just a monster in my quaint attic :(

• Advertisement

Transformation from bare floor to carpeted

wi9gxy.jpg

307rnz5.jpg

ivjmlz.jpg

To...

33kcc2f.jpg

ieqvlf.jpg

15rkrnk.jpg

2yy9gzk.jpg

142svg0.jpg

I won't win any prizes for carpetry, but I still need to let the carpet settle into position before making any more adjustments. It's also hard to get the camera to convey the real colours with the sun blaring in, but you get the idea.

Shelving unit was one I had already, it'll do nicely for the moment. Otherwise, some new units, an lcd screen & I'm done.

At long, long, long last, today saw the begining of the transformation into an actual games den. The shelving came courtesy of Woodies, it was on sale, then the sale ended but someone forgot to take in the sale sign on these particular ones...so half price goodness ensued :cool: €40 for the three units as opposed to the rrp of €80 odd, can't argue with that.

I'll look at side shelving, cable management, power management etc all next week...but this weekend see's the releasing of the wild animals!

jaf0q1.jpg

21n36zb.jpg

dwrpl.jpg

x5s1mu.jpg

2cf5te8.jpg

9ssbkm.jpg

The above is a rough idea of how I want it, again I'll need to finalise it & do some serious cable management.

Btw, if the Vectrex hadn't of fit there I was going to sell it, it must be faith :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭Dark Savior

129157560796314951.gif

Wow,I love this thread.Makes me wonder what I could do with my attic,although herself would probably fill it with clothes and shoes:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

That is a sweet setup I must say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,389 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I am sick with envy. SICK!

That looks amazing man. Really does. Well done.

o1s1n wrote: »
    I am sick with envy. SICK!

That looks amazing man. Really does. Well done.

Well the following is going to turn your stomach :D Look away ...now!

2cqnqtj.jpg

aujjus.jpg

2mrgrog.jpg

160ambm.jpg

Tbh, that more or less concludes the thread. There's very little thats gaming related I can add to it from here. I'll need to devise cabling solutions, side shelving for the handhelds & games etc...but for the most part, I'm done. I might throw up one final pic when the handhelds & games are displayed for the sake of consistency, but I'm more or less signing off on updates from here on out.

Housing the Amiga & C64 are my only problems now, & I may just take them out of storage when needed and leave it at that. The Wii still has to go up, but essentially I got everything displayed thank god. With the Wii there'll be 22 devices there including tv's, so that's going to be some setup for plugs. I now know exactly what scarts etc I need too.

To go from this

muao9.jpg

to the above though gives me a real sense of achievement, & after over ten years of collecting, I now have a place to actually enjoy the fruits of my hobby. Thank you all for the kind comments & encouragement...it was a b1tch at times, but I'm chuffed I stuck through it & have a decent spot now for some actual game time :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭yrwhu8jxtni06a

*waits for the is that the "insert comp/console name" here i see-i must get one of them now *swooon :p

Master of the Universe

to the above though gives me a real sense of achievement, & after over ten years of collecting, I now have a place to actually enjoy the fruits of my hobby. Thank you all for the kind comments & encouragement...it was a b1tch at times, but I'm chuffed I stuck through it & have a decent spot now for some actual game time :cool:

It's an achievement alright. Both the attic and the collection itself. It really does take a lot of effort to get all those consoles together. So great to see them finally all on display where they should be after a decade.

By the way, I have to say, I love how the Vectrex just fits in. It looks like that slot was specially designed for it :D

*waits for the is that the "insert comp/console name" here i see-i must get one of them now *swooon :p

Tbh there's nothing there that's swoon material. The Vectrex, 3DO, JAG, MC1 etc all all still fairly mainstream in the retro console world, & all available if the desire is there.

Tbh I'm actually thinking of selling off stuff like the Megadrive 2, MCD 2 etc...do they really need to live in storage?

Tbh there's nothing there that's swoon material. The Vectrex, 3DO, JAG, MC1 etc all all still fairly mainstream in the retro console world, & all available if the desire is there.

Not MC1,that has gone into a desirable item nowadays.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

2cqnqtj.jpg

B-E-A-utiful...

• Advertisement

Not MC1,that has gone into a desirable item nowadays.

Is it? I thought they were a bit scarcer in recent times alright but didn't know they've achieved legendary status amongst collectors? Tbh I'd rather use my MCD2, ah maybe I'll rearrange some things who knows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Looks fantastic, well done! Lovely and neat and everything is where you want it. Sure beats my system of constantly swapping around consoles....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

N64 on top of the 3DO, it does fit perfectly doesn't it :)

Yeah, I see you have used the old "its not a 3do Its a 64DD" trick....
    Sad man, sad.
    Did you think you wouldn't notice?
    I mean, you know we like retrogames, right?
    You couldn't fool us forever you know!

Steve SI wrote: »
    N64 on top of the 3DO, it does fit perfectly doesn't it :)

Yep, works a treat!
    Sad man, sad.

Mad isn't it, I went to put a zip disc in it there but couldn't get it to fit. Then it dawned on me...this isn't a 64DD, its a bloody 3DO! :rolleyes::p

Sad man, sad.

It's also not a 360DD under the 360....it's just an original Xbox.

Nothing gets past me.

