Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agóid Chiúin / Silent Protest.

• 09-02-2011 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭

Hi All.

It is Enda Kenny's Policy to Remove Irish as a Core Subject for the LC and make it optional. We in Cumann Gaelach UL Believe that if this policy was put in place, it would cause serious harm to the Future of the Irish Language. See the link for more information on the issue.

Kenny's move on Irish

To demonstrate our oppisition to this policy, We will be holding a 'silent protest' in Arthurs Quay Park at 12pm this Monday.
    For the silent protest we will have red tape over our mouths as a symbol for the loss of our language should this policy be put into practice.

This protest is being run in tandem with another protest in Dublin outside the Dáil.

Facebook, Agóid Chiúin

I would Like to invite anyone interested in the future of the Irish language to come along and take part in the Protest.

Is Mise Le Meas
    Christóir Ó Faoláin
    Uachtaráin, Cumann Gaelach UL.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Hi All.

It is Enda Kenny's Policy to Remove Irish as a Core Subject for the LC and make it optional. We in Cumann Gaelach UL Believe that if this policy was put in place, it would cause serious harm to the Future of the Irish Language. See the link for more information on the issue.

Kenny's move on Irish

To demonstrate our oppisition to this policy, We will be holding a 'silent protest' in Arthurs Quay Park at 12pm this Monday.
    For the silent protest we will have red tape over our mouths as a symbol for the loss of our language should this policy be put into practice.

This protest is being run in tandem with another protest in Dublin outside the Dáil.

Facebook, Agóid Chiúin

I would Like to invite anyone interested in the future of the Irish language to come along and take part in the Protest.

Is Mise Le Meas
    Christóir Ó Faoláin
    Uachtaráin, Cumann Gaelach UL.

On the contrary, I believe it would be a good idea to axe irish and make business compulsory. Unfortunately, Irish has no value and is of no use to graduates/school leavers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

What a good idea - time for change, maybe revamp whole leaving certificate while they're at it. Irish is such a waste of time for those who have no interest in learning it. It's also taught wrong in all schools with little emphasis on oral language. It may be suited to those who can afford grinds and have hundreds to spend on gaeltacht education but is not suited to all students. It is of no use to anyone and should not be a requirement for third level. Other languages have more value. Let's not be so patriotic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

liammur wrote: »
    On the contrary, I believe it would be a good idea to axe irish and make business compulsory. Unfortunately, Irish has no value and is of no use to graduates/school leavers.

I think the Students studying Irish in UL might disagree with you. If Endas Policy goes ahead, The Irish language department will be more than likely to close down in a few years.

It would be such a waste kill off the Irish language at a time when it is growing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

over hyped over costed over funded.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Hi OP, just want to play devil's advocate here and ask you how would you feel if the majority of people in the country supported the idea Enda Kenny has?
    I'm not advocating it. I just wanted to put the question to you.:)

• Advertisement

amiable wrote: »
    Hi OP, just want to play devil's advocate here and ask you how would you feel if the majority of people in the country supported the idea Enda Kenny have?
    I'm not advocating it. I just wanted to put the question to you.:)

Annoyed, It would mean the end of Irish as a living language. However, I dont think the majority support Enda's Policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

bmarley wrote: »
    What a good idea - time for change, maybe revamp whole leaving certificate while they're at it. Irish is such a waste of time for those who have no interest in learning it. It's also taught wrong in all schools with little emphasis on oral language. It may be suited to those who can afford grinds and have hundreds to spend on gaeltacht education but is not suited to all students. It is of no use to anyone and should not be a requirement for third level. Other languages have more value. Let's not be so patriotic.

I believe that from next year onwards the Leaving Cert will have 40% of total marks for the oral section.

There are alot of subjects taught in schools which students have no interesting learning but surely shouldn't be the criteria for its dismissal. The idea that it is of no use to anyone is highly debatable as learning and becoming proficient at one other language leads quickly to abilities in other foreign languages. With the gaelscoileanna education system growing so rapidly in the last 20 years, it is again highly questionable for it to be dropped. 20 yrs ago Limerick had only the one Colaiste and maybe one gaelscoil. Now there are 2 Gaelcoláiste and approx 6 gaelscoileanna within the city area. Should higher level maths be dropped cos alot of students aren't interested in learning it - hardly !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

OP, I'm still a secondary school LC student; and I struggle with Irish, and because of this I'm fearing failing it as it doesn't come natural to me, so in my opinion and in the opinion of most of those who do strugle with languages, it is a good idea to make it optional for the LC however making it compolsuary in JC would still keep it somewhat alive, and can keep the interest if there is interest. Just my input.

Annoyed, It would mean the end of Irish as a living language. However, I dont think the majority support Enda's Policy.
    I disagree. I don't think it would mean the end of the Irish language myself.
    I also have to disagree and say i think the vast majority of people would agree with Enda Kenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

If they keep the current system in place it will probably do more to kill off the language.

