Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scotland vs Northern Ireland

• 09-02-2011 8:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Better atmosphere than last night at least

Both teams seem up for this!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Dempsey wrote: »
    Better atmosphere than last night at least

Both teams seem up for this!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    :D

Broony injured in the warm up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Whats the crowd?

Who you up for Dempsey?

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Scotland brought a good crowd all things considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

df1985 wrote: »
    Scotland brought a good crowd all things considered.

a fair few merry kilts traversing the cobbles of Templebar earlier alright, i was thinking it was a weird day for a stags

Seems to be quite a few of our northern brethren along too. Everyone standing up too, instead of the morgue-like atmosphere normally in this kip. Raging I got stuck in work, I had a ticket for this.

• Advertisement

CiaranC wrote: »
    Seems to be quite a few of our northern brethren along too. Everyone standing up too, instead of the morgue-like atmosphere normally in this kip. Raging I got stuck in work, I had a ticket for this.

Maybe if you hadnt spent the day arguing on here you might have been more productive! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Whats the crowd?

Who you up for Dempsey?

:P

Not sure about the attendance but there is definitely more noise

I'm leaning towards Scotland because of the amount of players from the SPL. I'd like to see McCourt do well though, hopefully score one of those crackers that he is capable of but I'd like to see some early goals with both teams just going for it.

Bit annoyed that Scott Brown got injured in the warm up, hopefully its just a precaution.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :pac:

lol Miller.

What a miss by Miller!!

Normal service resumes after he gets his contract sorted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Any streams of this, lads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

My mates at it, got a txt, sat quite close to the northern ireland section-they were getting abuse shouted at them the whole time before the game, said his blood is boiling and everyone is firmly behind scotland! This is a lad who couldnt give a flying **** about the north/celtic/rangers etc etc.

Any streams of this, lads?

http://www.adthe.us/streams/CreepyTV2.html

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

Come on Scotland!

What a miss by Miller!!

Normal service resumes after he gets his contract sorted!

To be fair he's got a couple already in the turkish hoops.

And one now for Scotland.

Yay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Scotland 1 up, handy one for Miller. Bad defending there by NI.

Good atmosphere at the game, lot noisier than it ever got last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Can't believe the crowd/atmosphere! Great stuff.

Was joking, heard he's still scoring over there and he got a simple one there but that earlier one was a bad miss.

I can see NI falling away tbh, they dont have the same work ethic and organisation as Scotland. McCourt is playing far too deep imo

Commons looks very lively, great bargain signing by Celtic it seems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Norn Iron look awful, Scotland should be two or three up.

Should have been 2 there for Scots, good block.

Can't see NI getting anything out of this game, Scotland looking a lot better

Game over!

• Advertisement

Never meant that in a million years. Scotland look like they're going to give them a serious humping.

Was about to say McArthur is looking good, then he gets a goal to cap it off!

For all those who complain about the percieved bias towards Rangers in Scotland, i assume you all heard the fans singing "Can You Hear The Rangers Sing" right?

Lucky 2nd goal, that was never meant. But Scots are handing NI a lesson here, cud end up 4 or 5 nil.

Eirebear wrote: »

For all those who complain about the percieved bias towards Rangers in Scotland, i assume you all heard the fans singing "Can You Hear The Rangers Sing" right?

I cant hear anything over the drone of Ronny Whelan

Whats your point if it was being sung?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

From my experience, very few rangers fans actively follow the Scotland team. Mostly made up of fans of the smaller clubs. As for the singing, a bit of taking the piss obv. Now, if it was the SFA, or certain media figures singing it, that would be something.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

S.R.F.C. wrote: »
    Can't believe the crowd/atmosphere! Great stuff.

Both sets of fans on a short, cheap away trip. On the beer all day, bound to make for a bettre atmosphere. I'd imagine when this comp is in, say, Cardiff, the Irish/Scotland atmosphere would be similar.

I cant hear anything over the drone of Ronny Whelan

Whats your point if it was being sung?

My point being that the whole idea of the Scotland set up, and the Scotland fans being pro Rangers and anti-celtic is outdated and wrong nowadays.

The majority of the "Tartan Army" are simply name dropping teuchters with a severe hatred of anything south of Fort William.

My point being that the whole idea of the Scotland set up, and the Scotland fans being pro Rangers and anti-celtic is outdated and wrong nowadays.

The majority of the "Tartan Army" are simply name dropping teuchters with a severe hatred of anything south of Fort William.

I dont think thats conclusive evidence of anything tbh. You sure it wasnt NI fans singing it?