:D

Schorpio wrote: »
    It's also not a 360DD under the 360....it's just an original Xbox.

Nothing gets past me.

:D

Both you clowns missed my SNESDD :D

Shouldn't that be the Nintendo Playstation?
    I mean, really, have your aspirations aimed a little higher, remember where you are!

Shouldn't that be the Nintendo Playstation?
    I mean, really, have your aspirations aimed a little higher, remember where you are!

Sometimes I wonder about you, my SNES CD is on the top shelf, & you call yourself a Retro enthusiast??

Hmm, I think you'll find this is what I meant...
    sony_nintendo_playstation.jpg
    But if you are strapped for cash and are willing to be a slightly lesser retro game collector, you could always get one of these instead and suffer the shame...
    orignintedops580.jpg
    :)

You know what would make the room, a Virtual Boy!

• Advertisement

You know what would make the room, a Virtual Boy!

There's a real boy up there right now, I think that's enough :D Tbh I'm so fugging happy that VB was borked, I really am trying to get out of the "oh I must buy it to add to my colelction" mentality. Having the collection out on display brings it all home, I simply don't have the space for much else.

The truth will set you free man, it was a sickness, which thankfully I'm recovering from :)

Tbh I'm so fugging happy that VB was borked, I really am trying to get out of the "oh I must buy it to add to my colelction" mentality. Having the collection out on display brings it all home, I simply don't have the space for much else.

Yes i learned it hard way,like i said its like having children to feed with them all,speaking of N64DD the real deal is here *dont click if you expect it for a fiver-

http://cgi.ebay.ie/N64-DD-Radnet-Starter-KIT-Disk-Drive-JAPAN-JAP-MINT-/120694026158?pt=Videospielkonsolen&hash=item1c19ecafae

Its a pity families can't be fed and mortgages paid in pure gaming goodness...
    World is so unfair sometimes!
    Groovy attic though, going to have to take some inspiration when I do a reorganisation of my own, its a complete mess.
    Controllers and cables everywhere.
    I keep saying it but I have to source wireless controllers for everything.

Its a pity families can't be fed and mortgages paid in pure gaming goodness...
    World is so unfair sometimes!
    Groovy attic though, going to have to take some inspiration when I do a reorganisation of my own, its a complete mess.
    Controllers and cables everywhere.
    I keep saying it but I have to source wireless controllers for everything.

Controllers though wouldn't bother me, provided they're tidied away afterwards & its not like some retro 8 bit squid trying to attack you :D

Take out a joypad, use it & put it away afterwards. Power cables & av cables though, I despise the sight of them!

Take out a joypad, use it & put it away afterwards. Power cables & av cables though, I despise the sight of them!

Ooh, a very big +1 to that! In a perfect world, every console would only come with an rgb scart, and it'd be a totally standard one-fits-every console job. It'd make swapping around consoles a breeze and everything would be lovely and neat.

I shudder everytime I have to dive into the cable spaghetti behind my TV......:(

Ooh, a very big +1 to that! In a perfect world, every console would only come with an rgb scart, and it'd be a totally standard one-fits-every console job. It'd make swapping around consoles a breeze and everything would be lovely and neat.

I shudder everytime I have to dive into the cable spaghetti behind my TV......:(

Its for that very reason I'm splashing out on dedicated cables for everything. The thoughts of fishing out a huge ball of knoys would make me just not bother :o

Actually, that raises a good question! Are you going to have some system so that every console is always hooked up to the tv (scart boxes or something along those lines) or are you just gonna change them around when you want them?

Actually, that raises a good question! Are you going to have some system so that every console is always hooked up to the tv (scart boxes or something along those lines) or are you just gonna change them around when you want them?

Just looking at my cable shopping list here:

11 Scart devices (7 of them for the CRT)
    2 HMDI Devices (obviously for the LCD)
    1 HD Component system (Wii on LCD)
    3 RF devices (CRT)

The only cables that can be left permanently in place are the HDMI's & the component.

For the rf's I'll just use an input splitter so they can stay permantly tidyed away also.

The scarts will require some swappage. What my plan is to do is to run two x5 scart switches to the center of the two units (the space between them). I'll label all the scart end & have them just sitting there in the middle, & I can swap them easily from there without having to mess about at the back of the tv's. Thats the plan anyway :)

Master of the Universe

Does your CRT support RGB in both scart sockets are just one? It'll probably just be the one...so you'll need to get those 7 devices all going into one socket. No point even using the other scart socket as you'll just get composite out of it. Not true RGB.

One thing I always wondered..what happens quality wise if you plug a manual scart switch box into another manual scart switch box? Chaining them together.

Say switch 5 on your multi scart box is connected to another 5 scart switch box.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Does your CRT support RGB in both scart sockets are just one? It'll probably just be the one...so you'll need to get those 7 devices all going into one socket. No point even using the other scart socket as you'll just get composite out of it. Not true RGB.

One thing I always wondered..what happens quality wise if you plug a manual scart switch box into another manual scart switch box? Chaining them together.

Say switch 5 on your multi scart box is connected to another 5 scart switch box.

Well, given the tv only has one RGB scart...I'm gonna find out some enough. Daisy chaining manual scart switchbox style :cool:

Advertisement