Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Full Service

• 09-02-2011 6:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭

So looking at getting my 1.6 diesel serviced. What would I be expected to pay? I have been quoted 300 but would do it for 280 and 320-345 in another dealer.

Are those prices good for a full service?

Those who say do it yourself, I would but I wouldnt be as confident doing it.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

€109 :D Ring Lyons and ask about "value service" or "fixed menu servicing".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Need full service Henry - Lyons were the expensive of the two

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭AzureAuto

What car do you drive Mr. Mc Love?
    300 for a full service (i.e. manufacturer spec oil grade and filter, pollen filter, air filter and fuel filter as well as the other bits sounds a little pricey...but depends on year and make etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Did you ring Dooly's in Tipp town?

AzureAuto wrote: »
    What car do you drive Mr. Mc Love?
    300 for a full service (i.e. manufacturer spec oil grade and filter, pollen filter, air filter and fuel filter as well as the other bits sounds a little pricey...but depends on year and make etc.
    08 Focus
    alexmcred wrote: »
    Did you ring Dooly's in Tipp town?

Nope didnt call them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

I service my own diesel. If its the full service (all filters etc), the total parts (for my 1.9 golf) is about 60-70 euro.

I'd imagine yours would be in the same ballpark.

To be honest, in an independent garage, I'd expect to pay around 200 but definitely not more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Mc Love wrote: »
    So looking at getting my 1.6 diesel serviced. What would I be expected to pay? I have been quoted 300 but would do it for 280 and 320-345 in another dealer.

Are those prices good for a full service?

Those who say do it yourself, I would but I wouldnt be as confident doing it.

The price of the service you need depends on how many kms you have on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

Hi,

Try these guys for a quote,they are open saturdays for servicing which is handy.

http://www.ryanmotorpower.com

Prices starting at €120 inc vat for the bronze €165 for the Silver and €195 for the Gold.

I have no connection to them except get my car serviced there as it is cheaper than the cork garages.

Regards,
    Kmb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Make sure for your "full service" that you are getting pricing for an oil+filter change, air filter change, pollen filter change, brake fluid change, spark plug change, these are the jobs where all required I'd consider a full service, some places have a €99 full service that includes the oil and filter and that's it.

Also factor in that your car may need brake pads and or discs which could easily add €300 on to the price if required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Make sure for your "full service" that you are getting pricing for an oil+filter change, air filter change, pollen filter change, brake fluid change, spark plug change, these are the jobs where all required I'd consider a full service, some places have a €99 full service that includes the oil and filter and that's it.

Also factor in that your car may need brake pads and or discs which could easily add €300 on to the price if required.

A full service is whatever is required by the manufacturer based on the year and mileage. On modern cars a 'full service' does not consist of any fixed number of items.

Anywhere properly doing servicing offers will have them starting at €99

€99 is usually for a standard up to 1.0 car where oil/air/plugs and inspection are due every 10k

Like I said, modern cars require different items to be service at different mileages, so the price for a service for the OP's focus as an example depends entirely on year, mileage and service history.

• Advertisement

His is a diesel so he'll be wanting a fuel filter instead of plugs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

The OP should know themselves if brakes need doing - it’s a diesel so no plugs and I have never heard of changing brake fluid for a full service. (Including brake bleeding??)
    I could be wrong but I doubt it is included in the quote’s that the OP got.

@OP - If I am not mistaken that 1.6 PSA Diesel is very particular about the correct oil. In fact they recomend a correct engine temp. to get the old oil out. It would be worth making sure that whatever garage you go to has the correct spec oil and that it will be done as per the manufacturer's recommendation. It will stand to your car in the long run.

33k mileage on her. Low enough on a car under 3 years old

cadaliac wrote: »
    @OP - If I am not mistaken that 1.6 PSA Diesel is very particular about the correct oil. In fact they recomend a correct engine temp. to get the old oil out. It would be worth making sure that whatever garage you go to has the correct spec oil and that it will be done as per the manufacturer's recommendation. It will stand to your car in the long run.

I think Plug posted the draining procedure for them, it's essential to allow the oil to drain out and before the sump is open the filter contents must be drained out too. No suction device should be used. Nothing weird or unusual though :)

Booked in looks like I dont need fuel filter change - 149

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Happy days for a full service tbh.

