Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scotland vs Northern Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Dempsey wrote: »
    They are classed as friendlies by FIFA

If thats the case, couldnt McCarthy have played last night and still switched allegiance?

Yes I believe McCarthy needs to be involved in a qualifier like the Macedonia game. That's a shame that FIFA doesn't recognise it as a competitive tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Few fisticuffs in D4 I hear

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,600 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Union Jacks being put up and pubs being destroyed around the Aviva at the moment. Will update if I hear more...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Jaysus, they're going wild on Adrian Kennedy now! Ban the fans!!
    Surely they must've expected some trouble.
    Typical minority of people acting the maggot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Guarantee Adrian Kennedy will be all over this tonight :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Could be a few Ireland fans going to cause a bit of trouble, there's always a few f*ckin eejits that would go to cause trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

antodeco wrote: »
    Union Jacks being put up and pubs being destroyed around the Aviva at the moment. Will update if I hear more...

There's a surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Hmm. Not sure of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

wrecking the place cost 10,000 damage
    bullets in the post couple of pound
    watching ireland beat the nordie pricks priceless :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

SantryRed wrote: »

Don't you mean Chris :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Hmm. Not sure of this.
    Hmmm its happening alright. :rolleyes: Not abit surprised, that windsor kip holds about 10 thousand and its all hardcore sectarian **** who support the National team.
    Imagine whats gona happen in May, if its not called off:rolleyes: This is why we havent had a friendly with Norn Iron or England in 15 years:(

SantryRed wrote: »

Its begun

Hmmm its happening alright. :rolleyes: Not abit surprised, that windsor kip holds about 10 thousand and its all hardcore sectarian **** who support the National team.
    Imagine whats gona happen in May, if its not called off:rolleyes: This is why we havent had a friendly with Norn Iron or England in 15 years:(
    If you say so.

I might be going to that game. I hope it does go ahead :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Pub owner in Irishtown says there was no trouble between 300 Northern Ireland fans and the scots

Could it maybe be that we are not used to big away support over here?

If I say so?:rolleyes: Are you surprised??:confused:
    Nice location and signature on an Irish messageboard:rolleyes: Clearly looking for a reaction Keith.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Nice location and signature on an Irish messageboard:rolleyes: Clearly looking for a reaction Keith.

Have you got any proof yourself of trouble?

Yes i am surprised. It was a match against Scotland. Not the Republic of Ireland. I expect trouble in May though.

Not first hand no.. but I know what there like. I heard the booing at halftime of the kids from the FAI course.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Pub owner in Irishtown says there was no trouble between 300 Northern Ireland fans and the scots

Turned it on long enough to hear that man speak. Typical tabloid fodder for tomorrow's "papers". Switched it off straight after the next caller (who hadn't seen any trouble) was goin on about FAYYSSS BEEWWWKKKK.....

Didn't Ireland and Northern Ireland play each other a good few times in the early 90's and there was no trouble?

• Advertisement

Adrian Kennedy show is funny lol. Didn't think swearing would be allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

God help them when its a Napoli-Liverpool Uefa Cup final :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

darragh16 wrote: »
    Didn't Ireland and Northern Ireland play each other a good few times in the early 90's and there was no trouble?

Yeah we beat them three nil down here Georgie Dunlop in goal:D very few northern irish fans travelled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Not first hand no.. but I know what there like. I heard the booing at halftime of the kids from the FAI course.

So what your saying is that you have no idea if there was trouble or not, but in your heart of hearts you find the idea rather satisfying.

People wanting trouble, will save it for May when ROI V N.I takes place.

Eirebear wrote: »
    So what your saying is that you have no idea if there was trouble or not, but in your heart of hearts you find the idea rather satisfying.
    Ofcourse I have an idea when I hear reports of the goings on earlier today. It wasnt just made up, granted it was probably a minority.

This is a local forum, for local people.

Ofcourse I have an idea when I hear reports of the goings on earlier today. It wasnt just made up, granted it was probably a minority.

But there also seems to be reports from people saying there was no trouble.

