Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flora Mini Marathon 2011

• 09-02-2011 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

Hi

Has anyone ever done one of these Marathons and if so, what majority are walkers? I'm interested in doing it but I'm not a jogger or a runner, I do walk a lot, and I'm doing it with a few other people who are interested in walking it. I know it says on the website that you can walk it. Has anyone walked it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

The vast majority are walkers and joggers - so no issues for you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Oleander wrote: »
    Hi Has anyone ever done one of these Marathons and if so, what majority are walkers? I'm interested in doing it but I'm not a jogger or a runner, I do walk a lot, and I'm doing it with a few other people who are interested in walking it. I know it says on the website that you can walk it. Has anyone walked it?

It's 6.2 miles so very walkable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

... Marathons ...

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

For the 10km that you are on about there are a large proportion of people who will be walking so you'll have no problem if that is your intention. Start from the back with the other walkers so that your not in the way of people who want to run the course, and enjoy yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

robinph wrote: »
    AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

For the 10km that you are on about there are a large proportion of people who will be walking so you'll have no problem if that is your intention. Start from the back with the other walkers so that your not in the way of people who want to run the course, and enjoy yourself.

Ha I knew people were going to pick up on that word!

But OP, for info, when you sign up for the mini-marathon, you select whether you are a runner/fast jogger/walker. You get a race number with a particular colour and at the start line there are separate 'pens' for the different colours. The stewards tend to be quite strict about which pen you can enter so don't worry, if you're a walker you'll be in with other walkers. As others have said above, there will be lots more walkers than runners.

Just to add that I've taken part a few times and always enjoyed the atmosphere - hope you do too OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

Thank you all for your feedback, I had no issues with walking it until I mentioned it to my partner and he said 'but it's a marathon - most people will be running' so it got me thinking, maybe we'll be in people's way but yes, we will be putting ourselves down as walkers and I tend to enjoy it, whilst earning a little for charity. Thanks again folks.

• Advertisement

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

What did I say wrong??

Thank you all for your feedback, I had no issues with walking it until I mentioned it to my partner and he said 'but it's a marathon - most people will be running' so it got me thinking, maybe we'll be in people's way but yes, we will be putting ourselves down as walkers and I tend to enjoy it, whilst earning a little for charity. Thanks again folks.

It's not a marathon, far from it, the name 'marathon' is used to generate interest in it. It's a 10k!

Enjoy yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The mini-marathon is 10k, an actual marathon is 42k, and its an important difference :)

Your partner is all kinds of wrong, to be honest - the mini-marathon is not a marathon, plenty of people walk it, and quite a few people walk marathons too :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

What did I say wrong??

I know your just quoting someone else in this particular bit, but this:
    ... 'but it's a marathon ...

...is wrong.

Don't take offence, just some of us around these parts are a bit anal about people referring to certain distances of races as being a marathon. The Flora sponsored event that you are thinking of doing is a 10km or 6.2 mile event. You not the first, you won't be the last, just laugh at the rest of us for being so petty as to get hot under the collar about such things. :D

lol, three people in as many minutes. I reckon the OP has been told.

• Advertisement

mrslow wrote: »
    It's not a marathon, far from it, the name 'marathon' is used to generate interest in it. It's a 10k!

Enjoy yourself.

Blimey - I didn't give it the name!! Thanks, I will enjoy the mini walk!!

RayCun wrote: »
    lol, three people in as many minutes. I reckon the OP has been told.

YES, I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY THE LOOKS OF THINGS!!

hollypink wrote: »
    Ha I knew people were going to pick up on that word!

But OP, for info, when you sign up for the mini-marathon, you select whether you are a runner/fast jogger/walker. You get a race number with a particular colour and at the start line there are separate 'pens' for the different colours. The stewards tend to be quite strict about which pen you can enter so don't worry, if you're a walker you'll be in with other walkers. As others have said above, there will be lots more walkers than runners.

Just to add that I've taken part a few times and always enjoyed the atmosphere - hope you do too OP!

If you're a slow jogger do you start off with the walkers

If this event does generate interest because it has Marathon in it's name then it's all good because most if not all will be raising money for charity. The most I've walked so far in one day is 21km up a mountain carrying stuff so 10km flat walking with no heavy stuff will be no bother. I think my other half was just saying that it will not really be a challenge for me unless I do run it! I've got what I wanted from this thread, sorry if I annoyed you proper runners out there:)

YES, I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY THE LOOKS OF THINGS!!

Please don't think we're being nasty or picking on you.

bluewolf wrote: »

I think you'd start with the joggers, maybe towards the back of that group.

I've got what I wanted from this thread, sorry if I annoyed you proper runners out there:)

Not at all, it's just the whole mini-marathon/marathon thing... we can't help ourselves. It's like being mistaken for being English.

Not that there's anything wrong with being English! But you know the way when you're on holiday and people say "Ah, English!" and you have to immediately correct them...

Not at all, it's just the whole mini-marathon/marathon thing... we can't help ourselves. It's like being mistaken for being English.

Not that there's anything wrong with being English! But you know the way when you're on holiday and people say "Ah, English!" and you have to immediately correct them...

Absolutely no bother at all = but I have actually had enough feedback to answer my original question. Ta.

<robinph lends RayCun a step ladder to help him out of that hole>

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Woundedknee.

Why doesn't anyone whinge when the word Marathon is coupled with Ultra?

• Advertisement

Well, it is the same issue really as ultra means just as little as mini does. But at least they have done a marathon in the process of doing their random distance event.

Well I think a slow jogger would have to start with the walkers because of the colour of your race number. But they classify a fast jogger as someone who's able to show they are capable of doing 10k in under 100 mins if that helps. It's a couple of years since I entered but IIRC you show that by giving them your result from a previous race (e.g. previous year's mini marathon/ Great Ireland run / Aware run etc.) but I'm not quite sure if that's just runners or not - maybe someone else knows?

http://www.womensminimarathon.ie/race_information/2011_race.93.LE.asp
    Timing Chip: All participants will be provided with a Timing Tag and those who enter as Runners or Fast Joggers must wear the Timing Tag. Elite Runners have to produce official results from a race,over the past two years ,showing they are capable of a 10K time under 45 minutes. Other Runners must do likewise to prove a time under 60 mins. Fast Joggers have shown that they are capable of jogging below 100 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Well I think a slow jogger would have to start with the walkers because of the colour of your race number. But they classify a fast jogger as someone who's able to show they are capable of doing 10k in under 100 mins if that helps. It's a couple of years since I entered but IIRC you show that by giving them your result from a previous race (e.g. previous year's mini marathon/ Great Ireland run / Aware run etc.) but I'm not quite sure if that's just runners or not - maybe someone else knows?

Um, to be honest, the first year I did it, I was down as a jogger so went into that group.

The vast majority of people were walking. There was a lot of people who obviously had the "oh yeah, I'll train for it" then never did. So if you're planning to run at all then either get there early and get up the front of the jogging group or put yourself down as a runner.

To be honest, while it's a popular event, I wouldn't do it again in a fit, way too many people and way too packed. If you want to walk/stroll around with your pals and have a laugh then it's great. If you want to go out on the lash the night before and wander round hungover then it's great.

If you want to train and participate in a race, find another one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well, it is the same issue really as ultra means just as little as mini does. But at least they have done a marathon in the process of doing their random distance event.

Random distance event. I like that term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

You've just given me a great idea; the 'insert Sponsor' Mini-Ultra-Marathon;
    something about 13K should do it.

A bit far for you, WK, I would imagine!

and i could walk it for charidee....................:)

(maybe Ultraman would join me)

<robinph lends RayCun a step ladder to help him out of that hole>

<goes back to flicking v-signs behind the sassenach bastard's back>

jb-ski wrote: »
    You've just given me a great idea; the 'insert Sponsor' Mini-Ultra-Marathon;
    something about 13K should do it.

oh, you're way behind the times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I opened that link on a mobile so the browser couldn't fit the full title in the header so to me it read as 'MaxiMarathonKillathon'.

Now that's an event I'd like to be a spectator at !

