Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to volunteer

Options
  • 09-02-2011 6:01pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Thinking of volunteering but not sure where to start?
    Then this thread is for you, to help you begin your search and in making a decision.
    A few basic things to think about to start off with if you want to volunteer:
    1 What general area of volunteering would you like to get into?
    2 What skills do you have that could be of use to a voluntary organisation and the work they do?
    3 How much time and how regularly can you commit yourself to?
    4 Where can you get to and is there a voluntary organisation with potential openings in that locality?

One of the things that may seem counter-intuitive (not make sense) is that just because you want to volunteer your time and effort freely it does not necessarily mean an organisation will be able to take you on as a volunteer. It may take time and considerable effort to finally find the right fit for you with a voluntary organisation. Some may recruit once a year, some may not be able to take on any extra volunteers to work and some may require certain skills only. It would not be a good thing to be taken on just for the sake of it so if you do find it harder than you thought, just remember there is a second side to volunteering; the organisations who take on volunteers and what their needs are in their work at a given time.

It may also take some time to actually begin volunteering as some positions require training and others may require going through the Garda vetting process.

There are many things to be said for volunteering and how important it is to the community, whether that be the local, national or international community. Volunteers help provide vital services for some of the most vulnerable people in the community, they provide the backbone of sporting organisations and many internet fora, they enhance important services to the community from emergency services to animal welfare and volunteers make a meaningful difference to Irish society and internationally. It does require hard work but if you can put the effort into it, you won't get paid but you can gain rich, fulfilling experiences along the way. You enhance community spirit.

You may find useful the search function of the Volunteerism forum in looking for threads on specific topics to read through for more detail on different volunteer sectors.

If anyone who would like to add their take to help people starting out on the road to volunteering please do.
    Good Luck with your volunteering!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 EddieMush

Hi I was just wondering if anyone knows of any volunteer positions available in Dublin . Finding it very hard to find using the volunteer websites . Open to most things as long as easily commutable and for good cause . Thank you in advance !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭lorsric

Hey,
    You need to be proactive about finding a place, was in the same situation when I first started - look in freesheets (eg. Herald Metro) for mention of organisations, also, church newsletters are good, also, keep an eye out while walking about. Also, simply phone up and ask them, they will direct you best.
    Also, know what skills you are bringing to whatever organisation you choose.
    Be aware that some organisations will also ask you to fill out a Garda check form, so don't be offended by this - they do this for any organisation where minors, or anyone who may be vulgnerable is involved. I've had so many checks done (simply standard practice)
    Another cool resource is - the Wheel - go online, check it out and put in where you are looking to volunteer and the type of work, the vast majority of charities are on here.

Also, feel free to PM me, I will try and help you further.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Volunteering Ireland
    As part of the European Year of Volunteering 2011, the Dublin City North Volunteer Centre will host a public talk, ‘This is the Year to Volunteer’, in the Central ILAC Library, Dublin on 20th April from 6 pm - 7 pm. You will be able to find out what are the current opportunities for anyone interested in volunteering in the city centre and North Dublin area and ask all the questions which you might have! All are welcome and no RSVP is requested.

Do something for yourself….Volunteer!
    If you can make it, that should be informative.
    There are quite a few threads in the volunteerism forum that describe various organisations and volunteering work so have a read through to see what interests you and try contacting the organisations directly. It may take some time to actually start volunteering so be patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭m-a-i-

EddieMush wrote: »
    Hi I was just wondering if anyone knows of any volunteer positions available in Dublin . Finding it very hard to find using the volunteer websites . Open to most things as long as easily commutable and for good cause . Thank you in advance !

Hi http://www.volunteer.ie is the site that I use for looking for somewhere to volunteer. Its kinda like a jobs site and pretty great website to work around.

Hope this helps

Hey,
    Why is it that you have to register on volunteer.ie for your area, can look at all the volunteer opportunities and then are prevented from applying for them, if they are not "your volunteer area/centre"?

Surely if someone wants to volunteer, they should be able to anywhere?

Maybe I am not clicking on things correctly?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 acwxx

lorsric wrote: »
    Hey,
    Why is it that you have to register on volunteer.ie for your area, can look at all the volunteer opportunities and then are prevented from applying for them, if they are not "your volunteer area/centre"?

Surely if someone wants to volunteer, they should be able to anywhere?

Maybe I am not clicking on things correctly?

It is so that the national figures reflect the level of volunteers in each area. There is a way round it. If you register with the volunteer centre in the area that your opportunity of interest is located, you can give a fake address. Volunteer centres contact people by email and phone and never by post if they can avoid it. I know, I used to work in one!

I have been on to various centres, and asked to be included in separate area databases, so thanks for the suggestion, but took the honesty route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Funny_Bones

HI,

I really want to get involved in some volunteer work for a few months. I live near Maynooth. Does anyone know anywhere i could help for one or two evening a week. I'm a qualified teacher and very sporty but i'm willing to attempt help with anything.

Thanks

volunteerkildare.ie Try contacting the local volunteer centre. Alternatively you could look through a list of voluntary organisations and see which ones you might be interested in helping out and which ones would be close enough to you.
    directory wheel.ie and pdf directory of voluntary organisations
    wheel.ie list of umbrella type organsations that could be a stepping stone to a suitable organisation
    To volunteer with a sporting organisation try contacting the local club or alternatively go through the national website of the sporting organisation.

<threads merged>

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭deiselack

Hi all, I hope I've posted in the right place. I've recently started an animal welfare course (part-time, as I work full time) but It's near impossible to find anywhere in Waterford City or surrounding area's to volunteer to work with animals. I've rang vet clinic's, copper coast farm, dog shelters etc..either they don't take volunteers or the phone just constantly rings out :mad::mad:

Does anybody have any idea's of where else I can try please?

• Advertisement

deiselack wrote: »
    Hi all, I hope I've posted in the right place. I've recently started an animal welfare course (part-time, as I work full time) but It's near impossible to find anywhere in Waterford City or surrounding area's to volunteer to work with animals. I've rang vet clinic's, copper coast farm, dog shelters etc..either they don't take volunteers or the phone just constantly rings out :mad::mad:

Does anybody have any idea's of where else I can try please?
    You may have already tried but they might know somewhere to go: Waterford dog shelter Waterford Spca
    Waterford partnership has a number of positions but i don't see an animal-related positions.

Advertisement