I mean, are we talking full scale wreckings of pubs here or a wee bit of handbags between drunk people?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Great support from the ulster men. Shame about the ****e footballing team.
    Best fawwwns in the world, sure! :rolleyes:

darragh16 wrote: »
    No Irish fans were allocated tickets when we played in Beal Feirste in 93 (when Billy the Bigot whipped the crowd into a frenzy) and 94 and from what I remember, there were a few Nordies in Lansdowne in 93.
    We played them in a friendly here in 1999 but it was pretty low-key and little trouble due to it being a 'Peace Match'.
    I do recall the Nordie fans cheering when they heard that Rangers had scored against Celtic in the Scottish Cup Final which was on at the same time. Sad bastards that they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Not as sad as the Irish fans booing the Danish player in 2002 who they thought played for Rangers. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

I do recall the Nordie fans cheering when they heard that Rangers had scored against Celtic in the Scottish Cup Final which was on at the same time. Sad bastards that they are.

hows that sad?like many irish and n.irish catholics who support celtic they would support rangers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

Disappointing result for Northern Ireland last night...but was expected considering there was no Taylor, Hughes, Evans, Cathcart, Brunt, Clingan or Lafferty.
    The only positive I could take from the game was Paddy McCourt...hopefully he starts in the next qualifier just behind Lafferty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,447 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

No Irish fans were allocated tickets when we played in Beal Feirste in 93 (when Billy the Bigot whipped the crowd into a frenzy) and 94 and from what I remember, there were a few Nordies in Lansdowne in 93.
    We played them in a friendly here in 1999 but it was pretty low-key and little trouble due to it being a 'Peace Match'.

The stupid, double standards, booing Old Firm thread is this way mate -> -> -> ->

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭PeteEd

Bullsheite

Was at the game, and happily drinking with the Scottish fans before and after the game, great atmosphere and NO TROUBLE<YES I'M SHOUTING>

Spineless performance from the North last night, going to need to bring back the Griffin thunderbolt for the game in May:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭PeteEd

only low key cause shay was the only man picking the ball out of the back of the net

A friend was campaigning yesterday.The scum started on him twice,once in sandymount and again outside a spar in ballsbridge.
    35 year old men,making their country proud!
    Hopefully a few got or will get there comeuppance before the tournament ends.

Said the guards standing around powerless as there were so many of them,throwing jack flags in peoples face and signing unionist songs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Chant of the night from the Scots...."you can shove your union jacks up yer hole":D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

I was at the game, majority of the Northerns behaved. So too the Scots. Sure the Scots (some) booed God save the Queen. Hardly headline pressing news. Banter after a few drinks.

We did the walk around Lansdown after for a look. Jesus, if you were at a Man U game you would see loads of half drunken ejects shouting "united United United". Of course the nordies will sing unionist songs, they are unionists. How many times have you heard gobsh*tes crapping on Fields of athenry with reference to Sinn Fein & IRA? Sure wasn't teh Dublineers (or some mimic group) version of ONE Road/Soliders song get belted out on the PA in Croker when Ireland played there. Intimidation, jesus there are some very senstive souls around the area. My god, you would swear that the rugby boys never acted the lout before.

I heard the news from a taxi driver and asked only one question, what radio station. The matter was blown out of proportion. The media would have had a field day. I reckon loads of people would have lllllllluuuuuuuuved it if there was trouble, something to whinge about. Sadly, i too expect some hassle in May, and more so from our own shower of idiots. I think they should close the bars in the Aviva for this one. Could always give pay back (ala 93) and not allow the anthems to be played, but that would be childish.

Someone mention Ireland have not played the Nordies in 15 years, get your facts right, yes they have. The last time we played them, they bet us 1-0- in lansdowne in a friendly in the early 2000's

Sure St Pats played Linefield a few years. A very minor scuffle occurred outside the tills, and all the media stupidly picked up that there was a riot:rolleyes:

Fair play to the Scots, brilliant atmosphere, and they spent god knows who much in the city. They say they will be back in May

• Advertisement

The last time we played them, they bet us 1-0- in lansdowne in a friendly in the early 2000's
    1999 actually, while we're being pedantic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

What's wrong with that?? They did it wind up a section of the Irish support, so ****ing what. If it was the other wway around, i'm sure the opposite would have happened. Big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

PeteEd wrote: »
    Bullsheite

Was at the game, and happily drinking with the Scottish fans before and after the game, great atmosphere and NO TROUBLE<YES I'M SHOUTING>

But there were incidents. Small in the scheme of things, but some Rovers pubs in Ringsend got attacked by NI fans and there was a dustup that the Scots won.

