Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American visiting Mayo

Options
  • 09-02-2011 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hey everyone. My wife and I are going to be taking our "delayed" honeymoon to Ireland this summer. We're going to be spending some time in Mayo, as that's where my wife's family were from (her gr-grandparents married in 1905 in Castlebar).

If anyone can help out, I'd like to get some ideas on what to do/see in the area, preferably that doesn't fall into the traditional "touristy" traps. Maybe things that could be described as traditionally Mayo, I guess, for lack of a better term. Thanks, much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 laurarachel

Hope you enjoy your visit to Mayo. Some suggestions for you:

Climb Croagh Patrick - west of Westport. Lots of tourists do the climb but if its a sunny day you will have fantastic views and its not a 'tacky' tourist experience.

Cross the road when you come back down Croagh Patrick and walk down to Murrisk Abbey. Visit the little graveyard and walk along the shore. Peaceful spot. If you Geocache there's one hidden there. . .

Have a pint in Campbells at the foot of Croagh Patrick and eat in the Tavern nearby.

Walk/swim the beach at Carramore, Louisburgh.

Walk/swim/surf Cross beach west of Louisburgh. When you're coming back uo from the beach, take a turn to the left and visit the 'Clapper bridge'.

Walk Silver Strand - a bit further west.

Visit Clare Island - west of Louisburgh.

Cycle/drive through Louisburgh, and out the Leenane Road, past Doolough and Delphi, and on to Leenane.
    Read up a bit about The Famine Walk before you go.
    Find some information on how the Choctaw Indians helped Irish famine victims in the 1840s. Despite lots of holiday houses built in Mayo in recent years, this road is still pretty unspoilt, and the light/shadows on the mountains and lakes is incredible.

The Museum Of Country Life outside Castlebar is worth a visit for a taste of what life might have been like for your wife's ancestors. Interesting stuff and no leprechauns in sight!

Cycle the Greenway - off road cycle path from Newport to Achill - the track might be complete from Westport by then, but not sure.
    Visit Matt Molloy's pub for some good music.

I'll probably think up some more to add later. Bring wind-resistant and rain gear.

Sorry, I realise I have directed you towards the west of the county but I'm sure Castlebar people will tell you lots of things to do there. And the west coast of Mayo is fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

Laurarachel has given some superb ideas, in the western part I would also highly recommend the drive from Louisburgh to Delphi/Lenane it is stunning, maybe at that point cross over into Galway, well no choice really stop in Lenane for the traditional pub. then if you plan to go to Galway also then go west to kylemore abbey, Cliffden, coast road to roundstone and into ballinahinch castle and the quiet man cottage. If not going Galway direction, go towards Mamm cross, then turn for Cornamona/Clonbur/Cong either along lough na Fouie or via cornamona and lough corrib. this will take you to cong the setting for the Quiet man movie and Ashford Castle. also in that area are several ancient tombs and a pyramid. from there back into Castlebar via Ballinrobe. alternatively you can turn at Clonbur for tourmakeady, which takes you along the lake lough mask, the local waterfall is a must, this will take you back to castlebar via Partry

you can also go north from Castlebar towards ballina via the beautiful lough Conn, from ballina go towards Killala, ballycastle and visit the cliffs at Downpatrick head, then onto the Ceide fields from there head west towards the Belmulet area, but don't be put off by the New Corrib Gas terminal controversy, the area is beautiful. maybe return via crossmollina and through the Neiphin mountain range.

Also Achill Island is a must, if you are very active take a hike up to the cliffs at Croaghaun which are amoung the highest cliffs in Europe, the nearby beach of Keem is one of the most picturesque in the country.

most of all, keep your time open, do not restrict the amount of time in one place, just keep a rough schedule just a few target areas and then you will be able to enjoy them at your own pace. Get out and meet people, local people in bars shops or farmers along the roads are a mine of information, enjoy your time and good look with the wedding

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Just don;t mention "The Field".... ;)

Enjoy your staying, we are lovely in Mayo sure we are ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

OP, my other half is from Mayo, Ballycastle to be precise. The Ceide fields are there (oldest neo-lithic site in Europe) Also Downpatrick Head which is where St. Patrick drove the snakes out of Ireland :p.

If you need somewhere to stay around there PM me as the in-laws run a B&B.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

You might also enjoy a trip to Cong [Where the Quiet Man was filmed] The tea shop opposite the Abbey is very good. Then if you time it right go to the races at Ballinrobe and enjoy National Hunt Racing. [That's over the jumps - not actually hunting]

Westport house is worth a visit.