Having had to do it for the LC, I ended up hating the language for a long long time.

It would be better to make it optional AND revamp the way it is taught.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

I think the Students studying Irish in UL might disagree with you. If Endas Policy goes ahead, The Irish language department will be more than likely to close down in a few years.

It would be such a waste kill off the Irish language at a time when it is growing.

There will always be some casualties in decisions made. I would take no pleasure in seeing Irish downgraded, but I feel as a people we have to move on and become more competitive in areas such as computing etc.

In fact, I would like to see most other languages in europe downgraded as well, and make English the european-wide language for the future generations.

btw, there is a thread in the politics section i think on irish the irish language, you may want to inform people on that about your protest.

I disagree. I don't think it would mean the end of the Irish language myself.
    I also have to disagree and say i think the vast majority of people would agree with Enda Kenny.

Well you are entitled to your opinion, as are we, and we will be Voiceing (So to speak) it on Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

I have to say, I agree with the idea that it not be compulsary. I went to An Modh Scoil back when it was the only Gealscoil in Limerick, it was also when there was no male Gaelcolaiste in Limerick.

When I moved from primary to secondary school, I had massive problems in every class but Irish. which meant my grades dropped dramatically when I moved schools. I then had to work to bolster my other subjects which meant my Irish suffered. In the end i had to drop from honours Irish to pass Irish for my leaving cert in order to get a pass grade.

If I had failed Irish I would have failed my entire leaving cert and would not have been offered a college place, which I believe is very unfair. If you're not good at picking up languages (like many people aren't). Then you get punished by being forced to fail your leaving cert or pay ridiculous amounts for grinds.

I think the suggestion made above by XiledSniper is a very good and fair one, Compulsory to Junior cert with a revamped teaching method which focuses on people being able to speak the language, not being able to read a novel and discuss its finer points, discuss poetry etc etc. There would be a lot more people with a working knowledge of the language keeping it alive. Then you don't have to have it compulsory for the leaving cert this will help people progress with their learning without being in fear of failing Irish and ruining their chances of getting in to college.

Also may I add, that I do not hate the language, and my children when I have them will be taught the language and will have Irish spoken to them just because I want my children to know the language. However I will also ensure that they have a European language (possibly French) as this will be far more useful to them.

OP, I'm still a secondary school LC student; and I struggle with Irish, and because of this I'm fearing failing it as it doesn't come natural to me, so in my opinion and in the opinion of most of those who do strugle with languages, it is a good idea to make it optional for the LC however making it compolsuary in JC would still keep it somewhat alive, and can keep the interest if there is interest. Just my input.

Thanks, Our opinion is that the best way forward is to Split Irish in secondary school into two subjects,

One that would focus on spoken Irish and would be compulsory till the LC.
    The second would focus on Irish Literature and would be optional.

There are problems in the way Irish is taught now, There is no doubting that. But making Irish optional will not fix those problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Thanks, Our opinion is that the best way forward is to Split Irish in secondary school into two subjects,

One that would focus on spoken Irish and would be compulsory till the LC.
    The second would focus on Irish Literature and would be optional.

There are problems in the way Irish is taught now, There is no doubting that. But making Irish optional will not fix those problems.

With the new course in LC Irish in this year for 4th/5th years, it is a lot easier, however it is Irish in Primary Schools that should really be assessed, as it was here where I personally wasn't thought it very much, for various reasons (Could be due to the teacher wasn't a fan of Irish themselves), which can make the ability to use it later in life (Second level) a lot more difficult.

With the new course in LC Irish in this year for 4th/5th years, it is a lot easier, however it is Irish in Primary Schools that should really be assessed, as it was here where I personally wasn't thought it very much, for various reasons (Could be due to the teacher wasn't a fan of Irish themselves), which can make the ability to use it later in life (Second level) a lot more difficult.

I agree, I think the suggestion put forward by Conradh na Gaeilge would be the best solution here.

A second subject like Art, PE etc should be taught through Irish, This would mean that kids would have experience useing Irish rather than just learning It, And nothing would be lost in terms of class time for other subjects.

Well you are entitled to your opinion, as are we, and we will be Voiceing (So to speak) it on Monday.
    I didn't say you aren't entitled to voice your opinion.
    I admire you for it. I see you as the vocal minority

I agree, I think the suggestion put forward by Conradh na Gaeilge would be the best solution here.

A second subject like Art, PE etc should be taught through Irish, This would mean that kids would have experience useing Irish rather than just learning It, And nothing would be lost in terms of class time for other subjects.
    Which would in turn make it harder for people who are not good at the Irish language to train to teach Art and PE etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

In order for that to work, the teacher and every student in the class would have to have a high level of proficiency in Irish. And we know this is not the case.

