Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric shock from my fish tank

Options
  • 09-02-2011 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭

Was putting a new filter into my tank today as well as moving stuff around a bit. I thought i felt something strange when i put my hand into the water but when my hand was submerged i felt nothing. Turns out i was getting a slight electrical shock off the water. When i put my finger in, i can feel it run up my finger but not when my hand is in. I thought it might have been the filter but it was still there when i plugged it out. After plugging the other stu out, it seems to be coming from the heater. Its the heater that came with the tank so its 3 years old now.

My question is, are my fish getting shocked. Im worried as it will be the weekend before i can replace it. They have shown no ill effects to show there was anything wrong up to now and i dont know how long the problem has been there as i havnt needed to touch the water in ages (the siphon i use is plastic and rubber so it wouldnt have conducted electricity).

The logical side of me is thinking they will be fine, as its on a wooden frame which shouldnt conduct electricity, (and my rummy nosed tetras still have bright red noses so they dont seem to be distressed) and its only when my hand is in the water that the electricity can pass through me to the ground. But im still a bit worried it might be hurting them.

Anyone ever experience this kind of an issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

If you are sure it is coming from your heater replace it asap.I have had it happen to me in the past and all the fish seemed fine and there were no ill effects from it.
    But do not take a chance with electricty and water for the sake of a 20 euro new heater.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Limerick Bandit

Your fish should be grand till the weekend, I have had this happen before. probably a tiny leak in your heater and you will probably see some condensation inside it, just change it as soon as you can and dont forget to plug it out before you go near the tank again.

Advertisement