Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

advice about wedding photography!

• 09-02-2011 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi, I need a bit of advice. I'm a studio photographer (its not much of a studio, but it does the job). I also did a fetac course in photography. Now its been 2 years since i did the course. And my equipment is very dated. I have a Nikon D40 (which i am not very fond of) but i just cant afford to update it. I have the kit lens and a 50mm (which i love). I have a speed light, which is a bit dodgy cos the battery compartment is kind of broken. I have to hold it a certain way for the batteries to connect for it to work. I havent even done much photography since i finished the course (except for work, but i dont exactly call it a place where you can be creative and do your own stuff, its all very regulated). But dont get me wrong, i love it, but i've lost my confidence big time.
    Anyway,I got a call a while ago from someone I kind of know who was looking for a wedding photographer for someone he knows, and i said that i wouldnt really have the equipment and basically told him no. but just the last while ive been thinking about it and i would love to do it! I have never done a wedding before!!! I might be able to get someone to do it with me tho, But i dont want to mess this up as it's a wedding!!! I wouldnt charge them too much! I didnt even ask him when the wedding is on, or where. I dont drive, but i probably could get someone to drive me.
    Is it a good idea to take this on?? (i really do hate my studio job alot, and mainly because of the creative restraint, ive been there almost 5 years now!!) does anyone has any advice??? Its not the money im after, but the photography. And i know i could get some lovely shots with my 50mm. But i cant use just that lens. What kind of lenses and filters would be essential to have?? Thanks in advance :)
    (edit : i also have photoshop CS3 )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

shooting wedding photography is a dedicated area - maybe you should ask in the main part of the photo forum instead of digital darkroom (maybe a MOD will move it)

Anyway - there's plenty of threads about what equipment wedding photographers use, it all depends on how you want to capture the day - most photographers use a combination of lenses....to give different style of images instead of the same style.

Some use off camera flash techniques to achieve a different lighting exposure, some use external lights to control the light in the shot, some use available light only (and generally avoid indoors)

Reflectors, pocket wizards, filters, memory cards, more memory cards.

the idea is to shoot pretty much everything - ALL DAY, then let the bride/groom choose from the pics that you took to make an album.

its not easy to do wedding photography and many here will tell you that you cant price yourself out of it - if you do it cheap/free in an effort to "get your name out there" you risk not being taken seriously, if you are too expensive or cant provide the "right" package - you wont get continued work.

Wedding photographers generally make money through word of mouth - in the last few months I've been asked 3 times if I can recommend a wedding photographer - my response is that I know some and can get a couple of quid knocked off but its upto you if you want to use them....I cant really vouch for the quality of some of them as I've never seen their work - but I know they shoot weddings.

if you want to shoot imaginative images - get out when you are not in the studio and do some private work ... do some landscapes, cityscapes, seascapes, .... do some people photography, experiment with light painting or other photo techniques.....let your inner artist flow !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jaybeeveedub

the first thing you'll need is a good flash, preferably with an off-board powersupply esp at this time of year....

I have a 580ex and even with the best rechargable AA's you can miss shots....

I have 4 sets of 2800mAh AA's and a 15 min recharger and even at that they die quickly, well they still work but recycle time drops away very quickly...

I'm pretty sure Conn's will hire one out....

Lens wise Im a canon user so I don't know, but I did a wedding with just a 24mm 50mm and 85mm and its probably one of my favorites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Hi Poozers,
    I posted a thread about what your talking about here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056170858

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Im glad you're not in for the money as there isnt really that much in it, people gawp even at my prices and Im cheap enough, no matter what you charge they assume you're ripping them off.

As for the equipment, you would really need to borrow or rent, a kit lens just wont give you the resukts you want. Everyone has to start somewhere and if they were happy with you using kit equipment fair enough but you would be fighting to get the light especially in a church.

The d40 iso capability is very low, I had one as backup when I started and kept it only maybe 2 or 3 months and upgraded to a d200 which is a pretty good backup. You definitely would need a good flash, I like to use natural light in the curch as much as possible but I find on bright sunny days I need a bit of flash to fill shadows.

If you arent used to weddings I would suggest tagging along at one or two beforehand to ensure you know how the day usually runs, you neeed to know the key moments so you know where you should be at what time etc. Have a look at borders thread to get some ideas too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Troll?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

A photographer, looking for photographic advice, a troll?

Borderfox's thread on this page has great advice, check it out OP. You're going to have to rent some gear or splash out on some new stuff or you will struggle to get through the day and come out with great pictures. Which is what a bride expects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Can we all stick to helping answer the OP's question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

:rolleyes:

Write out a plan of what you want to do and what you need in terms of gear and/or training. Do a couple of weddings to build up a portfolio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

the first thing you'll need is a good flash, preferably with an off-board powersupply esp at this time of year....

I have a 580ex and even with the best rechargable AA's you can miss shots....

I have 4 sets of 2800mAh AA's and a 15 min recharger and even at that they die quickly, well they still work but recycle time drops away very quickly...

I'm pretty sure Conn's will hire one out....

Lens wise Im a canon user so I don't know, but I did a wedding with just a 24mm 50mm and 85mm and its probably one of my favorites

Wouldn't advise using rechargeables on a 580, Don't seem to work as well as non rechargeable.

• Advertisement

I use Uniross 2700mha ones in the 580exII and eight more in a battery pack, thats all I would use for a whole wedding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭showit

poozers wrote: »
    Hi, I need a bit of advice. I'm a studio photographer

What type of studio do you run - with one camera & two lens ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Wouldn't advise using rechargeables on a 580, Don't seem to work as well as non rechargeable.
    Sanyo Eneloops?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

Sanyo Eneloops (very good battery) - thats what i have! very good batteries bloody expensive tho :)

recycling times is/can be a bit of a prob ok - it's possible to burn out the bulb too if too many shots are taken too quickly, i think Canon are introducing a continuous light speedlight for video use i wonder would it be more robust that previous models.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭poozers

HI everyone!!! thanks for all the replies!! :) but i've decided not to do it! I just don t have the confidence to take on something like that so soon (found out its on in july!!!)!! and i dont have the money to be buying new stuff, or even renting it out!!! i'm not too bothered by it to be honest, it's not my "lifelong dream"... it might have been a good opertunity tho, but not now! ive recently been using film...i love it!!! and i got my hands on a canon Ae1 and film scanner, and it is absolutely amazing...but i wouldnt quite trust it yet to do a full wedding with it...and i definitely dont think a bride and groom would have much confidence in film (at this day in age especially)!! :o they'd probably look at me like i have 3 heads if i turned up with an old and battered looking 80s camera!!!

showit - the studio i work in is actually film, and is not even a brand of camera (i.e nikon, canon)...its a make made especially for the company, with preset aperatures/shutter speeds etc... its CRAP!!!! i hate it!!! :(

thanks again everyone for all your help...i definitely will keep note of everything you said too. :)

Advertisement