I dont think thats conclusive evidence of anything tbh. You sure it wasnt NI fans singing it?

Conclusive evidence? Christ man it was a throw away comment regarding the support of Scotland compared to the perception that people often hold, not a full blown investigation.

As for it being the NI fans, i was at the game at Hampden a couple of years ago when the teams met last and the Scotland fans around me gave a fantastic rendition of "Go Home Ya Huns" so i know where my money is in terms of who was doing the singing.

• Advertisement

Conclusive evidence? Christ man it was a throw away comment regarding the support of Scotland compared to the perception that people often hold, not a full blown investigation.

As for it being the NI fans, i was at the game at Hampden a couple of years ago when the teams met last and the Scotland fans around me gave a fantastic rendition of "Go Home Ya Huns" so i know where my money is in terms of who was doing the singing.

I suppose you stood up to go home :pac:

Almost wish i went to this now, anyone know if tickets were same price as last night for this? Scotland taking the piss out of norn iron.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

Delighted Mark Wilson is getting his first cap.

S.R.F.C. wrote: »
    Almost wish i went to this now, anyone know if tickets were same price as last night for this? Scotland taking the piss out of norn iron.
    20 blips. Still a bit pricy but much more realistic. Some tickets last night were fifty quid. Who in their right mind would pay fifty quid to see Ireland at home in an almost silent stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

20 blips. Still a bit pricy but much more realistic. Some tickets last night were fifty quid. Who in their right mind would pay fifty quid to see Ireland at home in an almost silent stadium.

:o

**** if i had known that i would've headed along. Yeah the cheapest tickets last night were €35, unbelievable, why not have even €20/25 and try and pack the place out.

• Advertisement

€50?? Were ya allowed to run out onto the field for that price like the 2 boyo's did??

FAI really do need to get realistic with ticket prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Great support from the ulster men. Shame about the ****e footballing team.

That's the mental thing. The FAI are treating Scottish and Northern Ireland fans with more regard than their own supporters. Why should a Republic fan have to pay €50 when a Scottish fan only pays €20?

I looked to buy the €35 tickets a month ago only to be told there were none available. Imagine my surprise then last week when I heard there were now suddenly plenty of them.

A combination of a shít NI performance with a solid Scotland performance.

NI's midfield were non existent which really allowed Scotland to control the match from start to finish. Scotland were really poor at finishing though and against better opposition that weakness will be punished

NI's midfield were none existent which really allowed Scotland to control the match from start to finish.

Something ive said about Steven Davis all season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I've been told that Phil Bardsley was very impressive tonight?

I didn't see the match myself and it was a fellow Sunderland fan that told me, so any unbiased opinions on his performance would be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Fantastic support from N.I tonight. Build my gallows :D

I don't understand what Nigel thought we could take from this with such a weak team.

Something ive said about Steven Davis all season.

Havent seen him play enough to disagree but tonight, playing himself and McCourt in midfield without a proper DM is just a disaster. Neither are going to get stuck in, especially McCourt. Having McCourt running between the midfield and defence and making simple passes is just a waste of what he's good at.

Paully D wrote: »
    I've been told that Phil Bardsley was very impressive tonight?

I didn't see the match myself and it was a fellow Sunderland fan that told me, so any unbiased opinions on his performance would be appreciated.

Yea, he played well but hard to judge how good when the opposition allow you to play like NI did. Himself and Commons destroyed their right side in the 1st half especially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Pretty annoying text on BBC...

Ollie, Worthing, via text: "So all this Nations Cup has proved is that Scotland and the Republic of Ireland are the best teams in the UK who aren't England? Insightful."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

Attendance: 18,742

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Yea, he played well but hard to judge how good when the opposition allow you to play like NI did. Himself and Commons destroyed their right side in the 1st half especially.

Cheers mate.

It's been an unreal turnaround by Phil these last 9 months. He was on the transfer list at Sunderland in the summer and now he's one of the first names on the team sheet every week, along with doing well at international level too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I read somewhere that these matches don't make a difference to the world rankings. Anyone know if this is true? Disappointing if that's the case.

Attendance: 18,742

Surprised by that, only 1,000 less than last night. Still if last night's tickets were €20 too, you could have added another 10,000 to that crowd easy.

I read somewhere that these matches don't make a difference to the world rankings. Anyone know if this is true? Disappointing if that's the case.

They are classed as friendlies by FIFA

If thats the case, couldnt McCarthy have played last night and still switched allegiance?

• Advertisement
Advertisement