I was at the game, majority of the Northerns behaved. So too the Scots. Sure the Scots (some) booed God save the Queen. Hardly headline pressing news. Banter after a few drinks.

We did the walk around Lansdown after for a look. Jesus, if you were at a Man U game you would see loads of half drunken ejects shouting "united United United". Of course the nordies will sing unionist songs, they are unionists. How many times have you heard gobsh*tes crapping on Fields of athenry with reference to Sinn Fein & IRA? Sure wasn't teh Dublineers (or some mimic group) version of ONE Road/Soliders song get belted out on the PA in Croker when Ireland played there. Intimidation, jesus there are some very senstive souls around the area. My god, you would swear that the rugby boys never acted the lout before.

I heard the news from a taxi driver and asked only one question, what radio station. The matter was blown out of proportion. The media would have had a field day. I reckon loads of people would have lllllllluuuuuuuuved it if there was trouble, something to whinge about. Sadly, i too expect some hassle in May, and more so from our own shower of idiots. I think they should close the bars in the Aviva for this one. Could always give pay back (ala 93) and not allow the anthems to be played, but that would be childish.

Someone mention Ireland have not played the Nordies in 15 years, get your facts right, yes they have. The last time we played them, they bet us 1-0- in lansdowne in a friendly in the early 2000's

Sure St Pats played Linefield a few years. A very minor scuffle occurred outside the tills, and all the media stupidly picked up that there was a riot:rolleyes:

Fair play to the Scots, brilliant atmosphere, and they spent god knows who much in the city. They say they will be back in May
    Hearing people ringing that radio station and moaning about Northern Ireland fans putting the Union flag on polls was just so sad. Shock horror, loyalists singing and having Union flags. :eek:

Hearing people ringing that radio station and moaning about Northern Ireland fans putting the Union flag on polls was just so sad. Shock horror, loyalists singing and having Union flags. :eek:

Ignore that show. Its full of plants, cranks, nutters and spoofers. It long ago became a parody of itself and reflects nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Hearing people ringing that radio station and moaning about Northern Ireland fans putting the Union flag on polls was just so sad.

But if that's what was happening how will we know what way people intend to vote? :mad:

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote: »
    But if that's what was happening how will we know what way people intend to vote? :mad:
    :pac:

Seems there is people just waiting for trouble to happen in May. They will be all over it. :rolleyes:

Seems there is people just waiting for trouble to happen in May. They will be all over it. :rolleyes:

Jeez a visit from Norn Iron and Rangers in the Europa League final in the space of a month!?
    (I know...I know...)

It doesnt bear thinking about.:eek:

Its the same for Rovers v Bohs.

Look at when Linfield were playing Pats in the Setanta Cup. No trouble but when a Linfield fan fell over drunk and cracked his head, the Indo led with a front page picture of him being led away for treatement by the cops. "Trouble flared etc."

Compare and contrast with the coverage trouble in the Gah gets if you are interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

I've no doubt there will be trouble in May, its inevitable that louts from both sides will make the journey for that reason alone.

Was at the game lastnight and I dont think I've ever witnessed such a poor performance. Granted it was a depleted side but we were absoultely woeful in all areas.

Thought the fans were great though, didnt see any trouble while I was drinking around the area before and after... and must say the Scotland fans were great too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Its the same for Rovers v Bohs.

Look at when Linfield were playing Pats in the Setanta Cup. No trouble but when a Linfield fan fell over drunk and cracked his head, the Indo led with a front page picture of him being led away for treatement by the cops. "Trouble flared etc."

Compare and contrast with the coverage trouble in the Gah gets if you are interested.

Any incidents involving pitch incursions, attacks on refs etc get widespread coverage in the media nad rightly so. What you wont have in the GAA is crowd trouble to the extent that it exists or threatens to in soccer

• Advertisement
Advertisement