I've not even done a 5k yet and I certainly haven't done a 10k to time myself. I'll go with the walkers and stand in front I suppose

• Advertisement

I've not even done a 5k yet and I certainly haven't done a 10k to time myself. I'll go with the walkers and stand in front I suppose

I think HardyEustace is right actually so if you can, enter as a fast jogger not a walker. You're doing the c25k right? So you're really not a walker! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Last year for a runner number (sub-60 mins) you had to prove you had done any race in less than 9:30/mile pace. I couldn't find the results online for my last 10k while I was signing up, so used my 40 minute 5 mile time from the Raheny 5. For the fast jogger numbers, you had to prove you had completed a 10k in under 90 minutes - which some people would have ended up getting by run/walking the Great Ireland Run.

If you get a runner number and can get close to the front, it's a pretty good course for a PB - quite flat and open and the only real hill is Nutley Lane. If it's your first 10k or you're walking, the atmosphere makes it a lot of fun. Otherwise, meh. I'd rather do Cork on the same weekend. I dislike the 10k distance :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

first year i got in , entered the joggers but got a number for the sub 60 minutes on registration by a really sound fella , got their early , just a row or two down from the elites and still managed to get caught behind people walking , couldnt even get between these two people at one stage cause they were holding hand !!!! got a few dirty looks for tryin to pass people that were crawlin along , it was sub 60min for feck sake , ya gotta move it a bit ! fair enough if you want to walk or jog but just pic the right section

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Seres wrote: »
    first year i got in , entered the joggers but got a number for the sub 60 minutes on registration by a really sound fella , got their early , just a row or two down from the elites and still managed to get caught behind people walking , couldnt even get between these two people at one stage cause they were holding hand !!!! got a few dirty looks for tryin to pass people that were crawlin along , it was sub 60min for feck sake , ya gotta move it a bit ! fair enough if you want to walk or jog but just pic the right section

I've done this a few times with different charities as a walker/jogger before I got addicted to running. Many different people advised us that if we weren't interested in chip timing that the trick was to wait along the first bend past the maternity hospital and just join in as soon as the first few runners past! This way they could could skip any queues and the messy start. Hence you get plenty of walkers joining as the first few elites past.

Must add I never did this because I always liked to know how crap my time was but know plenty who did.

Like RK said though it is a good course for a PB but at the end of the day it is a fun run for most.

Blimey - I didn't give it the name!! Thanks, I will enjoy the mini walk!!

It's not elitism, for me to run 26.2 miles last year involved 18 weeks of training, lots of pain and several trips to the physio. When I rang my mother to tell her I had completed it she said 'Oh am well done, Susan in work ran a marathon too' turns out Susan ran the women's mini marathon, you can imagine how quickly I educated her.:)

^ That is seriously bad form if the people from the charities were advising people to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

shazkea wrote: »
    I've done this a few times with different charities as a walker/jogger before I got addicted to running. Many different people advised us that if we weren't interested in chip timing that the trick was to wait along the first bend past the maternity hospital and just join in as soon as the first few runners past! This way they could could skip any queues and the messy start. Hence you get plenty of walkers joining as the first few elites past.

Must add I never did this because I always liked to know how crap my time was but know plenty who did.

Like RK said though it is a good course for a PB but at the end of the day it is a fun run for most.

If you want to run sub 60 minutes, be prepared to spend the first 2K elbowing your way past walkers holding hands, its a complete mess.

Never again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

The instances listed above are a few of the many reasons why I will never do this race again.

I think it's a great fund raiser for charity.
    I think it does get people who don't do ANY exercise out walking.
    I think it's very accessible for people who have no history of racing/jogging/running.

I don't think it's a race to train for if you're serious about running.
    I don't think it's safe for a runner as there are so many people who are just CLUELESS about race safety or etiquette.
    I don't think it's a suitable race if you plan on going faster than a walk.

A friend of mine ran from the elite section* one year and said that the first 5k consisted of exhausting and frustrating dodging the "bags of monster munch" brigade who were hurtling barriers from the first corner onwards to "avoid the crush".

