Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Operation Transformation

Options
  • 09-02-2011 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else watching? It's not going all that great for them this year I have to say. I've rarely seen anyone not only fail to hit targets but also gain weight during the week on this type of show. It's sad stuff to watch, it just goes to show how hard the process of losing weight can be!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

yeah their really not shifting the weight was much this year.

also thought they would have some more fella's on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Yup, this is two years in a row now that there's only been one male, it's a bit mystifying.

It's a bit of a trainwreck, maybe that's why it's ending sooner than usual!

yeah was thinking that it wasnt on for long at all this year.

wonder will it be on next year?

emo!! wrote: »
    yeah was thinking that it wasnt on for long at all this year.

wonder will it be on next year?

Who knows, but if it's not then at least I won't have to look at that sourpuss doctor on the show anymore! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ynul31f47k6b59

I feel so sorry for them when they don't hit their targets, fair play to them for having the guts to go on TV in the first place, I'd never have the balls to do it. It's hard, and personally I think it's not really a good thing to have it so short - I'd sooner see a programme last a few months and give people time to adjust to a new lifestyle. It's a big shock to the body to go from 0 to 100 in a few weeks. My two cents anyway :)

• Advertisement

I feel so sorry for them when they don't hit their targets, fair play to them for having the guts to go on TV in the first place, I'd never have the balls to do it. It's hard, and personally I think it's not really a good thing to have it so short - I'd sooner see a programme last a few months and give people time to adjust to a new lifestyle. It's a big shock to the body to go from 0 to 100 in a few weeks. My two cents anyway :)

It's definitely not something I'd put myself out there into, so fair play to them alright. It has to be awfully humiliating when things don't go according to plan and in front of the nation to boot.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    It has to be awfully humiliating when things don't go according to plan and in front of the nation to boot.

And that doctor Eva/Ava - she's terrifying, reminds me of the Principal I had in Leaving Cert years ago - I think that woman would genuinely scare me, unless she plays up the Ms. Nasty thing for the camera. :( Also, is it my telly or is anyone else surprised when Kathryn announces their weight? I've never really considered myself as massive, but I'm feckin heavier than one of those people!!!!

Saying that, I do prefer this to The Biggest Loser - all they seem to do on that programme is bully people into sweating the weight off.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Its set up really badly - no great variation in size/gender - too many women all around 14-15 stone. You can be overweight at 10 stone - need to deal with that too cos its a completely different challenge! Also I don't understand why only 1 man.

Had to laugh tonight when the girl who was forced into what looked like a crap night out - Twink at the Gaeity for god sake - gained weight. I don't think it was her fault!

Who on earth is producing this?

And that doctor Eva/Ava - she's terrifying, reminds me of the Principal I had in Leaving Cert years ago - I think that woman would genuinely scare me, unless she plays up the Ms. Nasty thing for the camera. :( Also, is it my telly or is anyone else surprised when Kathryn announces their weight? I've never really considered myself as massive, but I'm feckin heavier than one of those people!!!!

Saying that, I do prefer this to The Biggest Loser - all they seem to do on that programme is bully people into sweating the weight off.

Don't like TBL all that much myself. I mean at least OT for all its faults is trying to be realistic, whereas TBL locks people away from their lives for months on end. They don't have to worry about work or their family, they just go to the gym every day and get their meals cooked for them. It's not something your average schmoe can follow with ease now is it?

I know what you mean when you say some of them don't look too big but alas, some people can carry the weight well.

I think I'd gain weight if someone brought me to see Twink :)

I'd assume that the reason they picked so many similarly-sized women was because the show is filmed in such a short period of time, a couple of stone would make a dramatic difference on someone at that starting weight. I think it actually can take a hell of a lot of hard work, maybe sometimes moreso, for someone who's only a stone overweight - people struggle with it for years.

Unfortunately, it's all about ratings at the end of the day, but I do like the added campaigns on it this year (not entirely happy that the TV licence paid for some lad to wander round New York filming the calories in fast food places, but there ya go). The Count me In campaign is otherwise really good, I nearly died the first time I saw the calories in McDonalds. Haven't been there since. There's a list of calories on the underside of every tray leaflet in McDonalds too, anyone who eats there should have a look - the amount of salt is what scared me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

The woman on that one, the skinny blonde one, looks like a bully and annoying. Yelling at someone in the gym about "where's that big rugby fella gone that you used to be, this isnt the real you is it" is just wtf :confused:
    And then giving out to some woman for eating a bit of cheese. Just takes the block of cheese out of the fridge and yells "you're not losing weight because of CHEESE"
    ehm okay :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I HATE operation transformation:mad: All i remember after each show is that stupid depressing coldplay sounding song ssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, and black screen borders everywhere. Its the same unadulterated crap every time.

