Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia scales back Meego plans?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭stonybroke

Reckon they'll switch to Android

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

They would wanna do something drastically because with their phones lately and their buggy FW they are ruining themselves.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I don't think they'll ditch meego. I think they want to create an ecosystem rather than use someone else's. What ever they do I just hope they sort themselves out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

I have a feeling they will take win 7 instead of Android spoke to a Nokia rep one time and she nearly bit my head off when I suggested them going android.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

The smart money seems to be on a WP7 announcement on Friday alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

My moneys on WP7.

Id rather also see WP7. I moved from Android to WP7 and i think it was a well worth move! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Symbian was great when it came out, then it grew old fast. I used to genuinely spend 1k on a new Nokia every year - the n90, the n93i, the Luna, the first Communicator - Nokia were cutting edge, and I always thought I'd be loyal to them.

I can't believe how out of touch they grew. Not only did Symbian deserve to die a long long time ago, but they planned to change it to Maemo, then a name change to Meego (Possibly, the worst name they could have come up with, it sounds like Tarzan), and now discussions about Windows Phone 7 - which lets face it will always be the lame duck in the smartphone OS market.

I've an iPhone 4, and yes I like it. But you know what I'd switch it for in the morning? A powerful Nokia handset with their usual great hardware, running Android. I think a lot of other people would too.

how would it be a lame duck? its not windows mobile. Its a completely new OS and great usability. Its clean and simple

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Most of the Gadget sites who have used it don't really rate it in comparisson to iOS/Android. The phrase 'do we need another os' has been thrown around a lot. I've watched the demo video of WP7 - it looks corporate, official, boring. I'm sure it's functional, but it's not ... engaging for want of a better word.

I think Nokia who are going to have to fight for market share in this decade are doing the wrong thing by not having an operating system which is full of eye candy, toys, and allure for users potentially thinking of a Nokia/Android mashup.

Of course that's only my opinion, and is worth feck all - but I don't think WP7 is the positive step Nokia think they're taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

I think we can safely assume they will NOT be going with Android anyway! :D
    http://www.slashgear.com/google-vp-snipes-at-nokia-with-turkey-trash-talk-09132032/

• Advertisement

Oh yeah and iOS and Android isnt boring? I spent time with each and guess what. The most boring UI is Android. Then comes iOS with sea of boring app icons.

And yes we do need another OS. Personaly i dont want to go for Apple and im sick of Android.

Even today people in Ireland dont know what Android is. Tell them its Windows and they will know :) Thats the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Most of the Gadget sites who have used it don't really rate it in comparisson to iOS/Android. The phrase 'do we need another os' has been thrown around a lot. I've watched the demo video of WP7 - it looks corporate, official, boring. I'm sure it's functional, but it's not ... engaging for want of a better word.

What gadget sites were these because the ones I read had a completely different reaction? I've no idea how you consider MS's tiled UI approach as looking corporate.

Guess its official. Nokia will be using WP7 ad their primary smartphone OS

Advertisement