*[clarification] and was fully entitled to

^ That is seriously bad form if the people from the charities were advising people to do that.

I think people zone in on the name and while it's a tremendous achievement for someone running the distance for the first time, they should be aware it doesn't resemble a marathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

This was never said officially from a charity but more of a tip on the day from loads of people in a wink, wink, nudge, nudge type of way!
    The instances listed above are a few of the many reasons why I will never do this race again.

I think it's a great fund raiser for charity.
    I think it does get people who don't do ANY exercise out walking.
    I think it's very accessible for people who have no history of racing/jogging/running.

I don't think it's a race to train for if you're serious about running.
    I don't think it's safe for a runner as there are so many people who are just CLUELESS about race safety or etiquette.
    I don't think it's a suitable race if you plan on going faster than a walk.

A friend of mine ran from the elite section* one year and said that the first 5k consisted of exhausting and frustrating dodging the "bags of monster munch" brigade who were hurtling barriers from the first corner onwards to "avoid the crush".

*[clarification] and was fully entitled to

+1000 on both the pros and cons of this marathon (she says stirring!).

But in fairness this race is what got me interested in running so I suppose I can't knock it too much. IMO it's kinda like a stepping stone to a new pastime/lifestyle similar to what the Operation Transformation race is.

IMO it's kinda like a stepping stone to a new pastime/lifestyle similar to what the Operation Transformation race is.
    I'd be inclined to agree with that. There's been some talk of it in tLL lately (no thread yet though) - a few people using it as something to get them motivated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Many different people advised us that if we weren't interested in chip timing that the trick was to wait along the first bend past the maternity hospital and just join in as soon as the first few runners past! This way they could could skip any queues and the messy start. Hence you get plenty of walkers joining as the first few elites past.

Tut tut! :rolleyes:
    I have a love/hate relationship with this race. It is a great course and there is a great atmosphere, but it is so frustrating if you are trying to run it... no matter where you start, you will end up having to avoid walkers. I mean last year, I had to jump on a footpath to avoid a group of umbrella holding walkers at about the 9k mark!!!! :rolleyes:

This year, I want to do it, I'll be up the front (horay for me :D) but yet, I don't want to do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

Hi OP,

I did the Flora mini marathon last year for the first time.
    Ive always been a walker, never a jogger/runner and i thought it'd be great for my chosen charity (which you can choose ANY whatsoever...even for a relative if ill).

My friend did it with me and we speed walked the whole 10km and made it in 1 hour and 15 mins.

It was a wet, dull day but thousands had so much fun.
    Most of the people who do the marathon are walkers and just stroll, we even saw people smoke while strolling...which IMO was inappropriate (due to most charities being cancer ones).

But go do it and have a great day.

GOOD LUCK!

Bubs99 wrote: »
    we even saw people smoke while strolling...which IMO was inappropriate (due to most charities being cancer ones)!
    You'll see a frightening amount of people smoking outside McDonald's in charity t-shirts on Mini-Marathon day :pac:

jcsmum - come down to Cork that day and do the full or half, or else we'll get a relay team together :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

jcsmum - come down to Cork that day and do the full or half, or else we'll get a relay team together :)

If I was to go to Cork, I'd actually prefer to do the full. I'd like to do another marathon before DCM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

But in fairness this race is what got me interested in running so I suppose I can't knock it too much. IMO it's kinda like a stepping stone to a new pastime/lifestyle similar to what the Operation Transformation race is.

+1
    this was the first 10k for lots of my (female!) running buddies, many who are now experienced marathon runners.

jcsmum wrote: »
    If I was to go to Cork, I'd actually prefer to do the full. I'd like to do another marathon before DCM.

You should totally do Cork - just over 16 weeks to go, loads of time to train and you'll destroy 4 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

You should totally do Cork - just over 16 weeks to go, loads of time to train and you'll destroy 4 hours.

Oh jees, even I'm getting tempted now! Not sure I've blocked last years race fully out of my mind yet though...

I am interested in this Cork you speak of;) tell me more...

mrslow wrote: »
    I am interested in this Cork you speak of;) tell me more...

Cork thread hither :pac:

Advertisement