Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple quotes? Advice

Options
  • 09-02-2011 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

I have seen posts which have 4 other posts quoted in it. I can only seem to do one quote.

Anyone help me on this?
    And when i want just one line out of a post how do i do this,when i try it i doesnt come up in the quote box

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

On the bottom right of every post is the "Multi-quote" button.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Ev84

bungler wrote: »

when i want just one line out of a post how do i do this,when i try it i doesnt come up in the quote box

I had this same problem a while ago, took me a bit to figure out being a newbie an all but if you click on quote, then delete all of the info you do not want and leave the bit that you want to use. be sure to leave the "quote=username;numbers" at the top and "quote" at the bottom. hope that helps, works for me anyway as you can see...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

Ev84 wrote: »
    I had this same problem a while ago,QUOTE]

Awww it didnt work

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

If you want to quote multiple posts then click the multiquote_off.gif button on each post that you want to include and then hit reply.gif at the end.

If you want to break a quote into different parts then do the following:
    [noparse]
    Leave the opening quote tag alone and put [/quote] where you want the first bit to end:
    I have seen posts which have 4 other posts quoted in it. I can only seem to do one quote.

Type the reply to the first bit here.

Add a
    tag to the beginning of the next part so it looks like this:
    Anyone help me on this?
    And when i want just one line out of a post how do i do this,when i try it i doesnt come up in the quote box

Type the reply to the next bit here.

The important thing to remember is each section you want to quote must start with
    and end with

If you're wondering how I posted that, I used "noparse" tags so the above would not get processed into quotes.

[/noparse]
    So in effect the above will come out like:
    Type the reply to the first bit here.
    Anyone help me on this?
    Type the reply to the next bit here.
    [noparse]
    Finally, when you're done, hit the "Preview Post" button to see if it worked, if it looks wrong it's normally because you missed a
    tag somewhere or got
    and
    mixed up. Go back and edit the mistake and preview it again until you're happy.

In your post above, it didn't work because you ended with "quote]" instead of "[/quote]".
    [/noparse]

Hope that helps.:)

My fault for the confusion, I should have been clearer. @Bungler, I didn't mean for you to type word-for-word what i typed ("quote"). I should have said you need to leave them the way they are.

I originally tried to type it the way it is shown to help you but i just ended up quoting what i was saying in my reply so i had to go back and edit it... ha ha i had to word it differently so it would not turn into a quotation...

what Steve said should steer you right again...

@Steve. I WAS actually wondering how you did that because when i tried it i was just quoting myself ha ha thanks for the "no parse" info.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

I have seeen posts which have 4 other posts quoted in it. I can only seem to do one quote.

Whoooo hooo it worked, thanks for your help guys im 3 years on boards trying to figure that out

Whoooo hooo it worked, thanks for your help guys im 3 years on boards trying to figure that out

That's your "learn something new every day" for today :D:D:D

I understand what your dilemma was now properly. You needed to know how to quote a line of a post through a "quick reply".

When i need just one line of a post quoted i just click on the quote button at the bottom right of post, delete whatever text i don't need and leave the quote tags alone and thats it. done.

You now know how to do it manually thanks to Steve. well done.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Glad to help :)

Advertisement