Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with my time in Qld

Options
  • 09-02-2011 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

I am heading for QLD in May for a few weeks from Ireland , was planning on flying into Brisbane, my purpose is to find work and an employer to sponsor me as it just takes too long for a skilled visa, I am in the construction trade with about 15 yrs experience mainly as a dryliner (partitioning and ceiling fixing) I have had 20 men work for me at the one time, I would be probably be looking more for a foreman roll but I won't be too fussy I want to move my wife and two young kids with one on the way to the QLD area , so just to ask anyone that can help what areas are busy out there and what would be my chances of getting an employer to sponsor me? I will be trying to.arrange for interviews for when I arrive in May. Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 studioguest

I am heading for QLD in May for a few weeks from Ireland , was planning on flying into Brisbane, my purpose is to find work and an employer to sponsor me as it just takes too long for a skilled visa, I am in the construction trade with about 15 yrs experience mainly as a dryliner (partitioning and ceiling fixing) I have had 20 men work for me at the one time, I would be probably be looking more for a foreman roll but I won't be too fussy I want to move my wife and two young kids with one on the way to the QLD area , so just to ask anyone that can help what areas are busy out there and what would be my chances of getting an employer to sponsor me? I will be trying to.arrange for interviews for when I arrive in May. Any help greatly appreciated.

I seen an ad in one of the national papers in the last 2 weeks from a company in Oz looking for dryliners! I can't remember which one..If i do I will get back to you..

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Theimprover

I seen an ad in one of the national papers in the last 2 weeks from a company in Oz looking for dryliners! I can't remember which one..If i do I will get back to you..

That would be great if you could, thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

have you checked your eligibility??

have you checked your eligibility??

I don't have any formal qualifications but i do know i can do a 1 day assessment which is pretty expensive, my plan would be to try and get sponsored and if i can i would not need to do this as my work experience would do as i have a lot of experience in both on the tools and as a foreman/supervisor with proof of all this with plenty of references.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Goodluck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭coldfeet

Best of Luck, all I can add is the majority of people I know that are sponsored came on the WHV, started with an employer for 6 months, proved there worth to the company and outa that got offered sponsorship. To be honest I dont know anybody who walked up to an interview and got sponsored from it. The option may have been raised but all dependent on a trial period of work 3 - 6months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

coldfeet wrote: »
    Best of Luck, all I can add is the majority of people I know that are sponsored came on the WHV, started with an employer for 6 months, proved there worth to the company and outa that got offered sponsorship. To be honest I dont know anybody who walked up to an interview and got sponsored from it. The option may have been raised but all dependent on a trial period of work 3 - 6months.
    Unless the OP started work on the sites at 14 (possible) this won't be an option. He has 15 years experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭coldfeet

ballooba wrote: »
    Unless the OP started work on the sites at 14 (possible) this won't be an option. He has 15 years experience.

Good point, I suppose he could look into getting sponsorship helping with the repair work in QLD after the floods. Not sure if QLD does state sponsorship

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Ya can try OP, but unqualified and over 30 I wouldnt hold out too much hope:(

Thanks for the replies but with regards to me having no formal qualifications I do have a lot of exp, so I would be hoping that would stand to me, at the of the day I suppose its all about proving you're self and having a bit of luck, I spoke with a friend of mine today who is living in Brisbane and as he said they just don't have the man power to handle all the work and especially now with all the flood damage, so here's hoping I can pick up a sponsor

• Advertisement
Advertisement