If Irish is a growing language, it is certainly not because of what happens in secondary school. A few years ago, a panel from some concerned group of academics (it may have been the Irish Association for Applied Linguistics) sent a letter to the department of Education, highlighting the fact that the methods used to teach Irish in schools flew in the face of practically every theory of language acquisition. They never received a reply. In fact, when introducing language support classes for foreign children not proficient in English, the department, after having received this letter, simply copied the methodology used to teach Irish for the English language support classes.

Which would in turn make it harder for people who are not good at the Irish language to train to teach Art and PE etc

Teaching Irish is required of a primary school teacher anyway, doing a second thing in Irish dosent make it any harder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

If people are forced to do something, they will resent it. If, however, people do something voluntarily, they will internalise it and love it much more.

I'd prefer to have my children make a decision to voluntarily do Irish and love the language rather than the current issue of being forced to do it.

How does the OP feel about the increasing numbers of students in both primary and secondary school who are obtaining exemptions from the language because of issues such as dyslexia and dyspraxia?

To get things into perspective, my younger two children are entitled to exemptions from the language because of Specific Learning Difficulties but I haven't activated it because I believe the language is important for them. But they are far more enthusiastic about the language because they know that they can give it up if they are finding it too much of a struggle.

We live in a democracy. Surely we should be entitled to choose which subjects we do in our state exams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

I have 3 teenagers , all of them learning Irish since they first started school . All 3 of them hate it .

My oldest just did her leaving cert last June , after transition year she took up Spanish , two years of Spanish versus fourteen years of Irish and she ended up way better at Spanish . And it is pretty much the same story with my other two and I would imagine a lot of other parents on here would say the same .

Something drastic has to be done , nothing has really changed since I went to school and even back then my parents were giving out about it .

This policy might not be the right one but atleast someone is going to do something .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Why not make Shelta mandatory? That would keep an almost dead language (spoken by a minority of people at least) alive, too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭black & white

I agree with it being abolished as a compulsory subject. As far as I remember, all my 3 kids spent more time in primary school doing Irish than they did maths. Absolutely crazy way to go. The sooner Kenny does this the better.

And to agree with a previous poster about Spanish, I did Irish up to LC and have spent a few summers in Spain and I can speak far more Spanish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Some people have great difficulty with maths and hate it too, should we remove that as a core subject. If this is the basis for making things non-compulsary then its nothing short of a complete joke.
    I think its a sign of modern times when people no longer have any interest in their culture and heritage, a sad sad sign. Irish language is a big part of that and to say otherwise is wrong. But hey we 've got xboxes and cheap american and uk trash tv to occupy us and none of them are broadcast in Irish so why bother with it.
    I'm annoyed at myself for not trying harder with Irish in school, sure the way it was taught was archaic but I didn't apply myself enough either. New teaching methods for irish along the lines of how they teach european languages would be a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

I agree with it being abolished as a compulsory subject. As far as I remember, all my 3 kids spent more time in primary school doing Irish than they did maths. Absolutely crazy way to go. The sooner Kenny does this the better.

And to agree with a previous poster about Spanish, I did Irish up to LC and have spent a few summers in Spain and I can speak far more Spanish.

Were you sat in the classroom with them or are you just peddling nonsense. I never spent more time on Irish than maths in primary school.

Bicycle wrote: »
    If people are forced to do something, they will resent it. If, however, people do something voluntarily, they will internalise it and love it much more.

This was the argument that the Labour Government used in England. They were wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

This was the argument that the Labour Government used in England. They were wrong.

I wouldn't have thought there was an issue with language in England!! But I do know native Welsh and Scots Gaelic speakers and they will use their language more readily because it wasn't forced on them

I would be interested in seeing a rigorous longitudinal study done on Irish with two groups of children, one of whom were taught in the current "forced" situation and the other in a voluntary situation.

I'm still convinced that those not forced into studying the Irish would end up with a far stronger grá for it.

And to the poster who commented on Maths - I'm of the opinion that this should become optional some time in second level as well. I don't know about you but I really never saw the purpose of theorems as part of the process of life-long enlightenment.

I still argue, we are in a democracy. Let us/our children choose the subjects they want to do for Leaving Cert. And this applied to subjects that are mandatory as well as those that aren't. For example, a hypothetical Irish born person MUST do Irish in the Leaving Certificate unless they have an exemption but they cannot do Dutch in the Leaving Certificate unless they have Dutch connections (this situation pertained a few years ago when I was trying to work out LC options for my daughter and I have no reason to believe it still does not pertain).

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Taceom

The Irish language department will be more than likely to close down in a few years.

I don't think keeping a language dept. open should be relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

liammur wrote: »

Irish is a nice hobby and a quaint way to remember the days of yore.
    These days German, French, Spanish, etc... will serve you better and doesn't limit your business dealing to English speaking countries, a sad blind spot in the entire Irish psyche, as far as most people are concerned the world consists of the US, UK Ireland and maybe Australia.
    And learn a bit of Chinese while you're at it. You will need it in the future when they own us and the rest of the world.

Advertisement