You might like to check out Covies which was filmed in Mayo. Shows the beaches at Achill, Silver Strand, Croagh Patrick etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Here's my 0.02 worth. Everything mentioned above is worth while. I'd advise going to Inish Turk rather than Clare Island, the welcome is warmer.
    The waterfall in Tourmakeady is stunning, beats the socks off Aashleagh falls which is the one touted in all the literature. The more rain we've had the better it is.:)
    Matt Molloys is ok but it's not the only pub in Westport, nor the only one with trad music. If you're in town just walk around of an evening and follow the sounds. MM's will be always full of tourists.
    Also if you drive to the summit of Inishnakillew (about 6 miles from Westport, Newport direction) you'll get the most incredible view of Clew Bay and all the islands. Most locals don't know it exists, never mind the tourists.
    As someone else said I'll let the Castlebar people tell you what's on offer there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

If your around the swinford area have a look for hennigans heritage centre in killasser, website here: http://www.hennigansheritage.com/ If you have heard of the hardy bucks, you will also see some locations used for filiming around swinford, within 20min drive from castlebar, 30min drive from westport.
    Some info on the hardy bucks here, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardy_Bucks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Sugarfree

In terms of Castlebar, its not really a touristy town. You could catch a show at the TF royal theatre www.theroyal.ie or depending on what time of the year you could see a GAA match at McHale park or Play Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Lots of good suggestions.

Have a pint in the snug in Johnny McHales

Take a spin out to Glenisland (< 5 miles) and drive up to the top of the Booster station-probably the best views in all of Mayo if not Connaught.

Have lunch or dinner in Healys-Pontoon (9 Miles and a spectacular drive)-I heard they had a fire so hopefully-they are reopened by summer

Moore Hall out in Carnacon-old Mansion that was burned to the ground during War of Independence

Round tower in Turlough-4 miles

Ballintubber Abbey-maybe do the Tochair Padraig if you are fit enough

Enniscrone is defo worth a trip if you are in Ballina-spectacular beach and you can grab a seaweed bath while you are at it

(google all the places mentioned on this thread-good chance you will find a photo on the Castlebar website)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

All of the distances listed above are from Castlebar.

What part of America are you coming from-I live in Boston myself

Instead of going to a football game in McHale park, try to find some local Junior football game between 2 rival neighboring parishes.

Red Sox/Yankees rivallry wouldnt be in the same league as some of the rivaliries that exist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

whitey1 wrote: »

Ballintubber Abbey-maybe do the Tochair Padraig if you are fit enough

I second this. It's one of the few institutions founded by an Irish High King that's still in continuous use. Founded in 1216. Parts of it were destroyed by Cromwell, but parts remained intact and the ruins are impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Screwjack

Thanks for all the great suggestions, I really appreciated it. And I'll definitely check out Ballintubber Abbey (It's already on my "must see" list for my family heritage search).

Here's a question or two...doing some research on my wife's family heritage in Mayo. Her great grandparents got married in 1905 in Castlebar at "Our Lady of the Rosary". I saw it listed, I think, on the Castlebar.ie site, but the last mention was from around 2001, I believe. Does anyone know if it's still in use?

Also, on their marriage certificate, her gr-grandfather Patrick listed his residence as Knockglass, which I know is near Crossmolina, but I found him listed on the 1901 census at "Knockglass House". Does anyone know about where that is? Also, her gr-grandmother Annie was in the 1901 census at "Derrydorragh, Cloonkeen, Mayo" and on the marriage certificate listed her residence as Ballymacrah (could be different, having some trouble reading her handwriting).

Again, I really appreciate all the suggestions so far, and any help you can offer on this stuff.

What part of America are you coming from-I live in Boston myself

Southeastern Wisconsin. Just about 25-30 minutes south of Milwaukee and about 45 mins north of Chicago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

Screwjack wrote: »
    Her great grandparents got married in 1905 in Castlebar at "Our Lady of the Rosary". I saw it listed, I think, on the Castlebar.ie site, but the last mention was from around 2001, I believe. Does anyone know if it's still in use?

I imagine it's the Church of The Holy Rosary you're looking for. It's most certainly still in use and is just a couple of minutes walk from the town centre. Have a look at this http://towns.mayo-ireland.ie/WebX?14@74.J5s7bFrgbhx.0@.ee795eb
    Screwjack wrote: »
    Also, her gr-grandmother Annie was in the 1901 census at "Derrydorragh, Cloonkeen, Mayo" and on the marriage certificate listed her residence as Ballymacrah (could be different, having some trouble reading her handwriting).

I would say it's probably Ballymacrath which is only a short distance out of Castlebar towards Westport on the N5. Incidentally, Cloonkeen is probably only a mile away as the crow flies so it could be one and the same place maybe.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Museum of country life Turlough Castlebar is well worth a visit... beside the turlough round tower and only short distance from Castlebar..

this and more on the link below

http://www.museumsofmayo.com/countrylife.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

Knockglass House used to be the Church of Ireland Bishop's Palace, according to this report. It's listed on the buildings of Ireland website. It may be that her relatives worked as servants there.

Advertisement