Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Let there be light! (Attic to Game Room Conversion Status)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

if you are looking to keep all the cables at the back, how about mounting one x5 scart switch over the TV and then use wall mounted cable clips for any excess scart connections and then you can just plug scart connections in and out as needed.

however I too had thought about the quality after daisy chaining the scart switches :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

if you are looking to keep all the cables at the back, how about mounting one x5 scart switch over the TV and then use wall mounted cable clips for any excess scart connections and then you can just plug scart connections in and out as needed.

however I too had thought about the quality after daisy chaining the scart switches :D

All the cables will be at the back, but the scart heads will be accessible from the middle of the two display stands. I aint drilling anything into that chimney breast...poured mass concrete...it's like titanium.

I won't have to daisy chain the scart blocks either, one x5 way selectable into each tv & again in the middle, I'll just lable all the scart heads and have them ready for use.

Got the 2nd hdmi cable today & another x6 way extension block. They're surge protected ones being sold off for 6.99 so two of them will be plenty. Just the scart blocks left to get, seen some cheap ones in Powercity but no mention of RGB with them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Random bit of info on HDMI cables, the poundshops are selling HDMI cables for 2quid. tempted to get some. Could do with a couple of em.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

keithgeo wrote: »
    Random bit of info on HDMI cables, the poundshops are selling HDMI cables for 2quid. tempted to get some. Could do with a couple of em.
    I've found that the cheapo ones are grand , but really short!
    Aldi do a decent length one for about 6 quid every so often, its worth keeping en eye out for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

That attic is fúcking awesome dude

Well done... keep those babies on display at all time!!

• Advertisement

For the encore :D

Got some shelving in today, on sale in Woodies again it was €13 or so for the four of them.

Mid lenght ones, space for the 3DS when it arrives on Fri, & a retirement spot for the DSi XL too.

2aj46jr.jpg

Laziness & being too warm (fugg you insulation :p) meant I didn't populate it this evening. I'm thinking of ditching the shelving unit in the background there, & buying 3/4 or 5 shelves for that wall instead.

2zfpw21.jpg

Finally, I get to break out some small posters. Gonna let these set flat for a day or two first

161i4k2.jpg

I have the same Nerf gun as you :pac:

Tallon wrote: »

Not mine dude...the attic has already been claimed :(:p which was inevitable!

haha you beat me to that post, we have that yellow one aswell!

keithgeo wrote: »
    haha you beat me to that post, we have that yellow one aswell!

Nerf Beers? :D:D

The minigun is also up there so you's would be minced :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Well done man very talented you are indeed..;)

bryaner wrote: »
    Well done man very talented you are indeed..;)

At the risk of sounding modest, all it takes is a bit of planning & patience (ok lots of patience)...but there's nothing shown here in the thread that nobody else couldn't do...It's a flashy finish thanks to the wood, but underneath is just plasterboard hammered to the roof :)

How much are you charging to do attic renevations? :p

How much are you charging to do attic renevations? :p

I've an introductory offer of a cool €100k per loft :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

You win everyday you go into that attic Bro.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

EnterNow wrote: »
    At the risk of sounding modest, all it takes is a bit of planning & patience (ok lots of patience)...but there's nothing shown here in the thread that nobody else couldn't do...It's a flashy finish thanks to the wood, but underneath is just plasterboard hammered to the roof :)

I suppose 4-5 years everyone was picking up the the phone and getting someone to do it for them, we will all be multi talented coming out of the recession:).

Still, very tasty work for diy a job..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

have been following your progress for the past few months (well, the last month anyway :D), all I can say is WOW and a massive well done, that's amazing work sir!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Seeing your attic makes me want to go upstairs and start that much delayed tidy up! It's a big job but someone has to do it and no amount of hinting to the wife has worked so far...

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Seeing your attic makes me want to go upstairs and start that much delayed tidy up! It's a big job but someone has to do it and no amount of hinting to the wife has worked so far...

The secret is music. Every piece of work I did was done to the sounds of Appetite For Destruction, and Use Your Illusion I & II.

Just put the tunes on, & drift away!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Hmm, gamesroom tidying music....
    Has to be The Triptych, mixed by Fred Deakin of LemonJelly. 3 hours of genius, eclectic music, oh and Under the Milkwood for afters, you should really get this, its great stuff.