Looks like an oil, oil filter, air filter change and a glance at all the levels, brake pads and shocks. In fairness they aren't robbing you at all though :) If the original fuel filter is in place I would get it changed though.

They told me on the phone that the fuel filter is about 76 euro and doesnt need changing.

RoverJames wrote: »
    Looks like an oil, oil filter, air filter change and a glance at all the levels, brake pads and shocks. In fairness they aren't robbing you at all though :) If the original fuel filter is in place I would get it changed though.

If I could have gotten the AA service I would have but they only service vehicles in Dublin :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Have you had your brake fluid changed?

It will be due every two years (often coinciding with the full service).

Don't skimp on it, it's a false saving to leave it undone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

-Chris- wrote: »

Even if not chaning it, it's wise to get the guys to check the boiling temperature of brake fluid with special device.
    Then at least you will know how good is your fluid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

-Chris- wrote: »

Is it really important Chris??. I must get it done my wifes car has 70k and is nearly 3 years old. My own battle axe has 292k and has not being done yet...

Having worked in a factors for more than a few years in my younger days the amount of brake fluid sold relative to the amount of full services done is tiny. I would at a guess reckon that 50% of cars on the road that are over 4 years old have never had the brake fluid changed, and a huge amount of them never will. Not saying it's right or wrong.

OP, I'd really do some googling on the fuel filter, 33K miles is a lot of diesel to be filtering.

Brake fluid is hydroscopic and so can absorb water which can corrode parts and reduce the boiling point.
    You won't know you have trouble until you actually get in trouble (unless a mechanic spots an issue and points it out to you).

I don't know a manufacturer who doesn't recommend changing brake fluid every two years, regardless of mileage done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Is it really important Chris??. I must get it done my wifes car has 70k and is nearly 3 years old. My own battle axe has 292k and has not being done yet...

New brake fluid should have boiling tempeature of way over 200 degrees Celcius. Most likely 260 or even over.

With time (and mileage) it absorbs water, and it's boiling temperature fall down. I'd say if fluid was used for 5 maybe 6 years, the temp can fall as low as 140 - 130 degrees.

Obviously if you drive up to 50 km/h in the town, and mostly slowdown using your engine and gears, you won't even know the difference.

But if you are driving on the motorway, and will try to do emergency braking from 140km/h to 0, you might loose your brakes in the meantime, if the fluid boils.
    Even worse situation is if you are driving in the mountain area and going downhill. Obviously good driving practice is that on downhills you don't use brake but slow down with gears,. but that can't always be the case.

If the fluid boils, then it will change into gas, and compreess leaving your without the brakes for a while.

If during severe braking you can feel that your brake pedal falls down even a small bit, that might be the indication that fluid needs to be changed.

True, however the brake system is a closed system, there isn't much water to absorb. Would be a good idea for a new thread really, how often do folks change their brake fluid. I've never done it or had it done, I had one car for 5 years and then was 6 when I bought it, I reckon she was on her original brake fluid.

According to the service record that came with the ZT she got a brake fluid change at her first full service at 24400 miles, that was at an MG Rover main stealer. Next time it's done I won't be the owner.

Would be a good idea for a new thread really, how often do folks change their brake fluid.

Done! :D
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056177460

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

This is a link to the full break-down of every fords service details/work requirements:

http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do?#

and click on the link "If you do not have a VIN or registration number then click here" at the bottom to select the car manually

Its in miles.

Its all 99% DIY with basic tools

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

True, however the brake system is a closed system, there isn't much water to absorb. Would be a good idea for a new thread really, how often do folks change their brake fluid. I've never done it or had it done, I had one car for 5 years and then was 6 when I bought it, I reckon she was on her original brake fluid.

According to the service record that came with the ZT she got a brake fluid change at her first full service at 24400 miles, that was at an MG Rover main stealer. Next time it's done I won't be the owner.

Seals fails as rubber deteriorates over time. Flexible hoses, slave/master cylinder, and the callipers themselves.

An emergency stop from motorway speed is unlikely to boil even badly contaminated brake fluid.

• Advertisement

mullingar wrote: »
    This is a link to the full break-down of every fords service details/work requirements:

http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do?# and click on the link at the bottom to select the car manually

Its in miles.

Its all 99% DIY with basic tools

According to that the diesel filter should be drained every service and changed at 3 years or 37500 miles. They also recommend the brake fluid to be changed every two years :pac:

Advertisement