But I watch it because I need to lose weight. IMO none of the people on it this year are in desperate need of losing weight. A few stone maybe, but they could all live happily ever after just the way they are. I've seen fatter aul ones in their 80's. They should have nobody under 20 stone on it IMO.

Is it just me or does permanent-frown Catherine Thomas always say at the end of the show that you can follow any of the leaders, from any series, by looking them up on the website? I want to follow the 25 stone young lad from before, but I cant find any season except the current one on the website! Am I wrong, is it only this seasons people you can follow? And if so, how can I find out about previous seasons leaders?

Missed it last night, anyone want to give me a summary? :pac:

Missed it last night, anyone want to give me a summary? :pac:

They all exceeded their targets and then went to dinner at Kathryn's house. That was about the height of it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Not something I watch regularly but I found the xfactor style attitude from the panel the few times I caught it truly disturbing especially especially from the older blond lady :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

I've been watching. I do like that it's a realistic portrayal of losing weight, rather than the 'glamourised' Biggest Loser version with the massive all-equipped gym, house, trainers at their fingertips, everything provided (although I do watch TBL too, mainly for the drama(?) of it).

What I'd love to see with all of the weight loss shows is a follow-up a year later to see if they've kept the weight off. At least with Operation Transformation people will have gotten into the routines at home so I'm guessing that while the weight loss isn't as dramatic, it's probably more effective overall.

Eva though...jesus christ. I just cannot stand that woman. How many times now has she accused people of not sticking to the plan and been completely and utterly wrong? At this stage it's like she's completely shocked that they're doing what they're supposed to be. And my god...that challenge they did this week? Yeah, she was very much not up to that. /rant

Final is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭Shelga

I like Kathryn's dress but her hair is godawful! :eek: Ahem, on to the actual programme... Have been watching it since the beginning this year and I do like that it's done realistically, they do need to vary it up a bit more than just women in their 30s/40s who are 4/5 stone overweight. The leaders are very courageous to be on a show like this but Eva is incredibly annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

They are all looking fantastic tonight. They have done great. would love if RTE now did a follow up for the programmes from last year and the year before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Didn't really follow this show, but that girl Emily looks great.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Eimear2010

Does anyone know where emily got her dress for the show tonight it was amazing.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Eimear2010 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where emily got her dress for the show tonight it was amazing.:)
    Emily
    Jacket & Dress by Libra €350 at www.arnotts.ie
    Earrings €39 Fran & Jane
    Ring €49 www.cocoboutique.ie
    Shoes €68 www.debenhams.ie

Link: http://www.rte.ie/ot/finale.html
    :)

I was really short this year, and tbh i thought they would of loosing more.

again would really like if they did a follow up story , like TBL did with the winner last year, and he was very honest in saying that he actually put up 2 and a half stone straight after leaving the house.

I know ye say TBL is more unrealisitc and they have everything at there finger tips, but would you think any of the leaders in OT will lay off now , cause they dont have to report to any at the end of the week... my thinking is at least one of them will

I was really short this year, and tbh i thought they would of loosing more.

again would really like if they did a follow up story , like TBL did with the winner last year, and he was very honest in saying that he actually put up 2 and a half stone straight after leaving the house.

I know ye say TBL is more unrealisitc and they have everything at there finger tips, but would you think any of the leaders in OT will lay off now , cause they dont have to report to any at the end of the week... my thinking is at least one of them will

Ah yeah, I'd say some will slip up. Some people need the possibility of public humiliation to keep them motivated unfortunately. :pac:

hmm yea like one person on in in particular i couldnt see sticking to it, altho she might be the one to surprise everyone , if they only did a follow up!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Ah you'll have that happen no matter what the type of show. But I'd imagine it's a much bigger shock to the system to revert back to normal life after being on the Biggest Loser set training full-time, doing challenges, having the camaraderie with the others, being away from your family for three months and all that.

hmm yea like one person on in in particular i couldnt see sticking to it, altho she might be the one to surprise everyone , if they only did a follow up!

The blonde one? Yeah she's a big risk, I think she's the best example of how being overweight can be a lot more than just a physical issue. I think she needs a bit of counselling.

yeah i guess, but then the get the advantage of having a huge weight loss, so that might urge them to like not go back to there old ways

The blonde one? Yeah she's a big risk, I think she's the best example of how being overweight can be a lot more than just a physical issue. I think she needs a bit of counselling.
    yeah her...

deffo , and at least in TBL they touch on a bit of TLC to

• Advertisement
Advertisement