• Advertisement

Ok I ditched the shelve unit, & bought proper matching shelves. I CAN FINALLY DISPLAY GAMES!!!

Here's my psu solution. It's basically a twin socket with two double adaptors in it. In each of the double adaptors is the left tv & the right tv, & then two x6 way extension leads. It looks lieka massive overload waiting to happen, but given only two or three points will only be active at any one time, its 100% safe. Everything is fused properly anyway, & the adaptors are surge protected.

2v2ig50.jpg

A better shot of the handheld section

ng4zcz.jpg

Some of the games!

zwn5uu.jpg

e712dg.jpg

o6i3nn.jpg

I need to get more shelves for the rest of the games, but its taking shape very nicely. All of my scarts landed too, just waiting on the madcatz adaptor units.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Hmm, gamesroom tidying music....
    Has to be The Triptych, mixed by Fred Deakin of LemonJelly. 3 hours of genius, eclectic music, oh and Under the Milkwood for afters, you should really get this, its great stuff.

Or just some Trance In Motion mixes :) which have kept me entertained while I work for the past few months now

e712dg.jpg

Oh is that "The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past" I see all nicely boxed? Does it have the 'help' instruction booklet still sealed I wonder? ;)

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Oh is that "The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past" I see all nicely boxed? Does it have the 'help' instruction booklet still sealed I wonder? ;)

Lol, funny you should ask that. Is that the little black tips book that came with it? You'll be delighted to hear it is indeed in the box, if it's been opened or not I can't remember but I shall check :p

KeRbDoG wrote: »

Well not quite sealed, but it's there :)

xkzme8.jpg

t6ffqh.jpg

& NEW POSTER ALERT! :D

15dl0z9.jpg

Now that brings back memories

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

why dont i see an AMIGA 500 there ? :cool:

ronan45 wrote: »
    why dont i see an AMIGA 500 there ? :cool:

Coz I don't have one, I do however have an Amiga 600 :p so show me where to put it & I'll make it so :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Coz I don't have one, I do however have an Amiga 600 :p so show me where to put it & I'll make it so :pac:

Extra strong blutac and mount it on the wall :D

I must bring up my Amiga 500 from home and do the same.

• Advertisement

Steve SI wrote: »
    Extra strong blutac and mount it on the wall :D

I must bring up my Amiga 500 from home and do the same.

Araldite that & the C64 to the roof :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Just after looking over this thread now. Amazing job Mr. Now! Don't suppose you want to come over to my house and build a nice setup, no? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

are you going to use bean bags or gaming chairs for up there?

I say use bean bags, I am looking at my space and thinking of getting rid of the giant desk, its only purpose is to hold the Steel Battalion controller and I don't play enough of it to warrant that monstrosity taking up so much room.
    Another solution is to head for Ikea and get a decent 2 seater couch, then use fold up chairs for visitors.
    The Ikea couch can be assembled in situ and may make for comfy gaming.

Its more or less gonna be a 3rd bedroom (for the little fella) so couches etc won't be a reality...its just not big enough. I'll prob end up picking up some small bean bags/pillow things to chill on. Then he'll have a 1 seater roll out to sleep on. Benefit of that is it'll roll up in the day & I'll regain all the space back.

I've the NES, SNES, PS3, PS2, 360 & Wii all setup & ready for immediate use. No messing about with cables etc, just turn them on & voila. Waiting on the scart adapters to do the rest. So far so good! RGB Scart + CRT TV = :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Feck beanbags, get budda bags!

Memory foam FTW!

bubble_bag_big_new.jpg

The really big ones are expensive, but the smaller ones might be more reasonable. There's a Budda bag shop in the city centre. You can go in and lounge about to see if you like them. It's pretty hard to leave!

But they'd be infinitely more comfortable than beanbags. I'm thinking about going halves on one of the larger ones with my girlfriend when we move to the new place.

• Advertisement

More pictures of girls on beanbags please!
    In fact, I can see a thread opening for that subject alone!

