Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

starter ideas?

Options
  • 09-02-2011 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

Planning a dinner party next week for 6. I get really stuck with starter ideas. Any help welcome. Have done bruscetta, stuffed aubergine, parma and melon a couple of times, as with soup. preferably simple, of course!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

What are your other courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭paddles

haven't decided yet! but will be most likely a chicken dish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Smoked salmon?

I'm only suggesting it because I have a caving for smoked salmon though...

A possibility. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭n0irin

An unusual one (unusual in that I've never been given it before) that was used at a dinner party I went to last year was Deviled Eggs/Eggs Mimosa with Paprika. Somewhat old-fashioned, I know, but really simple to do and a nice light starter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭jassha

paddles wrote: »
    Planning a dinner party next week for 6. I get really stuck with starter ideas. Any help welcome. Have done bruscetta, stuffed aubergine, parma and melon a couple of times, as with soup. preferably simple, of course!

Boille goats cheese wrapped in wonton wrappers. Deepfried ,served with dressed salad and a sweet chilli dip. To die for

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Chicken liver pate.
    So easy, plus can be made well in advance.
    Just serve it with toasted brioche.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Individual potato tarts - I've yet to meet someone who doesn't love these. Serves 8.

500g potatoes, peeled & cut into chunks
    200g filo pastry
    150g freshly grated, very mature cheese such as cheddar or double Gloucester (preferably with herbs)
    3 large eggs
    100ml milk
    1/4 of a nutmeg

1. Cook your spuds in a pot of boiling salted water and cook for 15 minutes.

2. Preheat oven to 190C.

3. Grease 8 cups of a muffin tray. Cut each sheet of filo into quarters and layer them about 3 thick into the muffin moulds, brushing each layer with a little oil and allowing a little overhang around the edges. Cover with a damp tea towel and set aside.

4. When the potatoes are done mash them with the milk and season to taste. You want the mix quite creamy, so add a little more milk if you need to. In a separate bowl mix the eggs, grated cheese & nutmeg. Add to the potatoes and mix really well. Spoon into the filo moulds and scrunch the edges of the pastry up to make a rim. Brush all over with a little more oil, then pop into the oven for approx. 12-15 minutes, or til the pastry is golden and crisp.

5. Allow to rest for 10 minutes, then serve with a little pile of baby spinach & spring onions.

On the goats cheese vein...again goats cheese in wanton wrappers but on a bed of rocket drizzled with honey. Very simple but an absolute divine taste. I normally never eat stuff with honey as I don't have a sweet tooth and I find it overpowering but it just goes so well with this dish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭mw3guc

My 3 favourite starters - prawn cocktail, egg mayonnaise or stuffed potato skins. All easy to make and can be prepared in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Bacon wrapped jalepenos..
    I'd eat them for breakfast lunch and dinner! So amazing!

You can breadcrumb these but the bacon aspect is alot easier..
    Try using streaky bacon or param ham, back bacon just won't work with these.

Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeños

Yields 40 appetizers
    Prep Time: 20 minutes
    Bake Time: 20-30 minutes

Ingredients:

20 whole, fresh jalapeños (available in Aldi/Tesco)
    16 oz of cream cheese, softened at room temperature
    500 to 1 kg of bacon

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 180 c . Place a wire rack on a baking sheet and set aside
    2. Cut the jalapeños in half, lengthwise. Remove the seeds and membranes. Stuff each jalapeño half with cream cheese. Wrap each jalapeño half with bacon. Secure with a toothpick.
    3. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes. If after 20 minutes the bacon doesn’t look brown enough, turn on the grill for a couple of minutes to finish. If you use your grill, make sure to keep an eye on them so they do not burn.

You can serve immediately or at room temperature.

Tip: Make sure you only wrap the jalapeño's with the amount of bacon necessary. If the pepper is short, cut some bacon off so you don't over wrap it. Common sense will prevail and you'll know what too much or two little looks like when you get to work :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

I swear, Lornen. You are like my food-soul-mate. Or clone or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

reallyrose wrote: »
    I swear, Lornen. You are like my food-soul-mate. Or clone or something.

I'd say we could have some pretty impressive dinner parties alright! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

2 eggs per omelette and a 20"pan.

1 tbsp of Soy sauce and water mixed with the eggs.

When the omelette is cooked cover one side with green curry paste and a homemade paste of spring onion and chili and sprinkle with corriander. Roll the omelette tightly and the cut in half. Then cut it in half again. You can stand them on a plate and serve with thai fish sauce mixed with chillies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭mw3guc

darrenh wrote: »
    2 eggs per omelette and a 20"pan.

1 tbsp of Soy sauce and water mixed with the eggs.

When the omelette is cooked cover one side with green curry paste and a homemade paste of spring onion and chili and sprinkle with corriander. Roll the omelette tightly and the cut in half. Then cut it in half again. You can stand them on a plate and serve with thai fish sauce mixed with chillies.

That sounds delicious - and easy to ring the changes with too. Thanks for the idea. :)

Thanks for the great ideas, people! I must say, reckon I'll try the Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeños. Thanks Loren!
    But great ideas for future entertaining! :-)

Advertisement