Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home automation via GSM

Options
  • 09-02-2011 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if anyone has experience using GSM controller cards for home automation?

I was researching the uses of a GSM card and would like to try installing one to control turning the central heating on/off via a mobile phone. I appreciate there is a lot more you can control with these devices but have to crawl before I can walk :)

The cheapest I could find online are around the €150 mark. Is this about right or have I not been looking in the right places? Thanks.

K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Gate Automation

It's OK Don't take cheaper because You can have problem later ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

It's OK Don't take cheaper because You can have problem later ;)

Couldn't find any cheaper ;)

Although I have found a company in Navan that does supply the controllers.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

for heating must be switch

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Gate Automation, how do you mean it must be a switch??
    A relay is an electrical switch basically...

As long as the contacts are rated for the load/voltage then there should not be an issue ??

Mike.

• Advertisement

Mike2006 wrote: »
    Gate Automation, how do you mean it must be a switch??
    A relay is an electrical switch basically...

As long as the contacts are rated for the load/voltage then there should not be an issue ??

Mike.

exactly, but GSM Relay means that relay will be on for example max. 20 sec. You can change this time on settings, but it's some limit example between 0.5 to 20 sec. Relay give just impulse like switch for door bell. It's great for gates.

GSM switch means that when you call for gsm unit your call activate relay and keep in ON position until you call again and then relay will be OFF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭bobdole968

which mobile networks are you guys using for these systems
    i have had problems with vodafone e.g. If you do not use the number for 170 days, the number is disconnected but can be reconnected by making a top up and a call. If the number is not used for 270 days, you will lose the number and any remaining credit.

O2

Advertisement