Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending Network

Options
  • 09-02-2011 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Need a bit of advice.

Currently having a cabin built out my back to house my new office and I would like to extend my network out there.

The current setup in my house is UPC BB with a Linsys WRT54GP2 router. I have provisioned a CAT6 cable to run from the house to the cabin. what Id like to achieve is to have the same network in the cabin as I had in my house, ideally leaving the modem and router in the house and then "a device" that will give me wireless and ethernet ports in the cabin also.

What kind of device do I need for that? Would it be a wireless access point or some kind of wireless switch (is there such a thing).

Thanks in advance
    GOMP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Get a wireless access point. If You stick with linksys You can give them both the same name and password and your devices will roam. You must set it to a different channel to prevent the signals overlapping. If the first is on channel 11, set the second to channel 1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-Wireless-G-Access-Point-WAP54G/dp/B0007SQG1M/ref=sr_1_33?ie=UTF8&qid=1297284684&sr=8-33

The router in the house will then handle all routing

Edit, I see on a re-read the need for ethernet ports in the cabin (access point would only be wireless), just get a Linksys router, You'll need to change the subnet on it so its different to the other one. Login and change the lan ip from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1, disconnect and then reconnect.
    http://elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1136421&productID=S3107041

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭GetOffMyPatch

Ahhh sweet - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Edit, I see on a re-read the need for ethernet ports in the cabin (access point would only be wireless), just get a Linksys router, You'll need to change the subnet on it so its different to the other one. Login and change the lan ip from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1, disconnect and then reconnect.
    http://elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1136421&productID=S3107041

Unless it's a large network then there won't be any need for sub-netting, just turn off DHCP on the secondary router and it'll connect fine via ethernet to the current network.

Also, if you happen to have a spare router knocking about GetOffMyPatch then that will do the job fine for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭GetOffMyPatch

If I get a belkin wireless router, (getting one free) does it make a difference. It was suggested earlier in the thread that I get another linksys. Does that matter or is the point just to use the same name as the existing network?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Should work, just be sure to turn off DHCP on the belkin before you plug it in and make sure the wireless channels don't overlap.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

Can you connect 2 wireless modems to extend the signal without connecting them by Ethernet? can it be done over the air? if so how?

Advertisement