Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some trouble at that match tonight?

Options
  • 09-02-2011 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭

I just got texted by a few people saying there was trouble in Sandymount, Dublin between a group of Nordie fans and a few locals, anyone hear anything? (I hear lots of sirens nearby)

On the plus side, I walked passed a few Nordie fans drinking outside 2 pubs in Irishtown, Dublin and all seems peaceful so far, unthinkable years ago and yet no Garda presence(just in case)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

If this turns into a soccer related bitchfest there will be bannings

First and only warning

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭RoastBeefDinner

Yeah saw a group of them today outside the RDS at about 2:30. They were already well oiled and looking for trouble. They were also busy taking photographs of themselves with the local bicycle gardai.
    Dont think they get out much tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Marco85

killings after the game with the northies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

NI fans buses were parked at the top of Sean Moore rd, most went down orderly to the stadium but a few(about 30) marched with a drum singing 'stick the tricolour up your a** and either they did it deliberate or were misguided, walked into Bremen rd housing estate in Irishtown. Couldn't believe it but the Gardai quickly turned them back.

What i posted above was that some people were saying there was trouble in a pub, might have been Doyle's(old Irishtown House) and also a couple of Scottish fans I know felt a bit intimidated from NI fans at the stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Oul lad in his sixties that I know was beaten up by nordies at the match, bunch of subhuman skidmarks.

• Advertisement

Here's the take from the Herald about it quoting residents and politicians on what happened.
    http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/ni-fans-buoyant-before-a-minority-clashed-with-gardai-2533967.html
    GARDAI in full riot gear descended on Dublin 4 last night as Union Jack clad loyalists caused mayhem on the streets.

The shocking scenes have sparked increased security for Ireland's clash with Northern Ireland on May 23.

Thousands of hardline Unionists forced pubs and businesses to close early and had residents running for their homes as they stirred up a tense atmosphere in D4.

Some fans were involved in a stand-off with riot gardai, who managed to contain the group, as they spat anti-Irish chants and yelled obscenities at passers-by.

The scenes, reminiscent of the 1995 mayhem when English fans forced the abandonment of an Ireland-England match, took place before last night's Carling Home Nations Cup match between Northern Ireland and Scotland.

From early, boozed-up soccer fans caused mayhem in the heart of the leafy suburb as they took to the streets for a lengthy, out-of-control drinking session.

Hours before the game, thousands of fans began streaming into Dublin from the North, by car, train and bus.

Labour councillor Kevin Humphreys told the Herald residents he spoke to afterwards were "very upset and distressed" by the experience.

Aggression

"There was a proportion of the fans who really had an excess of alcohol," said Cllr Humphreys. "It made it very uncomfortable for local residents. There was an air of aggression in some places.

Wrapped in Union Jack and Red Hand of Ulster flags, the supporters spent more than four hours downing alcohol on the streets singing the provocative 'Sash' and 'God Save The Queen', ahead of the game against Scotland.

Locals trying to make their way home from work watched in horror as rowdy louts spiralled out of control, almost sparking full scale riots.

At one point, they were heard chanting: "Stick your f**king tricolour up your h*le," as well as 'God Saves the Queen' and the Dambusters March.

Vanloads of gardai wearing riot gear were called to Bath Avenue after dozens of complaints from concerned residents trapped in their homes.

Pubs along the leafy road were forced to close up early as dozens of gardai patrolled the area in a bid to keep the supporters in check.

Hundreds converged outside Murray's pub, beating Lambeg drums and ripping down election posters. A garda member at the scene told the Herald how they were "monitoring the situation." A spokesman for the Garda said today no arrests were made but the "whole idea is to have a presence there with a view to curtailing (public order) activity".

Mr Humphreys questioned whether another game involving Northern Ireland should be staged at the Aviva until there is an assessment of the security situation.

Terrified mums pushing prams and elderly residents trying to get into their houses were forced to make their way through the melee.

They were seen openly urinating in the gardens of people's homes and downing cans ofbeer and bottles of Buckfast.

Bath Avenue resident Eamon Russell slammed their behaviour as a disgrace and said they had been gathered outside the pub since 4pm.

"This is getting totally out of hand, the gardai are here but they're not arresting anyone.

"This is just the scum of Northern Ireland, it's not the decent supporters. I've been living here 14 years and I've never seen anything like this. It's awful for local residents, trying to walk through gangs of lads hanging around with glass bottles in their hands.."

Earlier in the day, gardai had to be called to another disturbance after fans started heckling passerbys and motorists at approximately 4pm.

"At one point a motorist beeped at them to get out of her way and they started jeering her and surrounded her car," said an onlooker. "It was very intimidating and hard to believe it was happening in broad daylight as people were making their way home from work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I wouldn't believe a word printed in the Herald about football supporters of any hue.

I would have thought so much "mayhem" would have necessitated arrests from the watching Gardai.

stovelid wrote: »
    I wouldn't believe a word printed in the Herald about football supporters of any hue.

I would have thought so much "mayhem" would have necessitated arrests from the watching Gardai.

Well, that paper is known for sensational rubbish. The line of "Thousands of hardline Unionists forced pubs and businesses to close early" is probably not correct as not all NI fans are hardliners, I had seen some myself who were well behaved. Some businesses did close early in order to avoid the troublemaking section. My first post did say that I heard some trouble in Sandymount, the article describes said trouble.

Thing is this time most of the article is probably true from what I heard locally and also from few of youtube videos of said songs been sung outside Murrays on Bath Ave "Stick the tricolour up your hole" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKtRwr_0qp0

Also another video of fans singing sash there http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kafgj-m2PPE&feature=player_embedded

This election poster got a bit of dancing :)http://www.youtube.com/user/AaronLAKERS#p/a/u/1/BpOgcYTbxis

"Ulster till I die"
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AaronLAKERS#p/u/7/DE68xfKqCuU

I suspect the Gardai did not arrest anyone in order to not antagonise that section of supporters so it will not make the situation worse in a residential area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

Isn't Murrays well known as a kind of Nationalist pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Polar101

herald wrote:

Terrified mums pushing prams and elderly residents trying to get into their houses were forced to make their way through the melee.

That's some quality journalism there. Surely it would be possible to write an article without sounding too silly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭RoastBeefDinner

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭George83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Hopefully similar bans will follow for morons that sing 'Ra songs at any sporting event too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

stovelid wrote: »
    Hopefully similar bans will follow for morons that sing 'Ra songs at any sporting event too.

We won't be getting to that. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement