Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia-Short Term Employment options

Options
  • 09-02-2011 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

Im planning a RTW type trip for September this year, Im starting in S. America and il be making my way to N.Z. for about a month and then on to Australia for anywhere between 3-6 months.

Personally I think I would prefer to live/work in N.Z. but Australia was recommended because of the wages. I like surfing and beaches too so I think il like it there. Anyway il probably only have somewhere around the e3000 mark by the time I arrive and im trying to figure out a budget. Basically the lower my funds the longer il be staying in Australia to work/save for the rest of my trip.

So im wondering how hard it is to find short term work, not pushed about what il be doing or where im doing it, as long as its close to decent surfing beaches. I should be arriving around the middle of March if that has any affect on the type of work available.

How much can I realistically expect to make doing short term/grunt type work? Im thinking bar/restaurant type work would work best for me but as I said im open to anything.

Also wondering how much spending money I would typically need for a month of travelling in Aus compared to a month of living/working where my main aim will be to save?

Thanks....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

OP - what research have you done?
    Have you searched the forum?

You may be surpised to find all these questions have been answered

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

3-6 months is a waste of a WHV

you may not land and walk into a job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

King Cross is always looking for lap dancers :D

Seen an ad in the back of BBM this morning ,aplenty of massage palours looking for back packers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

hussey wrote: »
    OP - what research have you done?
    Have you searched the forum?

You may be surpised to find all these questions have been answered

Yeah I have searched the forums, and I havnt really come up with much info on how much can be made doing basic bar/restaurant work or other such jobs.

Or how much you can live on while your working if saving is your main concern.

Mellor wrote: »
    3-6 months is a waste of a WHV

you may not land and walk into a job

Im never going to Australia for a year so I dont think its a waste of a WHV. I need to work somewhere on the way.

And I dont expect to walk into a job but surely casual work isnt all that hard to find?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

you cant work on a Tourist visa

you cant work on a Tourist visa

Thats why im getting a WHV!

mac123 wrote: »
    Im never going to Australia for a year so I dont think its a waste of a WHV. I need to work somewhere on the way.
    Unless you are 30 or close to, then never sy never. but, maybe you know this for sure.
    And I dont expect to walk into a job but surely casual work isnt all that hard to find?
    If you find work within the first month, you'd be about average I'd say

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

if you are young a Good idea would be to get your 88 Days done now, Like you said you will be coming to Australia to earn money, Why not earen a bit of money and Guarantee yourself the option of returning at a later stage rather than waste the WHV.

As a Bonus you may well be able to find some work on a remote farm where you get Fed and housed, this is a great way to save money as there is nothing you can spend it on ;)

if thats all you want from Australia it should be easy enough.

However once you get here you may find your opinion change very quickly.

Advertisement