Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical Interference with laptop

Options
  • 09-02-2011 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭

Recently got a new set of monitors and get terrible electric interference if the laptop is plugged into the powersupply, I am hoping to use my laptop for production, the problem is my battery is only about 2.5 3 hours at best, cant afford a mac, just wondering is there any way around this,

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Might be just cables crossing over each other. Make sure to clear cables going to the monitors etc of each other and see is still get interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

This is a ground loop problem.

What you need to do is get one of those multisocket adaptors. You know the ones that are like a block with 3 sockets.

Snap the earth pin off the adaptor, stick the laptop power supply in that and then stick that into the wall, you might need a gold tee or something simililar to push in the earth on the main supply in order to push the adaptor in.

I used to have to do this before i switched to mac, another way i did it was to jam the main earth supply with a twix wrapper then stick the psu of the laptop in over the top

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

SteveDon wrote: »
    another way i did it was to jam the main earth supply with a twix wrapper then stick the psu of the laptop in over the top
    :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

SteveDon wrote: »
    This is a ground loop problem.

What you need to do is get one of those multisocket adaptors. You know the ones that are like a block with 3 sockets.

Snap the earth pin off the adaptor, stick the laptop power supply in that and then stick that into the wall, you might need a gold tee or something simililar to push in the earth on the main supply in order to push the adaptor in.

I used to have to do this before i switched to mac, another way i did it was to jam the main earth supply with a twix wrapper then stick the psu of the laptop in over the top

Sound problem solved, I got a multisocket adapter opened up the plug on it and disconnected the earth wire, then pluged the laptop charger plug into thmultisocket then into main power,.................................I hope this is safe? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Just to jump in and say: this isn't safe, but it works.

Watch out for "static" build-up on the equipment, you'll feel it. Also, plug the thing in the "right" way periodically (maybe after every few hours of work) and you should get away with it.

So yeah, it's risky. But it's one way of isolating a ground loop. I use it myself from time to time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cbalz

this can be fixed with either one of two ways.
    1. you need to buy a ground loop isolator & install that

2. Check the charger on your laptop, if it has 3 pins & is grounded, open it up and cut the earth wire

Problem solved

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

Thanks for all the advice people, think im gonna get a ground loop isolator just to be safe

Advertisement