Actually there was a joke about a girl playing with her (insert colloquialism for cat here) but in the interests of decency I decided to omit it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i'm sure you could put something about beans in there as well ;)

Skerries wrote: »
    i'm sure you could put something about beans in there as well ;)

Lol, oh I'll find something ;)

Ok I have the NES, SNES, MS2, 3DO, N64, PS2, PS3, 360 & Wii all set up & ready to 'walk up & use' without any messing about with cables. Working reayll, really well so far. I must also say, the difference between RF & RGB is biblical after seeing close comparisons today.

Still havn't got to the NTSC N64 yet Retr0, I'm waiting on svideo to scart adaptors for that & the 3DO to land so I'll give you the verdict when they do :)

I must see if I can invest in some RGB cables and link the lot into the Sonys RGB scart.
    I am not liking the picture quality at the mo, not at all.

• Advertisement

I must see if I can invest in some RGB cables and link the lot into the Sonys RGB scart.
    I am not liking the picture quality at the mo, not at all.

The Itialian ebay seller has 4 of those Madcatz scart blocks left. They seem very well rated in any review I've read of them, with RGB on all four ports & no interference between ports. Unfortunaly, they don't seem to be made anymore.

I'm still not hopeful of these Italian ones even being legit, they seem too cheap. Time will tell, hopefully they land soon. But re the above, I know we keep harping on about it, but the difference is that good.

I was looking at a site in Ireland a while ago that sold those massive bean bags for really cheap with free delivery. i can dig it out if you want?

Gah, I had to cut the plugs off the 3DO & N64 as they were the bonded on type plugs :mad: Hate doing that, but in order to route the cables through the back of the cabinets it had to be done. All connected back up now & working away. Though there's prob more of those type plugs still to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Gah, I had to cut the plugs off the 3DO & N64 as they were the bonded on type plugs :mad: Hate doing that, but in order to route the cables through the back of the cabinets it had to be done. All connected back up now & working away. Though there's prob more of those type plugs still to come.

:eek:

Shame on you! You'll be cutting bits off the consoles to get them to fit into smaller places next!

Sometimes things just gotta be hacked to work dude. Plugs really would be the least of my worries.

Sounds like it's all coming along great. Although, I do feel a massive 'PICS OR GTFO' coming on...

o1s1n wrote: »
    :eek:

Shame on you! You'll be cutting bits off the consoles to get them to fit into smaller places next!

Sometimes things just gotta be hacked to work dude. Plugs really would be the least of my worries.

Sounds like it's all coming along great. Although, I do feel a massive 'PICS OR GTFO' coming on...

Pics you say? :p

Here's the attic as it is now (wrecked & going through cable assembly phase)

izax44.jpg

Basically, tags or gtfo :p

xp6fjp.jpg

Ya gotta love Sega for this mess :rolleyes: What were they thyinking!

24141t2.jpg

I'm still not seeing a Cribs style video!
    I guess it'll have to wait for an A&R Beers night, I'll get some wigs and sunglasses and we can film our own!

I'm still not seeing a Cribs style video!
    I guess it'll have to wait for an A&R Beers night, I'll get some wigs and sunglasses and we can film our own!

MGM won't give me the rights to make a motion picture of it. I could do a stop-motion one if you want? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Awesome thread, it really is inspiring to see how you've turned that space around into your own little haven

There was me wishing I could afford my own house so that I can have pets and stuff... I think I've found my true calling now!

tman wrote: »
    Awesome thread, it really is inspiring to see how you've turned that space around into your own little haven

There was me wishing I could afford my own house so that I can have pets and stuff... I think I've found my true calling now!

Thanks man :) It's hard for me to see the sudden impact of it the way it's shown in the pics, as I've seen it take shape gradually piece by piece. But I remember the way it was in the first pic of thread, clambering about to move around etc...and now when I see whats become I do feel kinda proud in a chuffed way :o:) As I've said though, it's only an amateur conversion & I'd no training in any of the above - it's doable by anyone with enoug patiece/time.

Re the pets, I dunno man, on one hand I don't have to clean up poo from the Gamecube every morning...but the Jaguar? Well, that's another story :p

I also realise that one of my problems is lighting, must install a few lamps here and there, illuminate the shadowy corners, evict the arachnid population and get the paperback collection somewhere more appropriate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement