Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RROD or no??

• 09-02-2011 9:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭

So I put in Alan Wake to play for the first time today, got about 20 secs in, and the xbox froze (wouldn't respond to the remote, had to turn off at the button.) When I turned it back on, the 3 red rings I've googled so much about came up. That was the only time that happened. I turned it back on and got back into alan wake from the dashboard, for it to freeze again..

I thought hey maybe disc is scratched so I downloaded the game onto hdd and tried to play again, whereupon it froze and I turned it off at the on button. I took out the disc and I turned the machine on it and it froze on the dashboard. I waited an hour, put in deadspace disc, and it allowed me to play for about 5 minutes before a freeze, but no reappearance of the RROD apart from that very first time, which I put down to turning on again too fast after turning it off at the time (prob not correct but I always treat technology with the appropriate sometimes it just does sh1t sometimes mindframe).

It is about 4 years old, should I just consider myself lucky and replace it? I thought it might be the power for a while but when I turn it on the power light on the adapter is green from orange in standby....? I've been thru all the microsoft tech support alleyways....?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

sounds to me like your xbox is on its last legs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭cml387

That's how it starts.You done good for four years.

Consider it an essential piece of home equipment to be replaced,like a refridgerator.That's how I justify it to Mrs CML.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Might be worth having it repaired?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭supersaint3

Thanks for The replies lads, i think for the sake of a 4 year old machine I'll cut my losses and go with a new one. That little xbox paid for itself a hundred times over. My next noob q is- can I retrieve my save games and all the games I've bought off xbox live to my new machine somehow??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

That happened to me a few months back and i ignored it and never bothered to get the xbox fixed. Now its got rrod and needed to be sent back, so your better off getting it fixed or getting a new one.
    You can take the hard drive out of your xbox and put it in a new one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Thanks for The replies lads, i think for the sake of a 4 year old machine I'll cut my losses and go with a new one. That little xbox paid for itself a hundred times over. My next noob q is- can I retrieve my save games and all the games I've bought off xbox live to my new machine somehow??
    youre better off buying a new one repairs dont usually last that long
    yep you can transfer your saves across using a usb stick or hard drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

I'd go down the road of buying a new console but getting the older one repaired cheaply by a non-MS centre. Then use the older one as a cheap media extender to a TV elsewhere in the house and stream your movies to it. If you don't use the disk drive, it will probably never overheat again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭Batmantastic

When you get the new console, go to xbox.com/drm and follow the steps, you'll need to be signed in with your gamertag on the website, and when you do the transfer, sign into your new console within half an hour and just re-download everything. They can be on your hard drive when you download to make it quicker. It's basically downloading the licences for everything to your new console

Advertisement