Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Siphon Petrol from a Saab 9-5

Options
  • 09-02-2011 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi All

I have a Year 2000 Saab 9-5 automatic which major broke down last week on M1. Anyway , it's towed home and sitting in driveway, yet to be decided what to do with it. Auto Gearbox only shifting up to 3rd and it's been like that for months. Now the oil and battery light came on , lost all power and steering on motorway. Engine makes a funny noise so I guess it's beyond economic repair.. Shame really , nice car in good condition..

Anyway , I had just put €100 euro of petrol into it just before it popped and would really like to get it out and into the new car I got today.

What is the easiest and most practical way to do this and do they have an anti-siphon thingy on it ?

Thanks for reading
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

bt952000 wrote: »
    Hi All

I have a Year 2000 Saab 9-5 automatic which major broke down last week on M1. Anyway , it's towed home and sitting in driveway, yet to be decided what to do with it. Auto Gearbox only shifting up to 3rd and it's been like that for months. Now the oil and battery light came on , lost all power and steering on motorway. Engine makes a funny noise so I guess it's beyond economic repair.. Shame really , nice car in good condition..

Anyway , I had just put €100 euro of petrol into it just before it popped and would really like to get it out and into the new car I got today.

What is the easiest and most practical way to do this and do they have an anti-siphon thingy on it ?

Thanks for reading

Some cars (like my Micra K10) had a bung screw on the bottom of the tank to drain petrol.

However, most cars probably won't have this. Best bet would be to jack up the rear of the car and undo the few bolts securing the tank, carefully remove it and drain the petrol that way. Only real problem doing that is getting petrol into your eyes...

• Registered Users Posts: 36 bt952000

Thanks Max

Might just have to , if you excude the pun , suck it and see !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Well if you are scrapping it you could always punch a hole in the bottom of the tank

• Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Why not just syphon it off the good old fashioned way? Stick in a long piece of garden hose (all the way to the bottom of the tank) then suck hard on the other end of the hose until the petrol reaches your mouth, then put the end of the hose into some large buckets (that are lower than the petrol tank). It will empty the tank for you. Magic! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

unkel wrote: »
    Why not just syphon it off the good old fashioned way? Stick in a long piece of garden hose (all the way to the bottom of the tank) then suck hard on the other end of the hose until the petrol reaches your mouth, then put the end of the hose into some large buckets (that are lower than the petrol tank). It will empty the tank for you. Magic! :D

I was thinking the same thing. Only reason I wouldn't like to do it is that I could guarantee I would end up with a mouth full of petrol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yep not nice. You need several litres of your favourite alcoholic drink to get rid of the taste :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36 bt952000

Indeed !

And no smoking for a while either!

Just thoughtt there may be some wire mesh or a kink in the filler tube to prevent syphoning.

Just have to test it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Woodies DIY sell a siphoning pipe and kit for about €5 if you wish to avoid a mouthful of petrol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Use a clear pipe. You don't need to suck the fuel to the end of the pipe,just have the fuel sucked far enough up the pipe while keeping your thumb over the end to stop it running back. Drop it into your nearby container and away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

johnos1984 wrote: »
    Woodies DIY sell a siphoning pipe and kit for about €5 if you wish to avoid a mouthful of petrol

I got two of these for €4 in mcquillans... Work very well....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭blacktalons

Slidey wrote: »
    Well if you are scrapping it you could always punch a hole in the bottom of the tank
    @g insane? if the tank is metal and he does this, the slighest spark will ignite the petrol resulting in severe burns/injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Imbatman

BDJW wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing. Only reason I wouldn't like to do it is that I could guarantee I would end up with a mouth full of petrol!

spit dont swallow:D

Advertisement